You haven't been here long enough to post in this thread

From [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/forumosa-recommends/60892/1 different thread[/url].

[quote=“Maoman”][color=#BF0000]*Don’t post if you haven’t been on the boards since at least 2008[/color], and been in Taiwan for at least 5 years. Feel free to start a “newbies recommends” thread if you want.
*Post once. If you want to make more additions, edit your post.
*Recommend any places or businesses in Taiwan that you like; if it’s a restaurant please mention the specific dishes that you recommend.
*Please link to the places that you’re discussing, or the relevant thread on Forumosa, if any.
*If you want to discuss or ask questions about any of the recommendations, we can start a new thread for that purpose.
*No negative reviews, please. This is just for recommendations.
*Multiple posts, off-topic replies, and[color=#FF0000] replies from people who have registered after 2008 will be split off and removed to the temp forum.[/color][/quote]

I, like many others, have been living in Taiwan for over a decade but I’m not allowed to offer recommendations based on my joining date on forumosa.

In my honest opinion, these posting rules are too exclusive. :raspberry: Such segregation isn’t needed nor helpful. :no-no:

[quote=“RobinTaiwan”]From [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/forumosa-recommends/60892/1 different thread[/url].

[quote=“Maoman”][color=#BF0000]*Don’t post if you haven’t been on the boards since at least 2008[/color], and been in Taiwan for at least 5 years. Feel free to start a “newbies recommends” thread if you want.
*Post once. If you want to make more additions, edit your post.
*Recommend any places or businesses in Taiwan that you like; if it’s a restaurant please mention the specific dishes that you recommend.
*Please link to the places that you’re discussing, or the relevant thread on Forumosa, if any.
*If you want to discuss or ask questions about any of the recommendations, we can start a new thread for that purpose.
*No negative reviews, please. This is just for recommendations.
*Multiple posts, off-topic replies, and[color=#FF0000] replies from people who have registered after 2008 will be split off and removed to the temp forum.[/color][/quote]

I, like many others, have been living in Taiwan for over a decade but I’m not allowed to offer recommendations based on my joining date on forumosa.

In my honest opinion, these posting rules are too exclusive. :raspberry: Such segregation isn’t needed nor helpful. :no-no:[/quote]
Thanks for the feedback, Rob. How about I change it to: “*Don’t post if you haven’t been in Taiwan for at least 5 years.”
I really don’t want to exclude old-timers who are newer to the boards. I should have thought the parameters through a little better. I’ll make the change now.

==So what you are saying is that you don’t know what is ‘good’ or ‘recommendable’ until you have lived in Taiwan for at least 5 years. Interesting…sounds like a major case of Chinese logic.

Hear, hear! I am super experienced b/c I’ve been on the forum for like…forever. So I know all about how crappy buxiban life and customer service is in Taiwan and my favorite restaurants are the ones with the banner ads!

OK, 5 year residency rule works for me. But as the n00b, I will post my “new arrivals recommendations”:

I totally love [favurl=http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=113890523687262418300.0004922465d69347d4f97&ll=25.034137,121.523691&spn=0.005317,0.010568&z=17&iwloc=0004922465d85520ea53f]the breakfast dumpling place[/favurl] that is behind CKS Memorial Hall. Its on HangZhou Rd between Ai Guo and Xin Yi. They sell the dumplings in front of their shop and there is always a line. The cabbage dumpling is best with a little hot sauce. The place empties out around 10 or 11 so you have to hustle!

(PS the lady that sells the sweet pork buns up the road from the breakfast place is smoking hot! What is she doing selling that crap in the morning when she could be anywhere in the world walking runways or telling her sugar daddy what to do?)

==So what you are saying is that you don’t know what is ‘good’ or ‘recommendable’ until you have lived in Taiwan for at least 5 years. Interesting…sounds like a major case of Chinese logic.[/quote]
What n00bs think is of merely passing interest to me. It’s amusing sometimes to hear what they think of this or that. I would never go eat at a restaurant or make a travel plan based on the opinions of a relatively new arrival. Yes, you may like the food and it may be that I’d like it too, but I’m more likely to follow advice from one who’s eaten at 1,000 noodle places rather than 5 or 6. I might miss some good advice by filtering out n00bs I don’t even know, but that’s a risk I’m willing to take. As a newcomer anywhere I don’t expect anyone to place any importance on my subjective opinions of my new environment.

