Your folks are coming?

Well, my mum gets here today. That’s why I find myself here. I also note I’m not alone in this category. There’s a level of discomfort here permeating through this board. Anxious people wishing to give a good impression of Taiwan. You want your folks to be happy and entertained during their stay - some of which you may be in the classroom.

From the obvious to the quirky I propose a list of activities be made up for the “parent’s visit” to Taipei and around the island. Perhaps people can share some highlights of their parent’s visit.

To get the ball rolling:

The National Palace Musuem.
A couple of hours at a KTV.
Gondola.
Tea at the Grand Hotel.
Trying their hand at ceramics - Sanxia.

As someone else mentioned - try not to fall into the trap of doing too much. They hAve they come to see you too, right?

Get the board games out.
Be sure to visit your favorite restaurants

No links provided - they’re all in the obvious category. I am a man in need of ideas myself, but hopefully this thread can help others.

[quote=“viba”]
The National Palace Musuem.
A couple of hours at a KTV.
Gondola.
Tea at the Grand Hotel.
Trying their hand at ceramics - Sanxia. [/quote]
Mine came in last night! This is their 6th or 7th time here now. (Ever since the grandkids came along, they feel more drawn to this place! :wink: )
The Grand Hotel is nice, but DON"T go there for afternoon tea. It sucks. Gondola is good. KTV? My parents would kill me. :hand:

Whenever I had international guests while I was in Taiwan, I’d usually follow this itinerary:
(1) 1st day: Taipei: Museum, 101, Grand Hotel, and Snake Alley.
(2) 2nd, 3rd day: Wulai: Japanese hot springs for one night, gondola to the amusement park/resort for second night.
(3) 4th, 5th, 6th: Taroko Gorge/Hualian for sightseeing.
(4) Close friends: Lalashan excursion to get away from the hustle and bustle/drink in nature

Yeliu and Jiufen are a must too. Also taking them on a walk early in the morning and you know meeting tai’chi practitioners, and all the fox trotters and sword swingers. They get to see the real people.

Decent itinerary CP, but Snake Alley is distressing for a lot of people. It’s also a complete shithole these days. I wouldn’t even take YOU there if you came to visit me. :laughing:

OP, the main thing to consider is what does your mother like: nature, culture, eating, activities?

A lot of guys have got the time of year right this year–most important thing!

A temple, say the Xingtiangong. Not sure about the Grand Hotel, but a Chinese-style tea house is fun. Some nature somewhere for sure, depending on how much walking they’re up to.

[quote=“Cornpone Hercules”]Whenever I had international guests while I was in Taiwan, I’d usually follow this itinerary:
(1) 1st day: Taipei: Museum, 101, Grand Hotel, and Snake Alley.
(2) 2nd, 3rd day: Wulai: Japanese hot springs for one night, gondola to the amusement park/resort for second night.
(3) 4th, 5th, 6th: Taroko Gorge/Hualian for sightseeing.
(4) Close friends: Lalashan excursion to get away from the hustle and bustle/drink in nature[/quote]

I think snake alley is not a place to be promoted really. Last time i brought some high roller company higherups (cuz they wanted to go) I felt like it wasnt the place.

I dont think people honestly want to see snakes being peeled alive and headless turtles with legs kicking but no head attached and the cheap whores that are virtual prisoners. NO, its all wrong on so many levels.

Want to shock them (slightly) take them to MODERN TOILET for “disgusting” meal.

take em to kenting on the HSR. Come back on the east coast and stay in Royal Chihpen for a nite , hualian for another. Take in hotsprings, etc.

Visit SM lake (although maybe now is not as nice as its lost its tranquility with all the mainlanders there perhaps)>

Palace museum (again i dont know if its all too crowded now)

Taipei 101 (crowded with mainlanders tho)

Yehliu (crowded with mainlanders tho)

Actually i dnno. take em to Hong KOng !1 :slight_smile:

one or more of the islands. Kinmen and Green were favorites of my family. There are small close ones for day trips.

as boring as markets get, its fun for first timers i find.

gotta go through one mountain pass, thats the best part of this whole island.

temple ceremonies…Matsu’s Bday in a good place is just simply impossible to beat anywhere else on earth.

i often try and pic different geography because in my ignorant opinion most things in Taiwan can be found everywhere in Taiwan. maybe one spot is considered the best, but i often cant tell and i am used to subtle differences locals rave about.

time is an issue too…personally i feel its pointless to go to Taiwan and only stay around the Taipei area. Taipei has cool spots, but its so boring compared to the rest of the island, unless city life is enjoyed by them :slight_smile:

you guys are so nice to the parents. if mine come, I would take them to the other side of Taipei, drop them off and see how long it takes for them to make it back. :laughing: