Young Taiwanese Using Simplified Chinese and Apps from China

Don’t know if anyone saw this story the last few days about young people in Taiwan being addicted to Chinese app 小紅書 (RED) and using simplified characters.

What is fucked up is that apparently many young people are starting to use simplified on Instagram and Facebook. Is China winning the culture war with the youth of Taiwan?

Kind if feel this is the start of something bad.

https://www.dcard.tw/f/girl/p/235251075

2 Likes

Nahhh I’d just chalk it up as kids experimenting.

2 Likes

Their teachers tell them it is good for their careers. All hope is on China.

Their parents tell this this is a ghost island and they should leave it, hopefully for the Motherland.

Their grandparents are bombarded with simplified Chinese cute videos on LINE and Tik Tok. They download the free apps and share them.

Well tech is popular culture, right now in social media and e-commerce etc, China is way ahead. Young people love using 小紅書 because as Chinese speakers they have access to all this content. It feels like pendulum is swinging China’s way culturally and as they become richer and more advanced more young people will be attracted to China.

Xiaohongshu is like Pinterest, Instagram and e-commerce in one. It’s especially popular with girls

BTW this story has been a massive moral panic in Taiwan media this week

2 Likes

I don’t think that’s the case now though, I think Chinese tech is genuinely good and culturally china is getting better and more appealing.

It is the moral implications and don’t say it is the same as in the West. There are no checks and balances I’m dictatorships.

Having a single app for social and shopping becomes a hindrance when your social quota is pulled under your feet.

1 Like

What I can’t accept is that on DCArd people are saying they have seen high school kids using simplified a lot on Instagram.

That’s really fucked up. Use it on Chinese platforms but not on Instagram

Translation :1) My Female cousin always uses simplified on Instagram, gives me a headache

1. This is really true, my boyfriend’s sister is in middle school and always uses simplified on Instagram. She loves watching dramas from China as well. I was shocked when I found out

Is this the equivalent of people using SMS language in the west?

No

Simplified Chinese that they use in China

Kids are stupid.

2 Likes

Never seen it myself, but it wouldn’t surprise me if young people in taiwan were getting stupider, to the point that simplified chinese became ‘cool’.

I mean what do you expect, the generation that have grown up with social media from birth are going to be stupider.

1 Like

Well young people in the West are already addicted to Chinese apps via Tiktok

Taiwanese young people have access to all this tech as native mandarin speakers. Plus dramas, hip-hop, TV shows etc are improving from China and becoming more popular. I heard lots of young people like video platform BiliBili as well

For me it’s totally shocking and scary for Taiwan

I assume it is also the case in HK?

All these basically come from that one post on dcard, which is a horseshit forum so take anything posted on there with a huge grain of salt.

Yeah … to watch Japanese and Korean stuff.

The most popular thing amongst school-age children these days is bar-none Demon Slayer.

1 Like

Dcard and then in the mainstream Media

I asked some people if they heard about the simplified thing and they said yes

People have a way of using language however they want. Can’t see any reason to worry about it.

4 Likes

What mainstream media?

UDN
Ltn

It’s not just the language, it’s that Chinese popular culture through tech becoming mainstream in Taiwan

1 Like

The more people admonish kids, the more they’re gonna rebel.

4 Likes