That logic works both ways. Relative newcomers might have a fresh take on certain establishments, and cagey veterans might have had certain habitual venues become ingrained. Familiarity does not necessarily lend itself to objective measurements of quality.
To suggest otherwise only reinforces the perception that this site is dominated by a cliquish cabal.

[quote=“TheGingerMan”]That logic works both ways. Relative newcomers might have a fresh take on certain establishments, and cagey veterans might have had certain habitual venues become ingrained. Familiarity does not necessarily lend itself to objective measurements of quality.
To suggest otherwise only reinforces the perception that this site is dominated by a cliquish cabal.[/quote]
True, but time isn’t limitless and so I tend to filter out advice from people with less experience on whatever topic and even those I plain don’t like. Doesn’t everyone do this? Unique ideas and fresh perspectives go unnoticed in a flood of mindless chatter everyday. This is the way of the world.

I’ll usually only take advice on which guitar strings to try from someone who’s got some serious calluses, but if I had been here three years and had searched high and low for every art supply shop, I’d probably bristle at the suggestion that my input on art shops was less valuable than 5-year vets who don’t paint.

If people want to be able to discriminate between advice based on the poster’s experience, there are several ways to achieve that:

1. Know who’s been around, because you know them or can see their start date.
  2. Segregate by thread, as Maoman did this time.
  3. Ask that people begin their post by identifying how long they’ve been in Taiwan.

I think #3 is a friendlier and more inclusive way to accomplish the goal.

[quote=“maoman”]
Thanks for the feedback, Rob. How about I change it to: “*Don’t post if you haven’t been in Taiwan for at least 5 years.”[/quote]

OK, I think I can stop pouting now. :wink: :thumbsup:

==So what you are saying is that you don’t know what is ‘good’ or ‘recommendable’ until you have lived in Taiwan for at least 5 years. Interesting…sounds like a major case of Chinese logic.[/quote]
What n00bs think is of merely passing interest to me. It’s amusing sometimes to hear what they think of this or that. I would never go eat at a restaurant or make a travel plan based on the opinions of a relatively new arrival. Yes, you may like the food and it may be that I’d like it too, but I’m more likely to follow advice from one who’s eaten at 1,000 noodle places rather than 5 or 6. I might miss some good advice by filtering out n00bs I don’t even know, but that’s a risk I’m willing to take. As a newcomer anywhere I don’t expect anyone to place any importance on my subjective opinions of my new environment.[/quote]
I do think what n00bs have to say about restaurants purporting to offer non-Chinese/Taiwanese/Asian cuisine might be of interest here.

For instance, none of the four Italian places I went to in Taipei last month offered anything resembling the cuisine of northern Italy, nor did they have the New York, Chicago, New Jersey, Washington, DC, Seattle, or Boston takes on Italian cuisine. (One of them did have good pizza that was exactly like France’s take on Italian food). If you eat at these places and think you’re getting “Italian” food – well, no. It was interesting to eat, some of it was tasty, and some of it was value-priced, but none of it was authentic. And I can see that after 5+ years of Asian-Italian food, it is possible to forget what real Italian food is like.

Similarly, 1885 burger was good but the food there has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with Albany, NY’s cuisine.

I can also state that what Burger Stop is offering is a proper American burger. However, Chris has bowed to Taipei culture in one way that would be very frustrating to most Americans… toppings are OPTIONAL in the U.S. – nobody thinks anything is odd at all about ordering a burger with no sauce, no tomato, extra lettuce, extra pickles, or whatever. Chris humored me when I asked for “plain and dry” – only meat, bread, and cheese – but clearly, that was a total oddball order and annoying to his staff. As long as Chris will tolerate the occasional pain-in-the-ass American with a “special order”, I’d call it good. How would you know if it’s a real American burger if you’ve been in Taiwan for 10 years?

