Young German trying to understand/help young Taiwanese (face, "strange" behaviour)

I think it was an Egyptian invention, not completely normal in Taiwan. Are you interested in starting a relationship with this guy? Maybe he is afraid of you for some strange reason or maybe he has good reasons for that.

I really have no Idea what he has, but I dont think that I can help him, I have never experienced such a strange behavior, and my colleauges say I am absolutely not evil, but however, I dont understand that :confused:

Could you tell me what could be ā€œGood reasonsā€ be from the viewpoint of a Taiwanese?

I think you can survive more strange behaviour than you realise.

ā€œGood reasonsā€ for what?

2 Likes

Sorry, I come from Germany, that was wrong formulated, I meant:
experienced :blush:

I really dont know what he could have as reason to stay this way away from me, and do not tell it to me, thats it that makes me so confusedā€¦

The idea of going to someoneā€™s hotel room is kind of strange IMO. Unless youā€™re already good friends, there could be misinterpreted intentionsā€¦

itā€™s better to invite him out for some fun activity with some others (like a team lunch).

2 Likes

He sounds like he might be afraid of you. :sunglasses:

1 Like

But why?

You are going into his hotel looking for him , knocking on his door ?

2 Likes

Hmm, probably taiwanese are ways more shy than germans, I dont know it,
I only know that I have tomorrow to work and cannot sleep now because I make myself toughts about him and this behaviorā€¦

Did you make an appointment for your first visit?
Are you female?
Is it normal in German to visit a guest coworker at his hotel room?

1 Like

Are you like in love with him or something? Why does it matter to you? So he doesnā€™t talk to you, big deal. Are you his mom?

3 Likes

It sounds like the boss assigned OP to take care of him.

Unless he is a minor this is laughably nonsensical. Why would any boss assign anyone to ā€œtake care ofā€ a grown man?

2 Likes

Itā€™s called hospitality. The Taiwanese guy seems to be a guest business traveler.

Sorry Me, thereā€™s quite a language barrier here, and if his English is also not up to snuff, then you both have a lot working against clarity.

He is probably home sick, or at the very least feeling heavily isolated, probably chilled to the bone. Before you get to face, youā€™re also dealing with a culture that actively discourages displays of emotion. His parents were born and raised in a dictatorship. Take the dullest, most inhibited east German you can find, and mate them with the 2nd dullest, teach their offspring Chinese, and thereā€™s your coworker.

(Thatā€™s not exactly fair to any of the Taiwanese Iā€™ve actually met {except for my wife[gods bless her!]})

If you just want him to know he has a friend, then youā€™ll need to apologize in plain English (no figures of speech), that you got off on the wrong foot.

To be clear, this is not because anything you specifically did wrong, rather than the complex configuration wherein your interactions have so far occurred. Nobodies fault,ā€¦, the olive branch by way of apology is the best way to reset any exchange. He may think that your concern is due to some deficit on his part, which he could react to negatively, when youā€™re actually just hoping he feels welcome / happy.

Your baseline case is to at least communicate:
ā€¢ that youā€™re glad to have him on the team,
ā€¢ You hope heā€™s enjoying some of his time in Germany
ā€¢if he had any trouble with tasks around town, like banking or post office or groceries you can help.
ā€¢ You just want to help him enjoy his time in Germany.

if he says all of 4 words : ā€œthank you Iā€™m OKā€. then drop it, next day pretend none of it happened and assume heā€™s fine. Say Morgen! Gluten Abend! and leave it at that. if he wants to have friends, youā€™re probably on the list

1 Like

Sorry again, to be direct, but are you interested in this person romantically? Are you female?

The ambiguity is not helping anyone

2 Likes

I want to reiterate that he is like that not because he is Taiwanese but because of his own nature. To understand whyhe acts like that takes to know him more, maybe he has his own reasons. But now that he is not open to you, even after you tried a few times, so there is not much more left for you to do anymore. At least for now. You have done enough.

1 Like

OP is 1.85m. Probably male because the average height of German males is about 1.78m. Females are about 1.65m on average.

1 Like

I agree, this sounds strange to me too. Did you call ahead and say ā€œhey Iā€™m in the neighborhood, do you want me to stop by?ā€

If you just showed up unannounced and knocked on his door it might seem strange. If you did it twice youā€™re probably scaring him.

I vote for you to leave the guy alone, unless he reaches out to you.

Iā€™m also starting to wonder if this is true:

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure if OPā€™s ovservation that the young taiwanese guy needs help is correct.