Your advice on my Yamaha FZ1 - arrived yday from California

See thread here: http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=63310&hilit=bike+license+taiyuan

[quote=“omerojs”]for sure rawsushi is right, I have asked many friends about why they dont get a big bike, and they would give the same excuses that you can see in the previous post. they do like them " or it looks like that" they tell me that I have a nice bike, but then they will just get on their scooters and keep driving happily ever after…
its funny to see their limit, I have seen kids spending tons of money upgrading scooters, and dont get me wrong, some of those scooters I would like to have, they look very nice, but lets be real, they would never be able to pass a big bike, not even with 50K in upgrades for a brand new scooter… that is i.m.o…
well… small people, small power, small size, small country… i can understand that[/quote]

sorry to be off topic, but i’d like to comment on the mentality behind the scooter craze the taiwanese seem to be stuck on. for a long time I wondered like you omerojs, why do all these kids sink tons of money and time into modding and racing scooters? why not move on to a real motorcycle if you’re that into racing? its true that a top of the line scooter will never have as much power as a big bike, but the counterpoint to that is how often can or do you use that power. apart from mountain riding, most taiwan roads are short and small, suitable for something with good acceleration and agility. to make a point based on track experience, most scooters are outclassed at GAMFA, but the top scooter racers can still get times in 58 and 59 seconds… still not quite sure how they do it, but it goes to show how something without much power or top speed can still perform well on small windy roads and tight quarters. while most scooters can’t do much more than 100kph, its almost not really necessary for taiwan, and would in fact be quite dangerous if more people started driving fast considering that most people drive around 40kph. they have the acceleration and manevourability to make up for their shortcomings in most cases. Don’t get me wrong, i’m all for motorcycles, but you have to admit that they are pretty impractical for most people. I always rely on a scooter for daily transportation due to the convience factor, and sometimes I enjoy riding it around, but the speed demon in me always wishes for something more powerful :smiley:

on another side note : I have been seeing more small motorcycles around lately due to the availability of new models such as the CBR, Quannon, and the CPI. More power to the motorcycles! :bravo:

I would only add to that "… if you weigh 115 - 150 pounds. Once you’re up around 187cm’s (6’) tall and 100kg (220pounds) trying to get a scooter to pull you through a tight corner or hitting the brakes and expecting to slow down results in that strange “the frame is flexing” feeling. That alone makes you wish you had a MC between your legs, as opposed to the ability to carry a 50# sack of rice on the floorboard of the scooter :laughing:

40kph? Where do you live? There are plenty of a-mah’s in Taichung that whip around at about 70kph… But I agree with the sentiment. Imagine if everybody hotrodded around with great acceleration. Just the light turning green - and the obligatory Benz / blue truck running their red light would result in scattered scooter bits.

I’m with you 100% here. I’m looking at the different scooter models … when I lived here in the mid 90s the largest (CC) thing around was 150. I’m also looking now at the sub 250cc scooters… as I could easily carry the family on a (small) shopping trip to Costco on one! :slight_smile:

It’s too bad we don’t live in Philipines … my favorite was seeing a dude come back from the store with a 2 hens hanging upsided down tied to a stick on ONE side of a scooter, with a piglet tied to the other end of the stick on another side. Of course all alive - as fresh meat has to be slaughtered in the back yard (as all of us know). :smiley:

peace