Your experience with racism in Taiwan

I can feel some unsolicited life advice coming.

4 Likes

I can speak Chinese, with a bad accent mind you. Normally my wife would throw the guy/girl under the bus and say hey, I thought you wanted to speak to him.

My wife reckons I am too reserved when I first meet people, and if I am not smiling, I look scary, so that might be the problem.

No advice needed. I am happy for the wife to leave me at home now.

1 Like

Well then, you’re wrong.

:laughing:

I just wanted to understand more about his situation because as in typical fashion, people generally only post a minute part of relevant information when sharing. The end result is an incomplete story that makes it difficult to have an objective perspective.

1 Like

Well it’s obvious @BigDave is…big, and that makes him intimidating to the smol Taiwanese relatives. :wink:

I’m just kidding @BigDave

2 Likes

Big is not the problem, ugly is.

Relatives are ok, friends…what are they? :cry:

4 Likes

BigDave and Crusher enter a bar.
Everybody else runs out.

3 Likes

And we still don’t talk to each other.

4 Likes

I’ve experienced it many times. In 2 public speeches — 1 of them being the Confucian Institute speech contest at UCLA with the Chinese consulate present — I told a story and the blatantly racist Chinese were surprised. They were like a person who had never ever looked in the mirror. (The winner went to Beijing for the final round on TV. I didn’t win)

In Taiwan, racism is a daily thing. If you don’t think you’ve experienced it then you are half asleep.

And the racism can be beneficial as well as detrimental.

I guess this is how I would explain my superb experience at MacKay Hospital. Felt like everybody was going out of their way and being super show-y. I could damned near hear their inner monologues saying, “Look at me helping the foreigner!” Among other experiences that day was being the first person seen by the urologist despite being 38th in line.

2 Likes

I would have let an enormous fart rip that would have not been sheltered by her paper. And then I would have shouted out “A-bian is da-bien” while making seal grunting noises.

Sometimes when they take the low road, you take the high one.

On the other hand, when dealing with public transportation peasants of taike variants, when they take the low road, you take the lower road. :joy: :joy:

2 Likes

They wanted to get the big problems out of the way first?

5 Likes

I can’t imagine my problem to have been any more important than the 37 Taiwanese grandpas surrounding me in the waiting room, other than being a foreigner that couldn’t speak Chinese.

Whoosh. There is a joke hidden in there.

5 Likes

Damn do I feel dumb now, lol. Well played.

leave it to the guy named big to get it :wink:

That’s the major downside to public transportation, in that you have to sit next to all kinds. You can of course get lucky , but for me it is usually next to another middle age person asking me “Why you come Taiwan”
zzzzzzz😴
I cannot even begin to imagine what young foreign females have to endure on public transportation.
I guess better than in the UK “Wat you looking at” “You want some”. Anyway I try to avoid peasant transport as much as possible. :wink:

2 Likes

Cause I live here!

1 Like

Better than Japan, where the locals always ask when you will leave.

4 Likes

^
| LMFAO

How about Korea ?

Never! I live here!

2 Likes