Young people in TW

Are there many young expats in Taiwan? I’m coming out to learn some Mandarin in 3 weeks and I’m only just 19. I do have the advantage of staying with my girlfriend’s nice and extremely rich family (mmm…Inheritance…muhahahah! - a joke) but it’s still a biggish step to take. At what age did everyone come here? Can you teach english at such a tender age? - I don’t intend to, but am curious. hmm…well…I’m rambling now so hope someone answers me…bye.

I came to Taiwan for the first time at 19, too (although without the rich girlfriend and family)…the only thing about coming over at a young-ish age is that it’s easy to get sucked in and then Taiwan becomes reality for you. Now I’ve lived in Taiwan more than anywhere else in my adult life and it’s kinda strange for me to go to the States, yet there are some problems with staying in Taiwan (family, etc.)

The only problem I can see with being 19 now in Taiwan is that to teach English legally you need a bachelor’s degree, and most people wouldn’t yet have one at 19. Of course you could tutor on the side (private students) while remaining blissfully legally enrolled in a Chinese language course. Back when I came over the first time the ARC system wasn’t in place yet and anybody could teach anything. (Ah, the good old days!) :cry:

I’m sure you’ll have a great time in any event. Welcome!

What up Evertonexpat. I too was wondering some of the things posted in your topic. Hopefully you will get a bounty of excellent replies, and I hope this is one of them.

I leave for Taipei on dee 8th and shall arive on the 9th. I’m currently 22 and this will be my first time traveling to Taiwan.

Instead of starting a new topic I’ll add some of the questions I was going to ask to yours (if you don’t mind). I was wondering what the gaming (video) scene was like there? Are arcades plentiful or few and far between? What are folks my age into over dare?

Jest kuryus

Miltownkid

Miltownkid, there are bountiful (more than your pocket would allow) of video arcades in Taipei and Hsinchu (I’ve only been to these two cities so far) and other video, gaming stuff. Most of them are 24 hours (so jet lag won’t cripple your performance, if so, you can always sleep there for a few winks and be recharged for more battle). You might want to bring your xbox, game boy or nintendo or whatever you have here and rent the games here.

I’ve not had any chance to meet any expat around your age, but if you are going to relocate in Taipei, you should have no problem meeting people your age, let them be Americans or Taiwanese.

Have fun…

i haven’t seen the video arcades in Taipei for years. Mind you, i haven’t been looking. A visit to an arcade with a couple of beers and a fag might be a laugh. Addresses/reviews if poss.

BTW Just rewatched the Big Leb and felt the urge to ‘roll’ (for the 2nd or 3rd time in my life!) Went to the only bowling alley that i know in S. Taipei on Roosevelt in Hsin Tien on Sunday (Sabbath OK?). It has been shut down. Does anyone know of a decent bowling alley in S. Taipei?

I’ve been to Dave & Buster once, but I am not sure this is NOT the kind of arcades you refer to, is this?!?!

I know there are a couple of “decent” (from outside) bowling alleys in Hsinchu but my shoes have not arrived yet, so I have not checked them out. However, I went to one bowling alley in Hsinchu a few years ago and was impressed with the facility (either that or I had no expectations)! But then again, I am a low-score bowler and had the worst experience in Long Island, NY (image that!).

Have you tried to call 106 for English operator? They might be able to direct you.

Good luck,

Well, I came here at 19 and have blossomed into an intelligent, well-rounded individual with a magnetic personality. I do miss the good ole days of the Wild West with no ARCs, etc., that the other poster mentioned. I know I will get flack for this, just make sure your girlfriend’s family isn’t supporting your relationship with her with an eye for easy green cards and foreign passports (or free English lessons). It is easy to be blinded by things like this when you are young and in love. Also, learn to be street smart and not get burned in business dealings here.

Do you read Chinese? Here is what I found in 411.com.tw/index.asp, total of four listed.

My first time in Taiwan happened when I was 22. I hadn’t completed my schooling either, and did okay teaching part-time after Chinese classes. If you’re professional and really apply yourself you can do both and still have time to play and enjoy all the nice things that Taiwan has!

However, having a degree and not having to do visa runs is a big plus too. Not that you have the chance to just get a degree so fast, but you might even consider doing some schooling here. I have friends that have done a year or two of their college days in Taiwan and got all the necessary credits transfered back home. Not a bad idea if you think you want to stay here a while, and quite an enriching experience for a young lad like yourself! :wink:

Oh, and by the way, I met quite a few people your age in Taipei last couple times I was there. Check out the places that most would frequent anywhere else if they could (hostels, pubs, malls, theaters, etc.).

Enjoy!

thanks for all the friendly advice. MY girlfriend and I have been together for 2 years and she’s english like me. It’s only her mum who is from Taiwan and I’ve known her for ages. Ever since I stuffed my girlfriend’s Nai Nai and her old pals at Mah Jong, they think i’m a prodigal genius and want me to help in the family business!

If you’re open minded and smart, most travel and experience in a foreign country will be rewarding no matter what age you are.

As someone posted earlier, if you don’t intend to work and attain an ARC, learning Chinese can be a great way to spend your time here. If you’re still a University student, you can probably study at a place like Shida and transfer credit and it will also allow you to extend your visitor visa or get a student visa. Also, being able to speak even a little Chinese opens up many opportunities for meeting interesting people and having interesting experiences here in Taiwan. So I suggest taking classes of some sort.

With gaming: I’m not sure, but I think the type of arcade that used to be everywhere in Taipei a few years ago has been outlawed or at least made very difficult to open and run. Instead, most of the gaming takes place in internet cafes (called “wang-ka”). I see a lot of Counter Strike and Age of Empires. There are also some popular Korean games that I’m really unfamiliar with. Some wang-ka can be really cheap, like $20nt/hr or have some all day deal for 100nt. You’ll also find that in different wang-ka, different games are popular. Its probably best to go to the first wang-ka you see and start talking to people about what they’re playing, where you can go to play a certain game, etc. If you’re interested in playing Counter Strike, I can hook you up w/ some really interesting Taiwanese guys in their 20s that will make you sorry you ever picked up a virtual gun.

In the end, have fun.

Well…I don’t think I can help as I’m only a student here in Taipei.And I’ve learned English for quite a long time.And I’ve met many foreign teachers…some of them are really young.About 20 something.Just graduated from university.
Sorry if my English is bad…I tried my best.I’m a 16 years old student.Hope you’ll enjoy your learning here.

10 by 10 rule: If you have lived in Taiwan for more than 10 years, all those 10 years younger than you are your slaves.
Cool, eh?

I was 19 too when I first arrived. God it was great ! “Ooh you’re so young and cute!” I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Ironlady is right though - Taiwan becomes your reality, your point of reference as an adult - I just can’t settle anywhere else, even though at times I hated Taiwan. And that’s probably because I did my transition from adolescent to adult there. And Yes, big probs getting work, but I got enough to do me. Even worked at ELSI for a while - ten years ago a degree wasn’t the big issue it is now.

Reminds me of a Paul Brady song:

I was just about nineteen
When I landed on their shore
With my eyes big as headlights
Like the thousands and thousands who came before
I was going to be something . . .
Smiled at the man scrutinising my face
As I stepped down off the gangway

Hey, Johnny, can’t wait till Saturday night!
Got a thirst that’s raging . . .
Know a place where we can put that right
Wash away the confusion
Hose down this fire inside
But look out!
'Cause I’ll tear you into pieces if you cross me.

Nothing But The Same Old Story (Paul Brady)

paulbrady.com/lyrics/hardstation.asp#08