Your favorite language acquisition activities/exercises

Come to the next Teacher’s Network meeting, yc! I will have games about reviewing these two things. I just finished prepping them for testing on my students.

I’ve been using a board game to practice forming comparatives and superlatives with adjectives. Then I changed the dice and voila, it’s for making and using adjectives and adverbs. My private student loves it and I’m already seeing results from playing it once.

For reviewing parts of speech, verb tenses, spelling words, phonic sounds, and other individual words, I play the Buzz game.

Print a list of 20 words - 10 being your target words and 10 being other, but similar words. Make sure the first word is one of your target words.

Give a list to each student.

The students read the list aloud, except when they get to a word that is not a target (or is a target…your choice), they say, “Buzz!” Give them a time limit, like less than 3 seconds.

If they make a mistake, they start over from the top of the list.

You can make it a team game, a small group game, or an individual practice, depending on the goal. You can get your whole class to read the list one by one to see how fast they can go. You can get teams to compete to see who can finish first. You can have teams go back and forth and everyone who calls a false buzz or misses a buzz sits down so it’s a last man standing. You can have a student chart how fast they can read the list and see how much they progress over time.

I have a similar game for preschoolers called “Wiggly Worm”.

Get a jar (or better yet an empty tissue box). Write or draw vocabulary words, letters, sounds, or whatever you want to practice on strips of paper. Add ten or twelve strips with a long worm on them. Sit in a circle and take turns passing the box around and drawing a strip. You say the word on the strip and pass it on to the next person. If someone draws a worm strip, they say “Wiggly Worm!” and everyone stands up and wiggles for five seconds and plops back down to continue the game.

Another miltown original…

This activity might be a little to difficult for kindergartners, but my class had fun anyway.

First I reviewed shapes (square, circle, triangle etc.), then I reviewed/taught these: inside, outside, over, under, line, dot

Then I drew some simple pictures and they’d tell me “There is a triangle in the square. There are two dot over the square.”

After that I drew a picture, had a kid look at it and then tell another kid how draw it on the board.

In the end I had everyone partner up and did a little game where a group of kids came to look at the picture I drew and then went back to explain how to draw it to their partner. That part got a little messy, but they had a ton of fun.

Seems like an activity that could be done with much success with older kids.

Here’s a longer activity that gets students talking. We had a pretty fun class this morning with it. I modified an activity I found on www.eslcafe.com (see the original here). First we made up a fictitious name for a restaurant–we chose Thursday’s, a TGIF ripoff.

Then we made a simple menu for our restaurant, which served salad, chicken or steak. Each could be served different ways, such as Fried Chicken or Blackened Chicken; the students gave the suggestions about what kinds of chicken they thought should be on the menu. We designed some meal deals, i.e. customers could pay $150 extra to get soup or salad and a drink. We made up a beverage menu and a dessert menu, too. I wrote everything on the board and came up with some arbitrary prices for each item on the menu.

We figured out some things that a waiter might say. I wrote some of them on the board, such as “Welcome to Thursday’s. Do you have a reservation?”, “Soup or Salad” or “How would you like your steak, sir?”

Then I split the students up into small groups (about 4 in one group), and gave them time to rehearse. They chose one group member to be the waiter, and for a few minutes they practiced ordering or whatever.

Finally I gave each group a chance to perform in front of the class. They all did pretty well, and had a good time. After all that, the students asked some more questions about how to say certain things or what the waiter would say after he took the orders.

It was more than an hour long altogether, but I think the students had a good time and each of the activities seemed to be interesting and stimulate conversation. And hopefully they placate the student who keeps asking me about “daily-life restaurant English”, too. :wink: I think this kind of activity could be modified to different situations, such as buying a car or computer, or planning a vacation with different stops and modes of travel.

My favorite activity as an ESL assistant (currently in the US) is miming whatever the student doesn’t understand. You can get them involved, and I find it is highly effective and fun.

My little contribution is a popular one with all my elementary classes wherever I teach:

Freeze and Go

Summary: A great activity to energize a tired class or just finish on a high note!

1. Everybody walks around the classroom interweaving between each other. Any players who touch are out of the game.
  2. When the teacher calls out “FREEZE!” the whole class must freeze in position. At that point, the class begins to chant your grammar point from the white board. If any of the students move during this time, they must sit down.
  3. When teacher yells “GO!” everybody starts moving once again. Remember, any touching of body parts is automatic elimination.
  4. Teacher can spice up the game by yelling skip, hop, swim, or any other assortment of verbs for kids to practice.
  5. Suitable for grades 1-5.

