You and your (150x150 pixels or less) avatar (Part 1)

Does anyone have any taste around here? Vote for the most annoying one…
jeepers–>
rascal–>

Thanks, monkey.
I hate that stupid GW jeepers avatar. Damn annoying, that!
Who wants to look at that moronic bouncing “chimp” head? :unamused:

both are cool but they need to slow the animation a bit… from a handle called ‘rascal’ you want a avatar which is calm and peaceful…

That better? Else …

:wink:

avatars should say something about the person they represent.
rascals old tongue flicking is really annoying, but if the angel or the dog’s ass are more personally representative… well, if the shoe fits…
as for jeepers’ W - umm, i don’t know what jeepers is trying to tell us. W is a monument to ineptitude, nepotism and bad taste. if jeepers admires these or any of W’s other atrocious traits then we’re all the more worse off because there’s a war-mongering, lying, evangelistic texas dung heap in our midst stinking up the fresh clean air of taiwan!

I guess this one would fit me best but I am on a diet, so it won’t be valid for much longer:

BTW: The dog was “personal” but not meant to represent me. :smiling_imp:

Well, just kidding … German humour (or lack thereof) …

ok, for all of you who think that jeepers’ avatar should be rascals dog butt you can check out this site…
http://www.gwbush.com
it seems like jeepers really has a great sense of humor :wink:

also for the sake of comparison…
http://www.bushorchimp.com/
:shock: which is W?[/url]

Thanks to everyone who gave a thumbs-up to the knackered monkey. I changed it from the bouncing one because the server hosting that removed it for some reason and I don’t have a server to host my own files.

The most important point I think is that the monkey animations, as well as mjnemesis’ dog and bassman are all Animfactory creations http://www.animfactory.com.
These guys have got kick-ass 3d animations and I recommend everyone to have a look around their site. They give away for free a lot of quality art, and I gotta tip my hat to those people. After all, there’s very little free quality stuff available on the Internet these days.
:smiley:

i was having the same problem monkey, you seem to have solved it another way but anyone after some web searching today found a free webhost that welcomes outside linking :http://www.ranchoweb.com

My kitty definitely prefers Maomans doggie. She spent ages chasing it on the screen.

Iris

Why do people choose the avatars they do?
What do they mean?
Here’s a random start. Keep the format and add your own:

hexuan
(I always see “hex” and think of casting an evil spell, but…)
A picture of some dude that looks like the guy you knew in high school who was the hippy loverster with long hair (before it was cool) and played the acoustic guitar (which made some of the girls all gooey).
There is that wistful, innocent and introspective askance look too. This, framed in a circle (completing the journey) with some poofy tree silhouette … and the green makes you feel sort of natural … “There was a boy, a very young enchanted boy…”
(OK, so it’s the cover of a Van Morrison album…are we supposed to know that?)
Precis: “Like, hey man, I’m sensitive, you know?”

Soddom
(The left part of the biblical place or a misspelling of the leader of Iraq?)
These insect-like creatures (they each have only four legs…) are vigorously copulating in what we humans call “doggie-style,” although given the name of this poster, “using the back door” might be more appropriate. Their eyes appear to be bulging, probably due to some form of bug-rash.
The idea here is that Soddom, or soddomize, is a person that likes doing things the hard way, like making you take his argument right where it hurts. He may be unconventional is his approach or just a pervert.
Precis: “Take it and like it!”
Note: Soddom has changed his avatar to what looks like barf, but what I have been told is beans on toast. My, my…

Holger Nygaard
(Clearly a phony name)
This is an animated flag fluttering with the cyber breezes. It appears to be a national flag, and although it is an obscure one, extensive research reveals it to be similar to Denmark’s, except that Denmark’s flag has a white cross, not a yellow one. This confirms that Holger Nygaard is a pseudonym. He is actually probably a Swede. That would explain the yellow.
Flag-waving represents loyalty and fidelity and this shows that he most likely has a wife and two kids, a regular job and has an extensive knowledge of the mundane. He likes to poke fun at people but won’t take off the gloves.
Precis: “Honey, I’m home. Is dinner ready?”

