You could be Johnnie Walker's Brand Ambassador in Taiwan

I just put this job information up in the Job Listings category, but I want to post it here too, since if you guys are like me and already have a job, then you never read the job listings forum. However, this is a part-time temporary to perhaps permanent position and so unique and interesting that I am sure it would interest even the busy and currently employed people.

+++++++++++++++++++++
You could be Johnnie Walker’s Brand Ambassador in Taiwan
If you are
Male Native English Speaker
Passion for Scotch
Fluent in Mandarin
Good presentation skill
Resident in Taipei

We offer
Chance to go to Scotland for Scotch knowledge training
Attractive package for part time job around 7:30PM to 9:00PM

Please e-mail your name and contact phone number to Debbie.Chang@diageo.com

Note from Hobart: This following information is from me and not from Johnnie Walker or any of its employees:
This is a cool temporary job. They would educate you about Whiskey, and then you are supposed to give presentations to groups of people about Whiskey in Mandarin. The pay is good. Ask Debbie about it. By the way, they are looking for someone tall (180 cm or above) and good looking.

Imagine the embarrassment though, if anyone you know saw you doing it – I mean, trying to persuade people that Johnny Walker is something other than cheap shitty firewater bottled and marketed for suckers who don’t know any better?

I guess age discrimination is legal in Taiwan. They must be targeting the young urban alcoholics. Or else they know that us older guys and gals probably know better.

actually Johnnie Walker Gold Label and Blue Label are more than decent scotches…

but the taiwnese governent threatened to ban the brand from the local market early this year due to some lost face over the Johnnie Walker company not recognising Taiwan’s “country” status during the rice wine/ alcohol taxation wars, and also bad blood over taxation of imported liqour… and then promtly gave the legislative yuan all Johnnie Walker gift packs over Chinese New Years… :unamused: sheesh…

[quote]actually Johnnie Walker Gold Label and Blue Label are more than decent scotches…
[/quote]

For the price, they’re crap. Total crap. There are dozens and dozens of really outstanding single malts readily available here that cost far less and stand head and shoulders above anything bearing the JW label.

Now I know why the job listings category is set up not to recieve replys. Please give it a rest guys, I told my friend at Johnnie Walker that Segue was a great site read by so many people and they were sure to get some good results, however, I never expected this kind of discussion.

Chill, Hobart, your friends in marketing, right? So in fact, the success of Johnny Walker is really a compliment to his company – after all, not everyone can take a sow’s ear and sell it as a silk purse.
Although, talking about pig’s ears, that was a right one Diaego (sp?) made with their Smirnoff ad earlier this year. :laughing:

There are some decent blends around. Johnny Walker’s a sight better than Bell’s or Teacher’s.

Who cares what it tastes like…as long as it has some kick. Heck, I’d drink the boogers from a dead man’s nose if the proof was high enough

Hell, Hobart, I’m sorry. It seems there is indeed a market for Johnny Walker here. :blush:

Hobart is a sensitive guy. You rough boys should apologize.
Hey, isn’t scotch just whiskey with a fancy-pants name to get more recognition…sort of like the people…
:wink: (Shit, now I’m gonna have to apologize…)

[quote=“wolf_reinhold”]Hobart is a sensitive guy. You rough boys should apologize.
Hey, isn’t scotch just whiskey with a fancy-pants name to get more recognition…sort of like the people…
:wink: (Shit, now I’m gonna have to apologize…)[/quote]

Ohhh! The pain! The hurt! Scotsmen have feelings too, you know. If you cut us, do we not bleed?

You could always Scotch-tape the wound.

groan

I scotch the notion that Scots have feelings, unless you mean when they are Scotch with their money.

He’s scotyou.

scratch that!

If it’s from Scotland, it’s scotch, otherwise it’s just whiskey

Just like Champagne and Cognac. If it’s not from Champagne, it’s just sparkling white wine; if it’s not from Cognac, it’s just brandy.

I went to one of these JW marketing events in Boston about 8 years ago. They explained how scotch is made, gave away free food and it was all-you-can-drink Black and Red label. I’ve been drinking Black Label ever since.

It may be true that you can get better blended malts, but only in bars with an extended scotch list.

But I can walk into any bar almost any where in the world and they will have Black Label.

If it’s from Scotland, it’s Whisky. If it’s from Ireland, it’s Whiskey

[quote]If it’s from Scotland, it’s scotch, otherwise it’s just whiskey
[/quote]

Unless its from Japan, which is also allowed to call it whisky.

That’s just skilful marketing. It has bugger all to do with quality.

Yes, it’s damn clever of them. I guess that’s why they make the money now, don’t they?

Also, the JW boycot in Taiwan was over an ad by their parent company which implied that products made in Taiwan were of poor quality.

I want the job!

I think I meet the wee lass’s strict selection criteria. Admittedly, my wee Berlitz Chinese book hasn’t got me up to the “fluent” stage yet. But I am a fast learner.

As always with these types of things (applying for jobs), I did some market research to get an idea of how well DIAGEO Taiwan are currently building the Johnny Walker brands in Taiwan. I came across Next magazine (my favourite Taiwan mag), page 20 with the brilliant caption "English style . . . " I can’t remember the rest of the ad after those two words – not because I dislike the English, but the lunacy of the ad.

I’m busy updating my CV as we speak.

Dunc

[img]http://www.glenlachart.co.uk/glmk2/cookbook/IMAGES/puffrecipes.jpg[/img]