Yongning MRT hike and lunch at Belgium Pie's June 3

Okay, just announcing this. No exact time yet. But we’ll take the MRT out to the new Yonging station, hike in the nearby mountains for a few hours and then go to Belgium Pie’s for a late lunch.

Chris has already said he’s interested, and Brian will likely go too. Who else?

Belgium Pie? You mean “Belgian Pie” don’t you? :stuck_out_tongue:

(I’m still moving house. We keep running into “obstacles”, Taiwanese style, so I still can’t make it. Sounds good though.)

[quote=“Muzha Man”]Okay, just announcing this. No exact time yet. But we’ll take the MRT out to the new Yonging station, hike in the nearby mountains for a few hours and then go to Belgium Pie’s for a late lunch.

Chris has already said he’s interested, and Brian will likely go too. Who else?[/quote]

I’m in depending how late a lunch and where Yonging station is currently situated.

[quote=“Ironman”][quote=“Muzha Man”]Okay, just announcing this. No exact time yet. But we’ll take the MRT out to the new Yonging station, hike in the nearby mountains for a few hours and then go to Belgium Pie’s for a late lunch.

Chris has already said he’s interested, and Brian will likely go too. Who else?[/quote]

I’m in depending how late a lunch and where Yonging station is currently situated.[/quote]

I’m not sure but I don’t believe it’s a floating MRt station so it should be in its permanent location. In any case, what do you mean by late lunch? My day is pretty open so I don’t care. I was thinking meet at the station around 9:30 or so and try to be a BP around 1-1:30.

I would love to join but this Saturday is not possible. Sunday or another weekend and I will be there.

Another time wix.

As for you others, 9:30am tomorrow. Meet outside the Yongning MRt station. If it rains as hard as this morning I won’t go. But if it’s a light drizzle or cloudy I will. Forecast for tomorrow is scattered showers. If it’s like yesterday, we should be fine.

If it’s really shitty when we get there well, we can always just go to Sanxia to look at the temple and old street and then have lunch.

I’ll be bringing my umbrella in any case!

By the way, Ironman, can you bring your avatar along?? :wink:

Sorry, I’m just bringing knickers along instead.

See you guys there at 9:30. Still not too sure where the station is on Saturdays so I’ll check with MM in the morning to see if I’m on the right track in hunting it down. Looking forward to it.

Rain gear will be packed for sure.

Sorry, I’m just bringing knickers along instead.

See you guys there at 9:30. Still not too sure where the station is on Saturdays so I’ll check with MM in the morning to see if I’m on the right track in hunting it down. Looking forward to it.

Rain gear will be packed for sure.[/quote]

Glad to hear you are coming. Too bad Miss bouncy isn’t. Anyway, here is a map.

home.trtc.com.tw/INFO92/ebig.asp?SID=077

Judging from Google Earth, Yongning Station is about 7.2km from Belgian Kitchen as the crow flies. Just FYI.

That would be an unladen crow.

Unladen African or European crow?

Hey, by the way, a note about the new MRT extension. I’ve been watching the progess of the new extension by noticing changes between Taipei Main Station and Banchiao Station. Signs have started changing, some maps are updated, etc. However, there is one potentially troubling thing, considering your desire to go to Yongning Station.

You know how the MRT trains display the terminal destination station on the LED signs on the outside of the train? Well, as late as Thursday (yesterday), all of the trains headed in the direction of Yongning displayed “Far Eastern Hospital”. The significance of that is that if F.E.H. is really the terminal station for the moment, due to some construction issue, etc., then the train isn’t regularly going to Yongning yet.

I don’t know the answer. Something that you might want to check out before tomorrow morning. The MRT has a 24-hour toll-free number, but I don’t know what it is.

Back to laying down and wishing people here understood the purpose of pain medication…

Seeker4

P.S. - A map of the Yongning station area. Enjoy.
home.trtc.com.tw/INFO92/ebig.asp?SID=077

==========================================================
EDIT - Friday, 9:50pm - My wife got stuck on the blue line extension yesterday (forgot to get off) and so went to the end of it out of curiosity. She says it goes all the way to Yongning regardless on the LED signs on the trains. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the update. Have you had the operation yet or are you just looking for relief from the pain you have now? Hope you feel better either way soon.

It looks good out the window and the map shows rain maybe coming later in the day if I’m reading it right.

See you there.

cwb.gov.tw/V5e/index.htm

I’ve made some progress.

So, how was the hike today?

I’ve made some progress.

So, how was the hike today?[/quote]
The hike was very nice - short, because we went for a late lunch at Belgian Kitchen. But it’s beautiful and there’s a network of trails, making for the possibility of longer hikes, even ones that lead back to Taipei. The weather turned out to be great. Hope your recovery is progressing well.

Some pics:

At first we were worried this would be a real MRT hike, but the weather cooperated:

Some lovely views along the paths.

Notice we spontaneously formed a perfect triangle?

Thanks for the recommendation wix. This is a wonderful hiking area. Clear open paths run through lush forests that open up to impressive vistas. Reminds me of walking on the Fairy Footprint trail but on a more massive scale. This is the sort of place you can go and wander for hours and hours on your own without worries. The city always lays to the west of you. It would be impossible to get lost. Thank you again. I was very impressed and will go back often.

We got as far as Tianshang Shan today. I found a mention of this hill in one of the hikes in Taipei Day Trips II. So it seems we can walk all the way back to Chingan MRT station in Chungho. I love it. Take an MRT out to the mountains and then walk back to the city along the foothills. [/img]

Lovely hike and even more lovely Belgian meal.

Sore bones today so it was good to start with a short one then work up.

[quote=“Ironman”]Lovely hike and even more lovely Belgian meal.

Sore bones today so it was good to start with a short one then work up.[/quote]

That’s when age starts creeping up or in … :smiley:

My gosh, those pixs look so awesome!!