Young professional with a 85-90K rent budget per month

I did, but most buildings/apartments there seemed quite old. I personally don’t know Chinese well enough to be a power user of 591, so have been looking at the expat websites/agencies more, and those have almost no listings in New Taipei.

Also, my SO will likely be working in Daan/Xinyi so we were looking for some place in the middle, such as Guting or CKS Memorial Station

Google Translate for 591 and then use your SO to contact landlords/agents.

My SO has been focusing on 591 and I’ve been doing the expat stuff. I’ll try translating 591 and searching myself, but I doubt that I’ll find anything that she hasn’t already seen yet

It is. The Yellow Line is the newly opened Circular Line that currently runs from Dapinglin through Zhonghe and Banqiao, terminating at New Taipei Industrial Park. Map visible here:

Guy

1 Like

Have you looked outside of your budget to see how much more it might cost you to find options that you find suitable? Could come down to a time vs. money consideration unfortunately.

Oh right I totally forgot the new yellow line. I thought he was referring to the orange line.

1 Like

I’m keeping the search up to 50000NTD which is my upper bound for sure. Oh one thing I forgot to mention was I’m 190cm and there are so many loft style 1BRs which are completely unsuitable for me…

One question I have is… What fraction of their gross income do you think most people here spend on rent?

0 because most ppl here don’t rent.

My guess is that it varies a lot. Many locals don’t pay anything because they live with family or inherited property/money. Many that rent rent small suites with no kitchens, etc., which is why there are so many restaurants and night markets.

3 Likes

I used to pay ~17% of my income on rent and was told by coworkers I was grossly overpaying. Seems to me like most people care less about proportion and more about absolute cost.

Where in God’s land are those apartments?! Next to Taipei 101 with Xiao S as neighbor?! What a rip-off!

And how does a place have one bedroom and 3 bathrooms?

2 Likes

It is, and as a matter of fact, Dapinglin is the terminal station of the NEW yellow line. Maybe you are thinking orange line (Zhonghe/Xinzhuang).

There are actually a couple high end buildings in the next stop from Dapinglin, Jieyunshisizhang, also close to Zhongyan community, which has aside from real houses, some very nice buildings at reasonable prices, across from IKEA and QSquare.

Just stay away from MeiHeShu.

Most Taiwanese actually do think a 45 commute is insane. No one who has a choice stays doing that for long.

Yeah I was thinking the orange line. I never use the yellow line so it totally slipped my mind.

Not really. Many ppl spend that amount of time on commute or more.

I have a close friend who is a second year PGY doctor working at a major medical centre in Taichung. PGY normally makes 1.2 million/year (give or take), yet her place was a horrible, tiny studio located directly inside a fucking nightmarket. I know that because I’ve been there. It cost her like 7000/month and she still thought it was too much.

At my previous law firm most 3rd - 4th year associates also lived at home. They were pretty stingy for a large law firm (even in Taiwan), but 3rd/4th year associates still at very least make 1.5-2 million (methinks), they ALL lived at home because nobody wanted to pay rent. The ones who did rent all lived in tiny studios or houseshared to keep their rent below 10,000. My old studio (which I hated so I broke the lease after a few months lol) was 18k and I always lied about the rent because I didn’t want to be judged lol.

Yeah people just don’t want to rent. It doesn’t matter how much they make, renting = helping landlord pay their mortgage and should be avoided at all costs.

3 Likes

It’s an interesting and somewhat unsophisticated belief system. In Taipei, the rents are typically less than the mortgage, often by a significant amount. Looking at these from an investment perspective, the cap rates are just stupid low. We’re talking as low as 1-2% in some cases.

I understand that the property owners/landlords see things differently here than residential real estate investors in the US would but the truth is that today’s shiny new cookie-cutter luxury apartment building in Taipei will age faster than a stressed out crack head.

1 Like

Yeah. I didn’t say it was a reasonable mentality either, it’s just what many people believe. It is quite silly but it also explains the high home ownership, inflated property prices, and how easy it is to sign and terminate a lease.

2 Likes

What actually is it that you have against MeiheShu?

Look into its dark past, how it was built. And I do not mean ghosts.

Yep, if they are lucky trying to get on the highway from Neihu to Taoyuan after work. Worse by scooter.

Or Keelung/Taipei by train…then bus…

I’m not trying to be lazy, but can’t you just tell me?

1 Like