jeepers
(…creepers look at those peepers…)
In August of 1962 the world got its first look at Spider-man. Jeepers avatar shows Spidey doing some sort of waltz-like steps. Forty years ago, it would have been possible to see someone waltz and not immediately burst into laughter.
But Spidey is a superhero and superheroes don’t dance, so this dancing Spider-man shows that jeepers is hiding something within his visible persona. Is it a soft and squishy side? Is it
pink with frills? Does it have anything to do with tights?
Jeepers is really your friend. Has he met soddom?
Precis: “Jeepers: interjective used to express surprise or annoyance.”

Juba
(Tuba? Jubilation?)
Here’s a happy, colorful little guy hammering away at a keyboard 24 hours, 7 days a week. He never stops. Even when he is offline he wants us to know that he is out there somewhere punching the keys. He must be in the writing business or this is a reflection of the idle hours he spends on Segue. He’s a busy beaver and when he speaks, you better listen. And don’t misspell any words, either.
Precis: “I’m not finished yet.”

monkey
(…has a prehensile tail.)
Originally, monkey had an active monkey swinging from a vine, but currently the little simian seems a bit knackered and is flat on his stomach in bed. monkey posts with the frenetic persnicityness of a wild baboon when the mood hits him, but lies low when he’s had enough.
Real monkeys are aggressive and can give you a nasty bite. monkey can too.
Precis: “Don’t feed the animals!”

Maoman
(Wasn’t Mao responsible for millions of deaths? Or is this the Chinese for “cat”?)
This is a animation of the Yorkshire terrier nominated to run for Hong Kong chief executive.
Named “Tung loves Hong Kong,” the dog, amazingly, lost to Tung Chee Hwa. Maoman must be a cutie and although he is a moderator, most people don’t hold that against him.
His little dog runs back and forth and keeping track of all those dumbass posters keeps him busy, at the expense of his desk job. But what is more important, English or Segue? His bark is worse than his bite.
Precis: “I know where you live…”

sandman
(Are you feeling sleepy? After 1,500 posts you’d think so.)
He’s a dancing fool, the only man I know that’s a skirt-lifter – his own! Well, kilt jokes aside, the well-dressed Scatman John seems to be showing off his style. Hell, Scatman was born in El Monte, California – a place I sometimes call home.
No one would be dancing while Rome burns…to mix the metaphor…so sandman stays clear of the serious business. Why re-invent the wheel with dry-rot posters when you can have more fun being clever?
Precis: “Just taking the piss out of someone, hold on…”

Gao Li Tsai
(Cabbage Patch Doll? or just on a respirator?)
So this is a sadhu – also known as beggars with an excuse – jerking his head from side to side…is the head a target? The holy man symbolizes someone who has reached a higher plane of existence and, one would assume, a higher level of posting. The Cabbage seems to be saying, “I am deep. But I will let you try and take a shot at me – a moving philosophical target.”
Precis: “I post, therefore I am not.”

hsiadogah
(This probably has some translated meaning but “under the dog” is probably not it.)
This is a guy with no legs to stand on walking on his hands. He is wearing a bowtie, so he is probably a man with means. His arguments have no foundation, but like the intrepid avatar, he forges ahead under his own steam nonetheless.
Some people could also construe this as lacking in good taste – making light of the less fortunate than you or me, but then who cares?
Precis: “Look Ma! No…er, nevermind.”

salmon
(Is there something fishy about this?)
Salmon eggs are used as bait to catch trout and, creepily, other salmon. Although there are no eggs showing in the avatar, a person can never be too careful.
Using a fish could have a couple of meanings: the poster is a Christian. (Don’t ask); the poster is slippery – hard to pin down on any particular issue; the poster is slimy; or the poster smells funny. Take your pick.
At least we know which direction he swims to spawn.
Precis: “I never went to school, but I’m still in the swim of things.”

