Yilan tragedy - Nanfang Ao bridge collapsed

I would agree. The first cable to snap seems to be the 7th cable from the left.

Workspace%201_169

As the bridge surface slumped downwards, that was followed by the entire section of cables giving way on the left side.

Workspace%201_170

Some are now saying the connector between the structure and the cable is the point of failure. It might be, but again, one cable or connector failing shouldn’t have cause the entire bridge to go, unless all of them were degraded significantly due to poor maintenance.

4 Likes

Salt! Corrosion!
I guess no one ever thought going up to the arch and have look there.

1 Like

Yup, all of them likely bad but it only took one failing to cause the domino effect.

I’m gonna take a guess and say that the maintenance on the left and right side of cables were done by different teams. The team servicing the right side were probably more skilled, and the left team were likely noobs.

The left cables had issues way before the bridge collapse, but the right side was carrying most of the load, until that one cable on the right side couldn’t handle it anymore and snapped, which transferred all the weights to the shoddy left side and down goes the bridge.

What probably happened is the cable rusted in the salt/volcanic air. Those things are supposed to be periodically checked. Or wrong treatment/steel used causing low corrosion resistance.

May even be bad engineering, not enough safety factor accounted for in its engineering.

1 Like

What’s up with all the bridge collapses that Im seeing lately.

They had issue where a major bridge collapse in Italy last year. And they realized most of the bridges aren’t maintained very much and some not at all. So instead of maintaining and making sure they’re still structuraly sound. Guess what they did…they get rid or half the lanes on bridges now. So a 4 lane bridge now becomes a 2 lane bridge.

Italy isn’t known for their efficiency

That was just ridiculous. They knew that bridge was dangerous.

1 Like

Transportation officials said it was not yet possible to determine if a magnitude 3.8 earthquake that occurred at 1:45 a.m. Tuesday in seas off Hualien County and registered an intensity of 4 in nearby Nan’ao in Yilan had anything to do with the incident.

Ayiooo…

3 Likes

In a year in Taiwan I saw a train crash and one bridge collapse, corruption.

1 Like

(long reply warning)
this started as an answer to @Andrew0409 but then i expanded on it :wink: second part not really aimed at you.

This is probably a work around for the time being as they are not allowed to shut them completely, people hate to be inconvenienced.

Inspecting the structure after years of neglect is a big job. A load bearing structure like a bridge even more so, you have to physically inspect every component, completely re-survey the bridge and surrounding area, take core samples, Xray and ultrasound if possible. once you have all the information, then you need to re draw it all up and do all the calculations factoring in any shifts or fatigue you have found.
This is normal a team effort with experts in different fields collaborating. Without any previous inspections there is a bit of detective work involved trying to work out when and how any faults occurred, how fast they are expanding and is this a constant or a variable.
After this is done you then put together your report and recommendations with your name on it so that other people have got someone to point at if anything is missed.

This report will then be used as the base for any future work to be carried out, if anything should go wrong at some point they will go through it with a fine tooth comb hoping there is some way to shift the blame.

It’s difficult sometimes to find a company who will take on the responsibility and if they do its at a cost.

1 Like

Wow, I was thinking the problem could have been caused by chabuduo maintenance, but now that they mentioned a very weak earthquake it’s clear to me that was the case. No need to investigate any further.

4 Likes

Just wait until you experience your first mid-size earthquake and a couple buildings made out of cardboard and soup can scaffolding collapse.

Seems 2 fishermen died

Never go fishing under a bridge.

Bad luck. RIP.

Heads should roll for this tragedy, but we all know that’s not going to happen. If anybody does take the fall, it’s gonna be some low-level peon. Seen this script a thousand times. Cough…Puyuma…cough.

The guy that checked on the bridge last!

Last inspection: three years ago.

4 Likes

jesus