Yong zhongwen zenme jiang native speaker?

‘native speaker’ means, someone who speak with his mother language,
in mandarin is ‘说本族语的人’ or

Kan bu dong chicken scratches.

[quote=“Cming Guo”]‘native speaker’ means, someone who speak with his mother language,
in Mandarin is ‘说本族语的人’ or

A slight variation on the solution given by ironlady and shengmar:

yi YINGweN weI muyu zhe

… to mean native English speaker. Probably not used in speach so much, but I’ve seen it in a written context, and I think the use of “zhe” is a more accurate translation, because it acts just like the English “-er” suffix to mean “one who…”. It’s a very productive little suffix, as in:

ZHI chI zhe - “supporter”
XIAO Fei zhe - “consumer”
chaO Sheng zhe - “pilgrim”, literally “one who faces the sacred”
min gan yA chi zhe - “a person with sensitive teeth”

I won’t write out the Chinese cause bob don’t like’m. Anyway, bob, the “zhe” I’m talking about is the right side of the pig character.

Xie xie ni mangalica. It is wonderful when you have been wondering what something meant and someone comes along and tells you. Zhe = er basically. Fantastic.

By the way does anybody know how to say “I was wondering what zhe meant.”

and

“She tried to relax but that just made her look confused.”

and

“She let the ball fall to the floor.”

Xie xie ni o! :notworthy:

“Ta shi fanyi”? Do you mean “Ta zuo fanyi” or “Ta shi fanyizhe”? Or something else?"[/quote]
Sorry, Tetsuo, you are wrong on this one. Fanyi means translate, translation or translator, so “Ta shi fanyi” is OK, or “Ta dang fanyi.” Dang 當 is often used to say what job one does.

I think he meant guoqu.

Praise to Bob for his efforts with Hanyu pinyin, including pretty good word division (there are rules about that!) Bob - I think you will overcome your aversion to Chinese charactes eventually.

Thanks for the encouragement Juba but somehow I doubt that I will ever really get into characters. I am pretty old for language study already and there are so many other things that I want to learn. I have started including simple characters on my bathroom list however. (In case you are wondering a bathoom list is a list written on the tiles with a whiteboard marker. It erases after two months as easily as it does after two seconds so it it a great place to throw up a few words. I possess an incredible tolerance for review.)

Bob,

Here’s a list of other “zhe” words, and other words grouped by what I call patterns. It might help you with character retention.
http://www.geocities.com/mangalica/people-synonyms.html

I’m also not a native speaker but let me try these …

wo yizhi dou xiang “zhe” zhege zi daodi shi shenme yisi (ne)

ta rang tade qiu diao dao diban shang

Thanks so much mangalica. I tried to connect to the link you posted but my computer is having another one of it’s moods unfortunately.

I am not sure if you regard these quetsions as a fun little challenge or no but I have a million of them, and this is stuff I actually need to learn to do my job so… :notworthy: to anyone who cares to respond.

The next one I have is “She realized it was difficult to control her facial expression so she just gave up.”

Thanks in advance.

“Ta shi fanyi”? Do you mean “Ta zuo fanyi” or “Ta shi fanyizhe”? Or something else?"[/quote]
Sorry, Tetsuo, you are wrong on this one. Fanyi means translate, translation or translator, so “Ta shi fanyi” is OK, or “Ta dang fanyi.” Dang 當 is often used to say what job one does.
人家没错呀~ 他是翻译 这里的 翻译 是指代 从事翻译的人 是名词 translator
而 要是你说 一个人 當 翻译的话 有可能说 是暂时性的 客串一下翻译的职能。

I think he meant guoqu.

Praise to Bob for his efforts with Hanyu pinyin, including pretty good word division (there are rules about that!) Bob - I think you will overcome your aversion to Chinese charactes eventually.[/quote]

还有就是
native speaker 可是说成是 母语者
如,english native speaker 就可以说是 英语母语者。

[quote=“mangalica”]Bob,

Here’s a list of other “zhe” words, and other words grouped by what I call patterns. It might help you with character retention.
http://www.geocities.com/mangalica/people-synonyms.html

I’m also not a native speaker but let me try these …

wo yizhi dou xiang “zhe” zhege zi daodi shi shenme yisi (ne)

ta rang tade qiu diao dao diban shang[/quote]

Here’s another zhe word

1. when you’re riding a horse, and want to go faster, you say, zhe zhe.

2. when you’re a poor cantonese speaker, and you say zhe zhe, it sounds like you’re saying penis.

Nice to see my “yong zhongwen zenme jiang” thread has been revived. Finally connected to mangalica’s link which I enjoyed very much. I was suprised to discover that farmer meant “cow husband.” Those kinky chinese! And I am a little confused about “buther.” Is that a butcher with a lisp? Anyway, great link. If I could study in big charcaters like that I might be overcome my aversion to them after all.

O.K. on to todays question…

Is there any grammatical device similar to participal adjectives in English? For ex. He bores me. He is boring. I am bored. The closest I have come is - Ta shi3 wo gan3dao4 wuliao. Ta ling4 ren juede wuliao. Wo juede wuliao. I have no idea how to work in “to me” and “by him” to get, “He is boring to me”, and “I am bored by him”.

Help! :notworthy:

Actually … that should be “zenme” … no space :unamused:

[quote=“ironlady”]Here’s a try:
“Yao xuEhao YI zhong ZiraN yuyaN de* Hua, xuESHENG BiXU nenGGou QUFen ButonG de* DONGXI Han GaiNian (biFANG SHUO, guOQu Han WeilaI shIJIAN), Bingqie XUYao Yong cI laI biaodA ZheXIE QUbiE.”[/quote]

Maybe use 過去與未來的時制 (past/future tense) instead of 時間 (time). Just a thought … :wink: