You can't take it with you

This story was in today

Maybe his kids were assholes.

[quote=“smell the glove”]Do Taiwanese like money? I mean, a lot?

Just curious.[/quote]

Huh? He was probably just an old loon… the world is full of them. Aint a Taiwan specific phenom. My aunt has numerous tales of old folk dieing in hospital and their suitcase is full of cash or jewels…

What does “cited” mean? Sounds like something bad…but in the story she handed the money in…which is good.

Maybe he was afraid to put it in the bank.

Can you blame him?

[quote]The Ministry of Finance yesterday lashed out at former Chung Shing Commercial Bank (中興銀行) chairman Wang Yu-yun (王玉雲), labeling him the cause of the bank’s failure.

“Wang and his 145-person staff, who have been indicted, should be held fully responsible for the bank’s bad loans of over NT$80 billion,” Gary Tseng (曾國烈), the director-general of the Bureau of Monetary Affairs, said at a press conference.

Tseng said that Wang ganged up with several conglomerates and with his crony Huang Tsung-hung (黃宗宏), former chairman of the Taiwan Pineapple Group (台鳳集團), that defaulted by as much as NT$15 billion on the bank’s loans. . .

Wang is expected to be found guilty of inappropriately funneling over NT$50 billion in loans to 42 conglomerates and granting a one-off loan of NT$350 million to Taiwan Pineapple, without respecting either due process or the bank’s credit policies. . .

Wang has already transferred most of his assets and properties to China and other countries. . .

“The bank is incurring a loss of NT$150 million a month, which taxpayers have to settle,” he said. [/quote]
taipeitimes.com/News/biz/arc … 2003064519

I still remember the photo in the Taipei Times of that scumbag, Wang, dramatically weeping for the reporters after he was found guilty of robbing so many pitiful old people like the dead guy you described.

It’s great that the nurse is being commended. My grandmother was robbed of all kinds of valuable possessions by her final caretakers.

Here’s another one:

[quote]Investigators of Taiwan’s biggest bank scandal said they had found new evidence on bribery by the Cathay Industrial Group to senior officials of several Government banks.

Court officials quoted the investigators as saying that a senior Cathay executive admitted to bribing heads of the banks on orders of Tsai Chen-chou, chairman of the Cathay Plastics Corporation, a Cathay subsidiary. Mr. Tsai was sentenced to 15 years in jail last month on charges of fraud for issuing bad checks. . . .

The scandal broke after runs on two Cathay banks, the Tenth Credit Cooperative and Cathay Investment and Trust Company, from which depositors withdrew more than $650 million in three weeks. [/quote]
query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.h … A963948260

I think they like a) stealing off the internet and b) harming animals, more.

My wife put an interesting spin on the story when I mentioned it to her tonight. She said, “Integrity? What? You don’t really think a nurse would take money out of a dead man’s hands, do you? His ghost would haunt her forever! Now if it was the patient in the next bed, that might be different…”

:s

Any bets on what happens to the money?

It wasn’t ‘left’ by the old guy in the sense that it was bequeathed. It doesn’t belong to the hospital.

Also, question: What would you do if you were the nurse?

[quote=“smell the glove”]My wife put an interesting spin on the story when I mentioned it to her tonight. She said, “Integrity? What? You don’t really think a nurse would take money out of a dead man’s hands, do you? His ghost would haunt her forever! Now if it was the patient in the next bed, that might be different…”

:s[/quote]

Aaahhhhh…now THAT makes more sense to me now. Especially in a country where money is everything…it’s only not worth it if there is the possibility of being haunted forever I guess… :unamused:

[quote=“Loretta”]Any bets on what happens to the money?

It wasn’t ‘left’ by the old guy in the sense that it was bequeathed. It doesn’t belong to the hospital.

Also, question: What would you do if you were the nurse?[/quote]

I would have done…what she did…take roughly half the money…then turn the rest in…and be a hero for the local media :smiling_imp: . Who says that the 3 million was all he had initially?

I would have taken ALL the g/d money. You can always pay someone to chase feng-shuie the ghosts away for you. :silenced: :shh: :whistle: