You decide: shall I stay or go?

Shall Bob H. buy a house in Taiwan or go back home

• Buy the house, listen to wife
  • Bob out, go home
  • Do something totally different, teach Astrophysics at the Sorbonne Paris or become a lemon-folder on Caracas

0 voters

Now after 2 years in my NeiHu slum di bum I am really fedup.

So I wanted to bob out, as my dioxin and heavy-metal levels were raising as much as my spitstain and speakter trucks allergy. Really have a lot of them on my stair. Spitstains, not speaker trucks.
Well, If they would fit it they would be there as well,no doubt.

But now my wife had this idea of buying a house somewhere out of Taipei. So we looked at some houses near the Central National Unversity here and found a lovely 4-floor house within ponds and gooses and the usual garpage piles. But really nice.

My wife prefers the 5-floor at the stinky main road, what a surprise. We would have to draw numbers in the stairway not to get mixed up though.

I guess living in green would be nice, but … it would still be … T …T T Tai … Taiwan.

So cast your vote here, I will gladly follow. Even serial killers on parole are aloud to take part (that is a user name here :smiley: ).

yours,
Bob Dunno

Where is home for you?

Daya Road in Chiayi was lined with trees on either side. Last July a typhoon knocked some branches down onto the road, but otherwise there was no damage. The branches were picked up immediately, and a few days later the work crews arrived and CUT DOWN EVERY TREE.

Living in green is nice, but, as you noted, this is Taiwan. How long do you think that green will remain?

Yes Bob H, always listen to your wife. Keeps the wifey bit happy and the rest of your life comes easy.

Of course I hope thats not the view from the new place :noway: :noway: :noway:

But if that’s your current view surely I would be wanting to escape too.

Better to be on parole than to be kept up in a cell. My old one is for rent…

Daya Road in Chiayi (Jiayi) was lined with trees on either side. Last July a typhoon knocked some branches down onto the road, but otherwise there was no damage. The branches were picked up immediately, and a few days later the work crews arrived and CUT DOWN EVERY TREE.

Living in green is nice, but, as you noted, this is Taiwan. How long do you think that green will remain?[/quote]

Yes my nightmare. I saw some houses where the neighbour had opened a little private garbage yard with burning plastic waste. And the green will be soon destroyed by scooter driver storage units (apartment blocks) :blush:

I think the question boils down to, “can you ever get used to living in Taiwan?” If you can see yourself eventually feeling comfortable/ happy in TW, then it’s worth the risk to give it a try. Otherwise, it’s a no brainer, don’t do it. hehe.

I’m in a similar situation, but reversed. As a person who was born in Taiwan but lived most of his life overseas, I now have to make the decision whether to go back to TW later this year to live. I have no idea whether I can get used to it.

hmmm, I would really thinking about going back home if I were you.

That said, you could look for someplace nice to live, they do exist.

[quote=“georgie”]I think the question boils down to, “can you ever get used to living in Taiwan?” If you can see yourself eventually feeling comfortable/ happy in TW, then it’s worth the risk to give it a try. Otherwise, it’s a no brainer, don’t do it. hehe.

I’m in a similar situation, but reversed. As a person who was born in Taiwan but lived most of his life overseas, I now have to make the decision whether to go back to TW later this year to live. I have no idea whether I can get used to it.[/quote]

I know I will definetly not getting used to living in Taiwan. Being the laowei laowei is sometimes enough for me :s
The question is, if I still keep up my private Bobworld with wife, stereo, computer, DVD-player and watching endless Star Trek to kinda ignore the Taiwan around me.
It is not bad, it is just like planet Mars to me where I have forgotten to bring the oxygen mask :smiley:

On Wednesday, we were at a fishing village/port having some fresh sushi sitting there in the sun right on the dock.
Over on the next stump thing was a Taiwanese gentleman, having bought the same thing, doing the same.
When he finished, he looked right at me, and tossed his plastic tray and can into the water below…got up and walked right past the trash bin to his car and drove off. I stared at him and he honestly had no idea what he’d done wrong.
That sums up how I feel many people here feel about the environment, and it will take generations to change…sigh. Until then, there are parts of Taiwan that have soooo much potential, but are simply shitholes for the time being.

