Your Idea of Heaven

[color=#0000FF]I know many people don’t believe there is one, so there’s no need to post in this thread to let us know, once again, that you think it is stupid.[/color]
(I’m watching you Chris.)

Not long ago, somebody that I only knew throught the Internet died. He was a very right-wing moderator of a politics forum in the States. Well, naturally, me and him went at it at times, but I always had a good opinion of him and we had exchanged pleasant e-mails. But now that he’s no longer with us, I think of him being in heaven and looking down and realizing that I was right all along. He’s thinking, “Hey, that Dr. McCoy guy was right. I was being a close minded tool of the wealthy elite.”

So I guess that I think that if there is a heaven, you would have clear thinking and logic and access to all information. Kind of silly, really.

[quote=“Dr. McCoy”][color=#0000FF]I know many people don’t believe there is one, so there’s no need to post in this thread to let us know, once again, that you think it is stupid.[/color]
(I’m watching you Chris.)[/quote]

Well I believe there’s a heaven, I just don’t believe we go there when we die. I believe we decompose in the ground. But I can understand why other people believe or want to believe in the extroatmospheric paradise of popular Christianity (or not so popular, since belief in heaven going is steadily waning).

[quote]Not long ago, somebody that I only knew throught the Internet died. He was a very right-wing moderator of a politics forum in the States. Well, naturally, me and him went at it at times, but I always had a good opinion of him and we had exchanged pleasant e-mails. But now that he’s no longer with us, I think of him being in heaven and looking down and realizing that I was right all along. He’s thinking, “Hey, that Dr. McCoy guy was right. I was being a close minded tool of the wealthy elite.”

So I guess that I think that if there is a heaven, you would have clear thinking and logic and access to all information. Kind of silly, really.[/quote]

I don’t think that’s silly. It’s a natural consequence of our idea that heaven is ‘up there’, and that from so far ‘up there’ you’d have a much better view of things, both literally and spiritually.

Intellectually, I probably don’t believe in a heaven. At least not to the point where I could describe it. But emotionally… That’s a different story. With the loss of close ones, especially members of the immediate family, it is comforting to think of them watching over us. Or just watching us. Like they have some kind of special TV and they would say, “I wonder what our son is up to these days? Let’s tune in and see.”

I saw the movie with Robin Williams and I read the book that it was based on, What Dreams May Come. The book made a lot of claims like ‘this is based on actual proof of the hereafter’. I don’t see any proof of that.

This is just an extended holiday from our lives on another plane. When we die we return home.

I can’t believe in a heaven as Christians define it and it’s too final and depressing to believe in nothingness. But if all consciousness ends at the point of death then I’d never know anything about the nothingness, so maybe that is ok after all.

So I’ll let you know when i make my return trip.

[quote=“StuartCa”]This is just an extended holiday from our lives on another plane. When we die we return home.[/quote]Do you take a plane?

The tradition views of heaven that I pick up is that it’s where you go after you die; and you get to spend all eternity with all your family and friends, and everything is perfect. That does not compute.

Oh heaven,
heaven is a place,
a place where nothing,
nothing ever happens.

Talking Heads

I used to think Heaven would be up on a cloud
with all of your family and friends hanging out.
Nobody would be arguing.
God would have a bigger chair;
kind of like the chair for Abe at the Lincoln Memorial,
and nothing ever really happened.

If the grim reaper comes after you’ve eaten your Salmon mouse I think you’re allowed to take your car with you. Not sure about other modes of transport being allowed.

I’ll ask when i get there in 40+ years :laughing:

[quote=“zender”]Oh heaven,
heaven is a place,
a place where nothing,
nothing ever happens.

Talking Heads

I used to think Heaven would be up on a cloud
with all of your family and friends hanging out.
Nobody would be arguing.
God would have a bigger chair;
kind of like the chair for Abe at the Lincoln Memorial,
and nothing ever really happened.[/quote]
Oooo heaven is a place on Earth.–Belinda Carlyle
When I first heard that song I thought she was saying ‘Cool heaven’.

mousse.

and it’s only Volvos that are allowed, isn’t it?

spell checks i don’t need thanks, especially when i’m doing this at work and not really concentrating.

But corrections on my movie knowledge are welcome

All this heaven stuff is a crock. The lucky ones get sent to Grangemouth, the rest have to spend eternity in Cardenden.

In the immortal words of the Lady in the Radiator:

“In heaven, everything is fine. You’ve got your good things, and I’ve got mine.”

sorry, stu… i just burst out giggling at the vision of the fish-rodent.

still, the fish-large deer combo is even funnier, unless you’re a canadian.

fair play , now you mention it, it is funny :laughing:

Pole-dancing strippers, live black-metal rock bands, and like, flames coming from everywhere.

Maybe some rooms off to the side with BDSM fetish stuff going on…

An infinite amount of parallel universes.

Octoberfest!

So, I sure hope this song isn’t true:
ca.youtube.com/watch?v=SoZCrMKbPN0

Sorry, Funk, can’t find the Joe Gibbs version.

Endlessly boning my personal harem of 72 virgins as each night I sustain a thousand erections after a thousand blissful orgasms.

Oh wait, that’s not my idea of heaven. That’s the idea of some medieval sexist who couldn’t see past his penis.

That and owning my own personal planet that I populate with the seed sown into my multiple wives and where I get to play God.

I always wondered what attractions heaven had to offer Muslim and Mormon women. I mean, there’s not exactly a heck of a lot Allah and Jehovah have to offer those who possess vaginas.

And what if you’re gay? That’s pretty problematic if you’re a Mormon, since you can’t procreate your planet via anal sex with your ‘longtime companion’. Do gay Muslims enter a paradise filled with 72 boytoys giving him eternal blowjobs?

I don’t know, the idea of heaven as a shrine devoted to the pleasure of my cock strikes me as rather…vulgar, somehow.

And there are certainly none of those around here.

Actually, I want to go to your heaven instead of mine! (Uh, as long as I’m not one of the 72.)

(In case anyone is wondering, Muslim theology holds that their hymens regenerate or something.)