Hope you like it!! :slight_smile:

My latest favorite game for younger students (6-9) is to give all the students a vocab flashcard from a similar category (clothes, food, places, etc…) that we have done recently. And then use one of the sentence patterns that we need to review. I start by saying ‘I am going to the park’ (or whatever sentence pattern is appropriate) and the student with the park flashcard has to say that sentence but choose a different students flashcard before I hammer (a toy hammer) their desk and take away their flashcard. And then the next student needs to say the sentence before I get to them and so on. The kids love it and it’s one of the few times I can get the really quiet kids to speak up. For the weaker students I give them a little more time and I’m able to check if they use the correct verb (He is, I am, You are), a or no a, correct prep, etc… I also have a lot of fun with the game also…

I know this post is 4 years old but I have done something that has been relatively successful with my 9-12 yr olds that have good vocabularies but are still working on using the correct verb tenses and preps. Split the class into two teams and have them lineup at the whiteboard. I make it a race and at the end read thru all the verbs giving one point for a correct answer.

day 1 (2 hrs once a week) - 1st student picks a verb and writes simple past, 2nd writes present continuous, 3rd writes any future tense, 4th student starts over with a new verb and the they go for 3-5 minutes. If a verb has been used by one team the other team can’t use it.

day 2 - switch up tenses used after reviewing them. And then have the students also write the subject so you can check for (he go, he walk) type of stuff.

day 3 - do the same except now make it a full sentence using a preposition that we reviewed during the last few classes

I think I’m due for a break from this activity so the kids don’t get sick of it. but I’ll bring it back in some form or another.

I’ve never been a fan of word searches. I think quite often you have kids who look for sequences of letters rather than recognizing them as words. Like, find the sequence HGMRBFQ in the box. You can find it, circle it, and have no clue what it is supposed to mean.

Not that word searches aren’t useful. Matchstick Man’s adaptation is good. You can also give them familiar words and have close, but incorrect spellings included to see if they can see which is which. You can also focus on certain sound combinations and spelling combinations to help key kids into repeated patterns in spelling.

But more often than not I find ones I’m given to give out to be examples of less effective activities.[/quote]

I use this very useful adaptation which I have found almost all age levels (haven’t tried it with adults, though) enjoy:

Divide the class into two teams of equal numbers/abilities. You can supply a word list or not according to your desired difficulty level. I call out a random word. In order to get a point for their team, students must first find and circle the word themselves (reading/recognition skills). Then they must run to the front of the class and write the word FROM MEMORY without looking at their wordsearch or with help from (usually screaming) classmates behind. If they spell it wrong (or write too messily) I do not give them a point. If they go back to their seat and look at their paper. They cannot return to write the answer. It must be done from memory. This reinforces spelling very well.

It is particularly useful for teaching tenses (past tenses or past participles). I create the wordsearch in such a way that they have to find the past tense (target form) after hearing the simple/infinitive form, thereby giving them practice with tenses (which we all know every student needs at some point). The spelling practice they get at the same time becomes just an added bonus.

Another adaptation is that instead of calling out the word, you can act it out thereby bringing the meaning of the word into play.

Vocab Memory Game

Organize students into pairs. Provide 20 paper slips to each pair. Students write on each slip one of ten vocabulary words and their definitions. Students shuffle the cards or slips and turn the cards upside down in five rows of four cards. Player 1 turns over one card, then another. If the two cards are a matching word and definition, the player holds those two cards. If they don’t match, Player 2 takes a turn. Play continues until all matches are made. Winner is the student with the most pairs. I can’t remember if this was a game I made up or read somewhere. Likely the latter, but a useful activity nonetheless that my class likes to play. This can be played in groups of four (or any even numbered group if you want to keep your prep down.)

I like to play an adaptation on Hangman called Hangsentence. I either come up with a sentence on my own or choose a sentence from the textbook. Then I write a line for each word in the sentence except two (or more) words which I write out to give them clues. Then, it’s just like playing hangman only that the students call out words, rather than letters.

If the sentence is, “Adam is an amazing teacher who has lots of great ideas.” I would write out something like:

Adam _____ ____ amazing __________ who ______ _______ ______ _____ ideas.

Most used games I’ve been doing:

Pizza of Death: Preparation: You need a sticky ball. Draw a huge circle on the board. Cut it into slices like a pizza, one for each student and one extra for you. Change the center (where the lines converge) into a circle (like a bullseye) and write “Pizza of Death” there. Write your name in the smallest slice. Hopefully have this all arranged in less than 2 minutes, or do it before class on the board and let the kids wonder what’s going on as they walk in.
Rules to explain: “This is a pizza of death. There are many slices here, one for each person. When you answer a question, you get to throw the ball at the pizza like this.” (Toss the ball at the pizza and let it thwack satisfyingly. Let students marvel) “Whoever you hit is DEAD! The slices to the left and right of that person then Paper Rock Scissors. Whoever wins just KILLED that person and takes over his slice. The last person remaining is the winner, and has KILLED the entire classroom. Now, when I say go, I want you to stand up and write your name in a slice of pizza. Go!”
Play-by-play: After they have all signed their name (I used this game for classes ranging from 10-45, but it really only works up to about 20), ask a few easy questions. “Okay, question one… Raise your hand to answer… What is my name?” The first student who raises his hand and answers gets to throw the ball. Whoever he hits, erase that name, saying proudly, “Okay, Anthony is DEAD. Now, Sandy and Winnie, Paper Rock Scissors. Okay, Sandy, you won.” Erase the border of Sandy and Anthony’s slice so now Sandy’s slice is two slices. “Okay, question two, how do you spell my name?” Let them jump up now, eager to play.
Eventually, or maybe immediately, one of them will ask what the bullseye at the center is, or maybe they will just hit it by luck. “If you hit the pizza of death words, then you get a new slice. I will take the largest slice, cut it in half, and write your name in. So even if you die, you can come back into the game.”
This is a good game for any task; from reading a new story to answering grammar questions to just a time waster. Eventually, students realize a few things; it’s not actually good to be a bigger slice, if you want to win. Toss out easy questions with the hard ones to let all students have the opportunity to throw the ball. If a student hits a line, he can kill two people, maybe even three. Other variations are not having students write in their name, but instead writing in other things and having students represent them. (For my class of 40 I did this with teachers names in the pizza slices, and some students almost cried when their homeroom teacher got killed, although the boy who did the killing was very happy).

Popcorn: No preparation needed: “Okay, here’s how popcorn works. Everyone will be standing. You will read a sentence, one sentence. Then you will say Popcorn Tina. Then you sit down. Tina reads a sentence and says Popcorn Jerry. Tina sits down. You can only Popcorn people who are standing. Okay, everyone stand up.”
Very simple task, it gets all the kids eager to read (to sit down of course). This is a good way to also listen to individuals speak who are timid, and to also correct the harder vocabulary words. I’ll find that even a very poor reader will be happy to attempt the harder sentences just to sit down. They also have to keep track of where they are, because if they are popcorned and don’t know where they are, they have to remain standing. I usually do two rounds of this… the last person to be standing finishes his/her sentence, and I say, “okay, everyone stand up.” I have him/her popcorn someone and he/she is very happy to be the first one to sit.

One Minute Write: This is a series you can do repeatedly throughout the year. Give each student a half sheet of paper or open their book to a new page and draw a line cutting it in half. Have them get pencils ready. “Okay, lift up your pencils. Now, today we are going to do one minute writes. You are going to write AS MANY words as you can think of that are of the type that I say. So, if I say colors, you can write Blue…” (Write on the board), “or green…or black… or…” and wait for a student to say one and write it down. Then whirl around: “But don’t write down anything! Because it won’t be colors. No. Today you are going to write verbs. What is a verb?” Give two or three examples, write them on the board. “Okay… so, when I say go, you will have one minute. Are you ready? Starting in five seconds…GO!” Walk around the room as some scribble, others stare confusedly around, and throw out some help. “Walk is a verb… you could write see…” Give them one minute to write, then say, “okay, pencils UP! Now, stand up. Sit down if you have 1 or less word… 2 or less… 3 or less…” and go up till you have 3 or so kids standing.
Usually I do a round two and pick a much easier topic so that they then have a feeling of success the second time.
Verbs is just an example, you can make it more difficult, and it is pretty variable. You could say, “Tell me as much as you can about your father.” or just whatever… Of course, then the quickwrite isn’t about how many words you wrote, but just something you can collect and maybe read to learn more about the students.

I’ll just say this about word searches for now: They’re NOT useful as learning tools in my experience, however, they’re good time-killers. But that’s not enough. I give out word searches to kids who finish the test early to let them preview the next unit or review old words for a bigger test coming up soon. Then, the students who didn’t finish early still get the word searches and can take them home if they want. But here’s the key: make sure that they write each word at least one or two times underneath where it appears below, or they won’t get any points/credit/whatever. After finishing all the circling they’ll be very eager to write the words so they can cash the word search in for some kind of reward. It’s a good way to trick them into learning.
Cryptograms are a good way to teach spelling too. Kids will realize halfway through what a word is and they will usually try to finish writing the word by themselves without consulting the crypto-key. This is ideal, because it shows they’re trying to think about the spelling. Another good way to make them learn without knowing.
And the best of these tools, of course, are crossword puzzles for the simple reason that crosswords teach and reinforce proper spelling while also requiring knowledge of definitions/meanings to complete. You can find resources to generate your own crosswords, cryptograms, and word searches for free on the internet, ready to print and very professional looking.