You know you've been in Taiwan too long when

For some nice Saturday listening:

1 Like

Of course …… goes without sayin lol

1 Like

When this “German sausage salad burger” at a breakfast shop looks like it might be a decent morning meal. And you don’t give the name a second thought. (laughed at myself after a minute or two of this thinking)

3 Likes

You are a brave man.

2 Likes

It doesn’t look that different to a reuben.

1 Like

It looks like German sausages are shrinking though. :grin::joy:

1 Like

Was it really like the advertised picture?

1 Like

When you’re no longer surprised about store names in English:

‘Bear Bear Fruit Fruit’

2 Likes

I’ll try it next time. I saw the picture as I was leaving with the breakfast I already ordered.

That is the time to open a rival shop:

‘Bear Bear Bear Fruit Fruit Fruit’

It’s 50% better!

Guy

1 Like

What about a shop called Fruity Bears?

Maybe a TW style Reuben, but nothing like you would get in the West.

This is the reuben at Salt Lick in Hualien. Excellent and I prefer it to their ribs. A bit different from that German hot dog thing above! I might be mistaken, but I think they get their corned beef from a Canadian retiree who had a restaurant in Hualien that closed a few years back. He had some great food there and I seem to remember having this conversation with him not long after he closed his restaurant.

10 Likes

Well that looks amazing. I had a friend tell me about the Reubens at Salt Lick, but haven’t made it yet. I got hooked on them in the early 90’s. When living in Miami there was a small Jewish deli below my office that had the most amazing Reubens. After two decades in TW it is about the only food I can’t replicate in my own kitchen.

I need to make it to Hualien ASAP. Thank you for the reminder Marasan!!!

4 Likes

https://nathansfamous.com/recipes/new-york-deli-reuben-hot-dog/

I meant reuben dog.

1 Like

Reuben on Rye sandwich = kosher.

Everything else…fuggedaboutit.

2 Likes

Never even heard of that. They look good, though.

You know you’ve been in Taiwan too long when…

you no longer tell the truth about anything, even if it’s insignificant, but instead compulsively lie about everything.

Liar

9 Likes

Ah now I got it. I as well have never heard of a Reuben Dog, hence the confusion. Does look good though!

Redpoint has a good Reuben.

2 Likes