Y'know it isn't funny to make fun of ICRT

ICRT taipei sucks. ICRT kaoshiung is much better.

but in my opinon. ICRT taipei is just a payola clearing house.

[quote=“Infidel”]I agree with everyone except Hobart. ICRT is poo poo.[/quote]What are you talking about, I already said it sucks. I just said, it wasn’t made for you, it was made for Taiwanese so of course it sucks. This is Taiwan, what did you expect, a radio station just like back home? You should consider yourself lucky there is any English at spoken on the radio or English songs played on the radio, even crappy ones.

We’re in general agreement that it sucks. Where we disagree is the idea that we’re lucky to have it. Personally, I think it damns us to hell, and if it were taken off the air, we could all add a few more days to our lives. Are you lucky to have that motorcycle that says “For your nice scene” just because it has some English on it? Lucky to have that “Happy pig” t-shirt? Fortunate indeed to have that little kid pester you on the street with “hellohowareYOUUUUUUUUUU!!!”

Besides, not everything made for Taiwanese sucks. I kinda like the food.

its trash… i cant believe how ron stuart actually stays on air. victoria london can stay however… :slight_smile:

I don’t buy that. The revenue is likely there but they chose (I assume) to not pursue it.

[quote=“Doctor Evil”]

In 1983 ICRT would play requests for cuts off obscure albums by the Kinks. There was no Chinese spoken. How is that targeting Taiwanese?[/quote]

Yeah, however that was 23 years ago, lots of water under the bridge since. I don’t think they would play it today.

[quote=“Mr He”][quote=“Doctor Evil”]

In 1983 ICRT would play requests for cuts off obscure albums by the Kinks. There was no Chinese spoken. How is that targeting Taiwanese?[/quote]

Yeah, however that was 23 years ago, lots of water under the bridge since. I don’t think they would play it today.[/quote]

You’re right but I was replying to the untrue claim that ICRT had always targeted the Taiwanese market. After they shifted focus it was true but certainly not before.

1979-1983 only 4 years, and back then the fact that the station was rescued by foreign interests would still be in clear memory.

You are right.

[quote=“Mr He”]1979-1983 only 4 years, and back then the fact that the station was rescued by foreign interests would still be in clear memory.

You are right.[/quote]

It was more than 4 years…I just mentioned 1983 because I remember listening on ICRT to “Property” off the Kinks’ [i]State Of Confusion[/i] album. ICRT’s true spiral into oblivion came in around 1990-91 when they tried their hand at “investigative” journalism and pissed off both the KMT and it’s Big Business cronies. Several people lost their jobs and there were later rumors over the mysterious death of one of the announcers in a pool on Yang Ming Shan.

I don’t buy that. The revenue is likely there but they chose (I assume) to not pursue it.[/quote]
Their market research is done by ACNeilsen, which doesn’t include foreigners in its surveys. Therefore, for ICRT, foreigners don’t exist in terms of advertising.

I don’t buy that. The revenue is likely there but they chose (I assume) to not pursue it.[/quote]
Their market research is done by ACNeilsen, which doesn’t include foreigners in its surveys. Therefore, for ICRT, foreigners don’t exist in terms of advertising.[/quote]

and thats because foreigners dont listen to it! :slight_smile: viscious circle…

The ECCT (European Chamber of Commerce in Taipei) certainly seems to think ICRT is an indespensible communtiy service. The Better Living Committee’s Position paper says that ICRT must be protected from pirate radio stations and government interference.
http://www.ecct.com.tw/committees/0_position_paper/2005-06_ECCTPositionPapersBetterLivingEnglish.pdf
Most people join committees to serve their own interests in addition to the actual purpose of the committee so it should be no surprise to find that Rick Monday of ICRT is the co-chair.

On a side rant about the position paper in general it is essentially a wish list of things that would make Taipei more European. Most of them nice ideas but not always practical. Here is my outline of the paper:

1. English Language Environment
    1.1 Emergency response services are not adequate for English speakers. I’m sure this is true, but again, it’s not practical.
    1.2 English-language media, aka ICRT, are God’s gift to foreigners. What I want to know is why does the cab driver either turn on ICRT or an English language learning program. Is he doing it for my enjoyment or to show how cultured he is. This is the only time I listen to ICRT.
    1.3 Romanization.
    The signs are a mess of different and incorrectly applied systems. Hanyu Pinyin has become the standard and should be adopted. I fully agree with this, but of course there are political issues here and it would still be misspelled as it is not used as the local phonic system.
    2.0 Domestic Help.
    It is the right of all rich Europeans to keep a filipina maid. This is just common sense, as a foreign housewife couldn’t be expected to clean up after her kids and have tea at the American Club. I don’t have any sympathy for this “issue”.
    3.0 Access for the handicapped
    This needs to be improved. Again I’m sure this is true, but would require a massive overhall.
    4.0 Traffic Enforcement
    Traffic laws need to be enforced and keep the scooters off the sidewalks. I agree there are some people driving with their heads up their asses and this is widely overlooked, but you will never get scooters off the sidewalks (if there are sidewalks) because there is simply no where else to park.

“ICRT - Your English speaking radio Station.”
Cue 5 minutes of Chinese commercials, a Mando Pop song that really sucks and Hakka hour.
They claim in thier jingles to be an English speaking radio station regardless of their real target audience, but they don’t back it up with the necessary English.
The should just cut the hype and be a normal chinese radio station.

Hobart, there are a few radio stations in Taiwan that don’t suck. I find your view pretty stupid that just because it is Taiwanese, it sucks.

But ICRT is crap. If stood on a box in the street and started singing the quality of broadcast material would be 10 times better. In my view, ICRT doesn’t even pass for a radio station…

Haven’t listened to ICRT in nearly two years 'cos I can’t seem to pick up the broadcast from my apartment. I’m on the ground floor and surrounded by other buildings (lovely view… :wink: ). When I last listened to it I thought it was fairly ok. So what’s the station frequency? I’d like to try and find it and see what the fuss is about…

All right, let’s settle this ICRT sucks debate once and for all – by getting it straight from the DJ’s mouths. Be sure to check out the amazing broadcasting credentials.

Joseph Lin

[quote] My given name is: Joseph Shaw Lin.
The Chinese name I use now is 林哲修, but if I tell you the Chinese name I used up until my 17th birthday, I’d have to kill you!
When I’m on the air, they call me Jockey Joe or JJ.
I was born on April 9th, in Detroit
And I grew up in Columbus, Chicago, Taipei, and Los Angeles.
I have a degree in Information and Computer Science, plus Electrical Engineering, and took up my MBA at UC Irvine, home of the Anteaters!
I joined ICRT in March 1997. Apart from hosting the Weekend Getaway, I also make occasional guest appearances at fine clubs around town. [/quote]

Eric Tu

[quote] “Urban Groove” show host
Show Time: Saturday and Sunday, 4PM - 7PM
If you want to tell me something, you can send me an email at urban@icrt.com.tw
B-Day: August 2…Yes I am a LEO
MIT: Made in Taiwan
Education: BA in Business Economics w/ an emphasis in Accounting and Finance. MCSE certified (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer) 5 years advanced on camera/scene study/cold reading/acting classes
You know, I’m a chill and mellow kind of dude. I’m out here doing my thing, going towards my dreams. [/quote]

Melvin Tan

[quote] Birthday - September 15th
Birth Place - Taipei
Academic Degree - UC Berkeley with a double diploma in Music & Economics
Working Experience : 在美其間:美國銀行、AT&T行政管理及行銷企劃、舞台劇編導及演員 回台灣後:魔岩唱片編舞、Hit FM主持人、無數簽唱會&記者會主持人
Horoscope - Virgo
How long have you been living in Taiwan? … 6 years
Favorite pastime : 聽音樂
Special Talents : 下廚,做好吃的甜點
What do you think about ICRT? 台灣唯一的英語電台,也是練習英文和聽好歌的絕佳管道 [/quote]

I’d do more, but frankly, it makes me nauseous. Before I puke all over my computer, might I remind you of these wonderful services for the international community:

Oh and let’s please not forget about the infamous rap about taxes contest.

You’re right, ICRT is not funny. It’s fucking pathetic.

Ack, choke, sputter, puke BLEAHHHHHHHH

its not what you know…

And that’s only the boys … the girls are even worse … the pitch of their voices is nauseating

And that wife-beater guy. You can clearly see his nipples. Clearly.
Disgusting.

[quote=“sandman”]And that wife-beater guy. You can clearly see his nipples. Clearly.
Disgusting.[/quote]
And Joseph Lin has a ball tickler. Or do some people still call it a “soul patch”?
Ah never mind, I guess it’s more of a goatee.

it is pretty bizarre that 99% of the announcers have typically unfriendly radio voices.