Poagao
(I don’t know how to pronounce this.)
I stared at this avatar for a while before I made out that there is a guy in the corner with a camera. He’s wearing a hat which means he wants to be unidentified, like a bank robber.
This must have been taken in a mirror, but there is a strange object in the center of the frame – like a paper airplane. Or a shuttlecock.
This whole thing signifies a voyeurism – a need to peek but not be seen. This means that for every post Poagao puts up, there are thousands of posts that he does not respond to.
He’s reading this right now.
Precis: “Who watches the watchers?”

Rascal
(Rgds,)
Another keyboard puncher. He seems only to work at night and even while he is asleep, he looks knackered. After he dozes, he is awakened by an ampersand, which, frankly, baffles me. What does it mean?
Why are there no happy keyboard hammerers? Rascal must be telling us that he too is a nocturnal poster with too much time in front of a terminal. Probably doesn’t get out much and hasn’t had a tan since he was 12.
Precis: “Yes, I heard you the first time.”

Alien
(The extra terrestrial type or the illegal alien one (“Consideration for your fellow man
wouldn’t hurt anybody, sure fits in with my plan.” – Genesis, Illegal Alien))
OK, so this is a lava lamp. I know that because I dropped one in 1980 but that’s another story…
I don’t think that this has anything to do with the hippy cool drugs 60s Age of Aquarius thing. I think it has more to do with bubbling. Simmering if you will. Alien is always on the boil, stewing about something – in a good-natured way, of course.
Then again, it could just be a representation of a phallic symbol with its constant spurtings…
Precis: “Lead? Follow? Get out of my way!”

‘hsiadogah’ is of course Taiwanese for ‘dead foreigner’, ‘damn foreigner!!’.

I’m usually well-dressed, but legless… hic

Pssst. Have any spare karma old chap? Wife, drinking habit and avatar upgrade to support y’know…

:laughing:

What’s with the spider then Wolf?

Likes to creep around in dark places, spinning his web and waiting for a meal to come along. Makes little effort after the spinning is over, jumps in for a lethal bite and leisurely feed after the poor victim has worn himself out struggling.
Precis: Avoid the chasing part of bloodsports, but always be in on the carcass.

When I see Wolf’s spider I think of a guy who has so much free time on his hands that he can write long posts pondering about other posters’ avatars.

For Chrissakes Wolf, buy a Play Station, take up knitting or something! :laughing: .

[quote=“wolf_reinhold”]Why do people choose the avatars they do?
What do they mean?
Here’s a random start. Keep the format and add your own:

hexuan
(I always see “hex” and think of casting an evil spell, but…)
A picture of some dude that looks like the guy you knew in high school who was the hippy loverster with long hair (before it was cool) and played the acoustic guitar (which made some of the girls all gooey).
There is that wistful, innocent and introspective askance look too. This, framed in a circle (completing the journey) with some poofy tree silhouette … and the green makes you feel sort of natural … “There was a boy, a very young enchanted boy…”
(OK, so it’s the cover of a Van Morrison album…are we supposed to know that?)
Precis: “Like, hey man, I’m sensitive, you know?”
[/quote]

Spot on. I’m a frustrated hippy, this is my revenge upon my wardrobe of blue, grey, and pinstripe suits and severe Northamptonshire shoes.

In case you’re wondering, my avatar is one of the thumbnails from my photography page. The picture it represents is here: http://www.poagao.org/mirror6.jpg

I took it at the Perth Zoo in Australia last year. There, the mystery is spoiled now. Happy?

What exactlyare the turdy things falling between the legs of JeffG’s geriatric cowboy? :laughing: :sunglasses:

I believe the scientific term is “dingleberries.”

You just like to pick on me don’t you Mao, you know you’re gonna make me cry! Actually I never noticed that until now, and it’s pretty funny! My guess is bad graphics or [color=brown]dirt [/color]from the guys shoes. Or dingleberries… :laughing:

I picked my current Santa Claus image just to be seasonal, but I’ve got kind of attached to him.

I mean, he looks like a right thug. “'Ere’s your ruddy present, now piss off and leave me alone, you snot-nosed little brat.”

I can’t help wondering why Maoman’s (cat man) avatar is a dog ? Is this this new earth thing called irony ?