Your experience with racism in Taiwan

I’ve never been. Should have gone for a visit when my brother was stationed there pre-pandemic.

1 Like

That in turn causes friction because those in line won’t be happy to see you jump the queue.

I’m sure that’s true, but it wasn’t my choice. I was clearly number 38 on the list but the nurse practitioner flung open the doctors office door, pointed directly at me, and said “Matthew? Come in.”

Nah I’ve been at Mackay dozens of times. There are heaps of folks the doctors see outside of the formal numbering system. No one blinks an eye.

Guy

2 Likes

Fair do. The number system doesn’t mean much then.
I guess it’s not like a deli counter.

2 Likes

Yeah they often let people jump the queue for whatever reason.

2 Likes

I think they usually come from other doctors. At least that’s been my experience.

True, and I have often seen locals jump the queue in front of me too, but I do not assume racism.

I really want to know the contents of your speech now.

The key point was I’d been told walking down the street with my Chinese gf that we are not as good as animals 我們比動物還不如

Chinese are so surprised. As if they don’t know how racist they are. For Chinese racism is patriotism

I was in Beijing for the first time at 9pm no one about. One skinny Chinese guy sees me walking with my gf and makes a bee line to brush by her not me. I’m 200 and lift every day and before I did boxing and judo and Kenpo. I could have knocked his head off but I knew he could rain 10,000 Chinese down on me with a shout. See trouble coming is the best solution

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing that. And thank you especially for sharing with the Chinese Consulate.

I would say it’s pretty much the same, but sometimes you get odd looks depending on your fashion choices.

1 Like

If you show cleavage or nipples…All bets off lol.
Never mind somebody could have hot pants jammed up their crack and nobody blinks an eyelid.

4 Likes

My Taiwanese girlfriend was today stopped by the police asking to see her ID for the third time since we moved to Banqiao a year ago. She looks very African due to having one parent of that heritage, so she has been stopped before in other parts of Taipei, but this seems a bit much. I was all for taking a photocopy of her ID, pinning it to the wall in the local police station and telling them to study her face and leave her alone, but she told me she doesn’t want to be famous.

Apparently a friend of hers in the police force has told her that asking to see her ID is illegal, so she will record them next time.

2 Likes

From what I understand stopping a citizen and asking for ID is illegal, but stopping a foreigner and asking for ID is ok. And yes, that is obviously problematic.

7 Likes

How would the police know if the person they are about to ask has no Taiwanese citizenship?
Anyone can gain citizenship through marriage by giving up their original citizenship. (or a few chosen ones without giving up anything)

This is racial profiling.

6 Likes

which in most countries is legal.

1 Like

Stopped waking down the street?

How does that work?
:laughing:

1 Like

Yes, walking home from the mrt. One time we were sitting eating in our nearest family mart. I asked them indignantly why they didn’t want to check me or the guy using the ATM. They agreed to check mine but didn’t bother him. I understand now thanks to @bananas why they did that.

The only time in the four years we’ve been together that she’s been stopped outside Banqiao was on Roosevelt Road when we were on my scooter waiting at a traffic light.

The only other person she knows who’s been stopped like this is a female friend of hers from India, so she thinks it’s a brown skin thing. I used to joke with her that the local police were using it as an excuse to chat her up. Now I’ve suggested in jest that it’s a Taiwanese Island cultural memory and fear of 小黑人.

2 Likes