I’d say exercise your manly, husband super powers on this one. Lay down the law! :taz:

Oh … wait …a… moment …

You should really leave…you sound like you are absolutely miserable here…

[quote=“Truant”]On Wednesday, we were at a fishing village/port having some fresh sushi sitting there in the sun right on the dock.
Over on the next stump thing was a Taiwanese gentleman, having bought the same thing, doing the same.
When he finished, he looked right at me, and tossed his plastic tray and can into the water below…got up and walked right past the trash bin to his car and drove off. I stared at him and he honestly had no idea what he’d done wrong.
That sums up how I feel many people here feel about the environment, and it will take generations to change…sigh. Until then, there are parts of Taiwan that have soooo much potential, but are simply shitholes for the time being.[/quote]

Yeah I know, the enviornment and certain other issues are just treated very differently in Asia versus Western countries. I have my own theory as to why that is, and culture is just one part of it. But that’s for another discussion another time.

been there, done that… we made the decision, too. it is the worst time to buy a house/appart now. and imagine what you could have in your home country for the price of the crappy house you’ll get here :s

If you’re going to live in the house and paying the mortgage would save you the rent, and you’d be here anyway, why not buy a place? Then all you have to do is pray Ma Yingjiu wins the 2008 election and you’ll make a packet. I’m assuming this house is in Taipei City?

[quote=“bob_honest”][quote=“georgie”]I think the question boils down to, “can you ever get used to living in Taiwan?” If you can see yourself eventually feeling comfortable/ happy in TW, then it’s worth the risk to give it a try. Otherwise, it’s a no brainer, don’t do it. hehe.

I’m in a similar situation, but reversed. As a person who was born in Taiwan but lived most of his life overseas, I now have to make the decision whether to go back to TW later this year to live. I have no idea whether I can get used to it.[/quote]

I know I will definetly not getting used to living in Taiwan. Being the laowei laowei is sometimes enough for me :s
The question is, if I still keep up my private Bobworld with wife, stereo, computer, DVD-player and watching endless Star Trek to kinda ignore the Taiwan around me.
It is not bad, it is just like planet Mars to me where I have forgotten to bring the oxygen mask :smiley:[/quote]

It definitely sounds like you should just leave TW. If you do stay because of your wife’s wishes, you’ll only end up resenting her in the long run. For me, I’m moving back partially because I have no choice (looking to get a career going). Also, I feel I may actually be happier in TW, just because as a Taiwanese, I may be more readily accepted by the people. Living conditions might just be secondary if I could feel accepted and at home in return, by returning to my birth place. That’s what I’m trying to find out if/when I go back to TW later this year.

[quote=“georgie”][quote=“Truant”]On Wednesday, we were at a fishing village/port having some fresh sushi sitting there in the sun right on the dock.
That sums up how I feel many people here feel about the environment, and it will take generations to change…sigh. Until then, there are parts of Taiwan that have soooo much potential, but are simply shitholes for the time being.[/quote]

Yeah I know, the enviornment and certain other issues are just treated very differently in Asia versus Western countries. I have my own theory as to why that is, and culture is just one part of it. But that’s for another discussion another time.[/quote]

One word. Confucius.
This care-for-family-and-friends stuff which gets interpreted as “only” for family and friends.

No, not Taipei city. Damned I keep forgetting the spelling of that city.

Taoyuan or something. Well, I should at least know the name of the town where I buy a house.
:blush:

EDIT: booooah, finally got it reight, Taoyuan, which means “peach garden”. Well… well, did not exactly look like that.

The houses we saw looked nice and were large, but … how they are build is another question. Any guarantee here they do not fall apart two weeks after buying? I just consider that most of the technical stuff bought here soon breaks down and only after swapping it at customer service it will finally work… :stuck_out_tongue:

well, not necessarly. banks = thieves in this country…

oh, no! :frowning:

[quote=“bob_honest”][quote=“georgie”][quote=“Truant”]On Wednesday, we were at a fishing village/port having some fresh sushi sitting there in the sun right on the dock.

Yeah I know, the enviornment and certain other issues are just treated very differently in Asia versus Western countries. I have my own theory as to why that is, and culture is just one part of it. But that’s for another discussion another time.[/quote]

One word. Confucius.
This care-for-family-and-friends stuff which gets interpreted as “only” for family and friends.[/quote]

Well, Confucious would be a “culture issue” I guess. But nope, that’s not what I had in mind. I’ve told my friends about it, and lets just say I don’t think the world is ready to accept my theory yet lol, even though I’m willing to bet everything I have on it being right. :slight_smile: I’ll just leave it at that.

Taoyuan eh? Best check and see if insurance will cover you for PRC missile damage and incidents involving China scAirlines.

HG