Your experience with racism in Taiwan

I thought the food was pretty decent, nice country side dishes. The price wasn’t expensive.

3 Likes

Check out this post from a recruiter on Facebook:

We are going to hire two (American or British) teachers to teach Taiwanese high school and university’s students , moreover, the teacher needs to speak a little Chinese and have five or more years teaching experience about English, by the way , the teacher require having the sense of humor and having a good way or tips to encourage the students to speak English and discuss some topic issues,furthermore,the teacher must live in Taiwan because we sometimes have a teaching meeting with the teacher in Taichung office in Taiwan , in addition , the teacher need to cooperate with us for long term.

Salary:500-700 NT dollars per hour

Guarantee to provide more than 100 or more classes

Appearance:white people or caucasian not Asian not Indian not brown not black people

10 Likes

compare that to the racism supposed to have been experienced

3 Likes

I don’t get it. What’s your point?

1 Like

it was a recommendation from a poster in this thread to do before we decide if we, privileged foreigners, should be overall grateful or not.

1 Like

But you have the gift of poetic expression.

2 Likes

What is the difference between white and Caucasian ? Can you be black caucasian ? The world is so complex these days.

1 Like

I don’t understand your point.
Who is ‘we’.
This is foreigners experiencing extreme racism.
Anyway this recruiter is breaking the law.
Unfortunately there’s a huge amount of hiring by sex , looks and age in Taiwan . It happens everywhere but I think it’s particularly bad in East Asia. The racist component is part of a broader problem.

4 Likes

Ok, I had to be more direct, though I thought it was very direct.

It was meant to be a sarcasm to the poster.

2 Likes

By some definitions Caucasian would also include South Asian, so darker skin.

I do find it wryly amusing that “Caucasian not Asian” is a geographic contradiction.

Applicants require a sense of humor, indeed.

1 Like

So like a Kurd, some of them have green or blue eyes? A native English speaking Kurd from 28 to 40, that can go to interviews in Taichung. :rofl:

1 Like

Maybe they can just ask for clean shaven vikings with north American accents and a sense of humor.

1 Like

This is just one that didn’t think it through before he posted that drivel. Imagine how many don’t post it but simply trash any resume that doesn’t have a white profile picture attached to the resume

5 Likes

“Traditional appearance” was one euphemism I saw. It gave the advertiser the out that they just wanted to screen out the hippie-looking types,

1 Like

Assuming that unsourced, unlinked ad is true send it to TaiwanNews and let them kick up a fuss about it as they have before. I won’t dispute it as I’ve seen it many many times before, but not so much recently, though the white preference is well known. I’ve known schools that would hire a white Italian over a black American.

In my comment about being grateful that @tando is referencing, I was speaking to everyone making complains here, many of whom are not English teachers and many of those would not be affected that hiring policy but would benefit by it. If I remember from a previous poll, less than 20% are teachers, and most other jobs hire based on merit.

I’m not denying discriminations exists, but the thread is about “your experience” with racism. I think it’s important to compare supposed racism with the privilege that many have before complaining that someone shouted hello at them. For most white-collar workers, it seems ungrateful to complain about small indignities. But some have very reasoned complaints.

3 Likes

I once worked as a hiring manager for a large school here and black Americans were popular and well sought after as teachers . I have never heard of white Italians working as teachers in Taipei and this was over ten years ago. Without a passport from an English speaking country it was very risky to hire people white, black or yellow. Which schools hire Italians over black Americans ?

1 Like

So what about taiwanese americans who grew up overseas but have no american passport? Do they slip through the crack?

what is the supposed racism and what is the privilege to be compared?

It depends on who you are and where you’re from, but based broadly on the Forumosa crowd I’d say everything from

The privilege of being a foreigner in Taiwan, you mean against people in one’s own country? What is it to do with racism in Taiwan?

scholarships (especially to certain countries)

privilege of students on scholarship from countries with diplomatic relations?

to more job opportunities (for those from many countries)

more opportunities as English teacher for people from English speaking countries. more opportunities as caretakers or industrial workers for people from SEA countries.

Maybe for people from countries with much higher unemployment rate, there may be more job opportunities in general, especially if they have open work permit or work right?

Though, many foreigners cannot do other jobs which they can do if they are in own countries.

to higher salaries

Privilege of SEA workers, or comparing to living cost?

to increased breeding potential.

???

Throw in the amount of patience service staff have with those with poor-to-no local language skills compared with what you’d find in most other countries,

Privilege comparing to foreigners in other countries?

and that’s a lot of privilege I’d take into consideration before complaining that someone laughed at me.
The only complains I’d feel much sympathy for would be for migrant workers.

I think I haven’t got your point yet. Are you saying people from countries where they would experience more severe racism should not complain or criticize lighter racism in their current places?

Being grateful one’s situation and criticizing big or small unfairness are different things.

1 Like

it’s Taiwanese grew up in america?

Students or spouses can teach English without a right passport.