Your Favorite Westerns

I enjoy movies about life in the American West, past and present. Clint Eastwood is my favorite actor in these kinds of films.

If you hate Westerns, then start your own thread about effete intellectual movies, and kiss my saddle-chapped ass :slight_smile: .

If you like Westerns, share with the crowd your favorite titles.

Predictably, my favorites are mostly Clint Eastwood, Malpaso Films movies (in order):

1. The Outlaw Josey Wales
  2. Every Which Way But Loose (Not a Western, per se, but takes place in Bakersfield, CA, with lots of Western motifs).
  3. Unforgiven
  4. Bronco Billy
  5. Any Which Way You Can

I also like Dances with Wolves and Silverado. Perhaps my favorite film didn’t take place in the West, but on the American frontier at the time–Last of the Mohicans, with Daniel-Day Lewis.

How about the rest of the Western-loving set? Which films are your favorites?

us.imdb.com/Title?0049201

The Fastest Gun Alive, best “draw” scene ever.

McCabe & Mrs. Miller (more of an anti-Western than a Western, but a still a fine film with a wonderful Leonard Cohen soundtrack)
The Shootist
The Wild Bunch (shame on you Tomas – you call yourself a Western-lover, but you don’t list any Sam Peckinpah :wink: )
Soldier Blue
Unforgiven
High Noon

And I can’t think why no-one’s made a film of those Larry McMurty Lonesome Dove books.
And have I ever seen a film based on Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee? If not, why not?

Ditto to most of Sandman’s recommendations. And add Once Upon a Time in the West.

I thing Unforgiven was an awsome movie, but my all-time favorite is Hombre.

Based on a novel by Elmore Leonard, the dialog sounds almost like it was written by Jack Webb, but somehow it works. Maybe because I come from a Native American family. It rocks. If I ever see the DVD in Taiwan, I will snatch it up very quickly.

Well, part of my motivation for starting this thread was to remember some of the great films I’ve seen in the past. So thanks for the reminders, Sandy.

I’ve read the entire Lonesome Dove series (Four volumes in all), and seen the three made-for-television productions that resulted from them. Lonesome Dove may be my favorite Western of all. It sure turned me into a Robert Duvall fan.

Thanks also for reminding me about the Shootist and High Noon. I’m not a big Samuel P. fan, but I haven’t seen one of his films for more than a decade.

Wild Bunch is king of all Westerns
Lonesome Dove mini-series…awesome.
How about…
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Shane
The Magnificent Seven
Fistful of Dollars trilogy
Little Big Man
True Grit
Red River

Maybe Tombstone, Pale Rider or Blind Justice if you want extra cheese on your Western pizza.

Shane. Hmm, maybe I should rewatch that one. Everyone says it’s a classic. But the first time I saw it I was too annoyed by that whiny kid (“Shay-ane! Shay-ane!”) to like the movie. Give me Stagecoach over that any day.

[quote]and seen the three made-for-television productions that resulted from them. Lonesome Dove may be my favorite Western of all. It sure turned me into a Robert Duvall fan.
[/quote]

Damn! Talk about head-in-the-sand! I never even heard of these TV shows and I love watching Robert Duvall. Who does he play? I bet its Cap’n Coll?

[quote]Little Big Man
True Grit
Red River [/quote]

Baby! Bring 'em on! Only problem is finding them in local DVD rental outlets (although my local not-KPS-not-Blockbuster-the-other-one-with-the-yellow-sign has a special edition DVD of the Wild Bunch).

[quote=“sandman”][quote]Little Big Man
True Grit
Red River [/quote]

Baby! Bring 'em on! Only problem is finding them in local DVD rental outlets (although my local not-KPS-not-Blockbuster-the-other-one-with-the-yellow-sign has a special edition DVD of the Wild Bunch).[/quote]

How about A Man Named Horse?

Yeah, That Shane kid needs a smacking. One of the great annoying voices of all time.

Duvall plays Gus. Tommy Lee Jones plays Coll. You have got to see this mofo. One of the most faithful adaptations of a book I have ever seen.

“Augustus McCrae may be my favorite character I’ve ever played. At least as good as Hamlet. I felt it was a privilege to play that part. Great part.”

–Robert Duvall

[quote=“sandman”]How about A Man Named Horse?[/quote]Ma Ying-Jieouw ? :shock:

[quote]Duvall plays Gus. Tommy Lee Jones plays Coll. You have got to see this mofo. One of the most faithful adaptations of a book I have ever seen.
[/quote]

Oh man, I would love to get my hands on this.

One-Eyed Jacks. Brando IS god!

How could I have forgotten The Missouri Breaks with Brando and Nicholson. I love that film. Brando gives an awesome and bizarre performance.

Most memorable western: The Professionals
Claudia Cardinale! She turned my teenage head.

p.s. Wonderful soundtrack, the Magnificent Seven. The recording engineer was none other than Juba’s old pa.

“I don’t think it’s nice, you laughin’. You see, my mule don’t like people laughin’. He gets the crazy idea you’re laughin’ at him.”

I love Clint’s westerns. The Man with no Name trilogy is awesome.
So are “The Outlaw Josse Wales” and “Unforgiven”

A like John Wayne, too: True Grit, Rio Bravo, and others.

In no particular order:

The Unforgiven
Dances with Wolves
Tombstone (1993)
Winchester '73
The magnificent Seven
High Noon
The Jack Bull

and many others.

Star Wars.

The very first one is just a western in outer space: good guys, bad guys, guns, outposts, woman in trouble, loner becomes good guy hero, etc.

Anyone with me on this?