I will agree, and can confirm, that the McDonald’s food here is proper McDonald’s food… in Taipei, Seattle, Portland, etc. It is truly the same everywhere. Whether that’s good or bad… :laughing:

P.S. I am really grateful to all the old-timers for all they post and for putting up with all the dumb n00b questions. I’m a “senior fellow” of several online communities and I do the same thing there, answering variants of the same 10 questions over and over again, in one case for 14 years now. But I have to remind myself periodically to not assume that new people know nothing… I might miss something good, and sometimes new people are a breath of fresh air after you’ve had the same stale arguments with the long-timers ten or more times. (Of course, that never happens here…)

What n00bs think is of merely passing interest to me. It’s amusing sometimes to hear what they think of this or that. I would never go eat at a restaurant or make a travel plan based on the opinions of a relatively new arrival. Yes, you may like the food and it may be that I’d like it too, but I’m more likely to follow advice from one who’s eaten at 1,000 noodle places rather than 5 or 6. I might miss some good advice by filtering out n00bs I don’t even know, but that’s a risk I’m willing to take. As a newcomer anywhere I don’t expect anyone to place any importance on my subjective opinions of my new environment.[/quote]
I do think what n00bs have to say about restaurants purporting to offer non-Chinese/Taiwanese/Asian cuisine might be of interest here.

For instance, none of the four Italian places I went to in Taipei last month offered anything resembling the cuisine of northern Italy, nor did they have the New York, Chicago, New Jersey, Washington, DC, Seattle, or Boston takes on Italian cuisine. (One of them did have good pizza that was exactly like France’s take on Italian food). If you eat at these places and think you’re getting “Italian” food – well, no. It was interesting to eat, some of it was tasty, and some of it was value-priced, but none of it was authentic. And I can see that after 5+ years of Asian-Italian food, it is possible to forget what real Italian food is like.

Similarly, 1885 burger was good but the food there has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with Albany, NY’s cuisine.

I can also state that what Burger Stop is offering is a proper American burger. However, Chris has bowed to Taipei culture in one way that would be very frustrating to most Americans… toppings are OPTIONAL in the U.S. – nobody thinks anything is odd at all about ordering a burger with no sauce, no tomato, extra lettuce, extra pickles, or whatever. Chris humored me when I asked for “plain and dry” – only meat, bread, and cheese – but clearly, that was a total oddball order and annoying to his staff. As long as Chris will tolerate the occasional pain-in-the-ass American with a “special order”, I’d call it good. How would you know if it’s a real American burger if you’ve been in Taiwan for 10 years?

I will agree, and can confirm, that the McDonald’s food here is proper McDonald’s food… in Taipei, Seattle, Portland, etc. It is truly the same everywhere. Whether that’s good or bad… :laughing:

P.S. I am really grateful to all the old-timers for all they post and for putting up with all the dumb n00b questions. I’m a “senior fellow” of several online communities and I do the same thing there, answering variants of the same 10 questions over and over again, in one case for 14 years now. But I have to remind myself periodically to not assume that new people know nothing… I might miss something good, and sometimes new people are a breath of fresh air after you’ve had the same stale arguments with the long-timers ten or more times. (Of course, that never happens here…)[/quote]

:bravo: :bravo:
I was just about to post something similar to this. I can understand requiring a poster to have some amount of time in Taiwan before recommending something that is Taiwanese or unique to Taiwan, but for recommendations about things that aren’t unique to Taiwan, I think all opinions are valid.

Fair point.

Ironically, the requirement that made sense-- length of time on the boards has been removed. The time in Taiwan requirement is completely arbitrary, unverifiable on an internet board at any rate and should be scrapped.

I don’t think “five years” in Taiwan before you could recommend a restaurant or place makes any sense. I could meet this requirement 2 times over, yet still receive excellent recommendations from people more newly arrived almost constantly. Sometimes someone newly arrived has a more fresh perspective than someone more set in their patterns. And what about people like business travellers, people who have a much more broad, global base of experience than someone who really only knows here-- and probably only knows certain aspects of the place to boot? For example, when I go into town, I sometimes meet short-term expats-- professionals, people here for trade shows etc. For local stuff-- talking to cab drivers, local staff etc-- I’m obviously more knowledgeable. But for things like fine restaurants, night spots and so forth, often the short-termer knows more. After so long here, my perspective has come to resemble a local’s in many ways.

I guess that brings me to another point: do you really want to limit contributions to the long-term spouse, English teacher, editor, [insert other long-termer occupation here] crowd? The engineers, business people, representatives often don’t stay near as long, but the perspectives they bring-- at least in my view-- are unique and valuable.

I don’t think there is any objective reasoning behind a five-year residence requirement just to recommend something in Taiwan. It’s just an example of an attitude that I call “expat one-upmanship” and this site shouldn’t perpetuate it.

Sorry Toasty, until you get a few more posts under your crust, you can’t expect me to take you seriously. :neutral: