Yoga

What is the situation like there for yoga classes? How common are they, and are they available with English instruction? Likely in Taipei, but any information would be helpful.

Thanks in advance for this one, and thanks to all who have been replying to my other posts.
hoovenmonkey

[quote=“hoovenmonkey”]What is the situation like there for yoga classes? How common are they, and are they available with English instruction? Likely in Taipei, but any information would be helpful.

Thanks in advance for this one, and thanks to all who have been replying to my other posts.
hoovenmonkey[/quote]

Pretty darn common. Have a Chinese friend help you find a class. The teacher will most likely be speaking Chinese, so take a beginner’s class so you can understand the terms in Chinese if you don’t speak it. Not so hard. Don’t bother paying extra for classes that may be in English at California. Find a local studio.

isn’t there some english community center that offers yoga classes among others…

I know that American Club has a class, but I think there is a place downtown that offers private lessons, in English. I will need to call a few people… PM me if I don’t get a reply to you soon.

hello!

I’ve just arrived in Taipei and I’m wondering if anyone knows places where I could find yoga classes… I use to practice quite often, but alone it’s not much fun and difficult to keep the rythm (lazy me?). The thing is that the room I stay in for the moment is quite small and I don’t want to have a black eye…
I am learning shiatsu as well. Does anyone knows other practicioner or people interested in that? My mother tongue is French, but I am speaking English and learning Chinese…

Yoga and Meditation classes in English are conducted in all major cities in Taiwan by Ananda Marga teachers from India and other countries. For information about classes, times, etc. go to www.anandamarga.org.tw or call 02 29333036

Most fitness clubs here have yoga classes. My wife attends classes several times a week at California Fitness Center, which has plenty to choose from at all times of the day from early morning to evening. Some of their instructors are very good, though they also have a few trainee instructors who are pretty lousy (especially those taking the early-morning classes).

If you’re interested in doing some Iyengar style yoga classes, I’ve got a small group going near Taipower Bldg. MRT. Contact me through my email (ajardine@rocketmail.com) if you’re interested and I’ll give you more details.

bump

bump

Avoid Saturday morning classes, though! I stopped because they had no cap on how many people could attend; mats jammed together, people actually touching you when they move 'cos no space, people yapping, taking phone calls, etc, etc. NOT relaxing; I just couldn’t concentrate at all.

Nee haw. The name’s Jen Wen. I just started teaching nights over @ a studio off of Guting station. (you may know him as the swami salami. His website: theswamisalamischoolofyoga.com/)

My classes are on Tues, Thurs & Friday nites from 815pm - 945pm. As a promotion, classes are $100NT until 11/20. Below is a brief description of my style & roots. Please text me if you’re interested in attending. Feel free to pass the info on. Thank you! :slight_smile:

My love of yoga started with Bikram and Astanga in San Francisco, CA. In 2005, I completed a 250-hour course and received my teaching credentials. Then I started practicing Vinyasa yoga, paired up with meditation and sound yoga.

This year, I spent 6 months in India, learning & teaching yoga. For 3 months, I took lessons from Surindher Singh, a Sikh teacher, in Rishikesh. Then I completed a 150-hour course with Agama Yoga, a unique yoga that looks inward & works with chakras & energy. I started teaching at Kriya Yoga Ashram in Rishikesh & in Tiruvannamali.

The yoga that I share is built around Ashtanga and Hatha – building strength, flexibility, and flow. My practice is centered around the breath, holding the postures, and going inward. I also incorporate and encourage self-expression, sound yoga, and light meditation – as I believe that society inhibits true expression of the self and time to focus on ourselves. These sessions are for you to open your body, connect with your breath, and leave the studio feeling refreshed and relaxed. Classes are in English and Chinese.[color=#000080][b]

Classes are: Tues, Thur, & Friday from 815pm -945pm [/b][/color]

Address: Roosevelt Rd, sec 2, lane 101 no19, 6F
(MRT: Gu Ting Station, exit 3 - go straight, take a left @ the Family Mart. Veer right & it’ll be on your left.)
Taipei, Taiwan R.O.C.

[color=#000080]To reserve classes, please text at least 2 hours prior to class. Thanks![/color]

[color=#000080]Jen’s info:
Email: thejenwen@gmail.com
Mobile: 0930 932 595[/color]