Your Investment Portfolio

In the spirit of sharing, where are your investments at right now? Are you just starting out investing, are you in the middle, or are you close to retirement? How big a role does your investment portfolio play in your retirement plans? How about real estate?

Do you have a specific method you follow? Any long term winners? Short term? Big losers? Anything of interest really …

Invest in what you know. The common thing they say is diversification lower risks. But look at how successful investors invest.

One of my first investments was Quest Diagnostics. I think stock value almost doubled for me in a year. I’m looking to get back into investing for a record of my portfolio. I want to get into financial investments and I’m back at school for it. Your portfolio is kind of like you resume.

https://youtu.be/ibSp1xzLfy8

1 Like

I primarily follow a couch potato methodology with US index funds, Canadian, International, and Emerging market index funds. Every bi-weekly cheque $400 Can goes into my TFSA ( like a Roth IRA), $400 into my wife’s TFSA, and $300 into my RRSP ( like a 401K). My tfsas money and my wife’s tfsas money both follow the couch potato method with about 50% going into US index funds, and 15% or so (each) into Canadian index funds, International index funds, and Emerging market index funds. The $300 going into my rrsp goes directly into a u.s. dollar US index Fund.

Here is my set up:

1. My TFSA (similar to a Roth IRA):
    -$27000 CAN in various index funds with $400 biweekly added
    • $1000 US in EVBG, $1000 US in KTOS, and $3200 US in BZUN (book value $1900, 66% return in a year!)
    • $24000 CAN in various “other” stocks that have done VERY well for me (more than 100% return) … Some I have sold to give the basis of my index funds, but I have kept about 50% of the money invested to ride it out.

Total in my TFSA: $58438 CAN/ $49685 US

My RRSP :
- $6300 US in Chinese tech (BABA, TCEHY), some FB, and two US stocks: KTOS and EVBG.
- $6000 CAN in the same well performing Canadian stocks ( book value under $3000 CAN)
-$2250 US in US index stocks ($300 CAN added biweekly)
Total RRSP: $17077 CAN/ $13676 US

Wife’s TFSA:
- Exclusively Index funds; ($400 CAN added bi-weekly)
- $16000 CAN / $12000 US

House Net worth:
-$32000 CAN

Emergency Fund: $5000 CAN

Son’s education Fund: $40000 CAN

I will have a $30000 CAN / year defined benefits pension in 5 years time ( at 50 years old). This allows a certain amount of risk that would otherwise be very risky indeed. When I get my pension at 50 years old, both our tfsas will be allowed to compound for 15 years, and then they will help our actual retirement at 65 years old.

Anyways, that is where we are at as of right now.

1 Like

I agree and I disagree. The couch potato methodology that I follow for the majority of my portfolio mitigates risk, has low fees, and is relatively simple to maintain. On the other hand the “other” stocks that I have allow for the great increase that happens when you get a double or triple bagger. The “other” stocks is where I let my research work, and sometimes make some money, sometimes lose some money , and occasionally make a lot of money. And it is fun at the same time.

What about European stocks? Living in Europe has made in interested. It’s something I’m trying to take advantage of living here. Learning more about the European market. Having lived in Asia, NA, and Europe is something I hope to use as my advantage.

The International (XEF) and Emerging market indexes (VEE) have a fair amount of European and Asian companies. I use a Canadian broker (RBC Direct Investing) so I can’t really invest directly in European or Asian markets. I do for a few select Asian companies through ADRs, but I don’t know enough about European companies to invest in them directly, and it is a pain to do so through my broker.

On a related note, probably my biggest failure was in an investment directly in the Asian stock Weibo (WB) which in my mind is a good investment, but the reality did not work out that way, with about a 65% loss ( luckily only sbout $700 US in the end). Live and learn.

Besides annuities, I let my financial planner handle everything. It helps that it’s a family friend I know I can trust, and returns have been better than expected. I don’t mind helping him become rich for the convenience, especially with the massive amount of charity work he uses his wealth to accomplish.

I see you subscribe to /r/wallstreetbets.

1 Like

I do not. I don’t use Reddit

All in on VIDT, me

how much, on average, you pay for this service each year?

It’s fixed a little under 1%, but there are some other small fees for setting up trusts and taking care of insurance plans and such.

Normal users would need to pay some other initial fees but I didn’t as a friend.

The only thing I need to do is tell him what percentage of my investment I want in higher risk classes and what percent in lower risk classes.

If I need extra cash for something like buying a house, I just call him and the money will be in the bank in a day or two.

I’m confused. You’re selling off your big winners?

Hk’s stock market is easy to play if you know how. I’ve heard with an initial lump sum you can reap in HKD30K/NTD120K/CAD5K/USD3800 per month on average tax free because of no capital gains tax in Hk. The big banks and top three Hk property developers stocks are fairly safe and good investments. It’s best to always buy and sell stocks with reputable investment companies.

$3800 US a month from banks and REITS?

That initial deposit is probably 7 figures.

Yes. Locking in profits with stocks that some view as speculative. Not Bitcoin, but of a “greener” variety. It hit a point where I was not comfortable having close to 50% of my portfolio in one specific, very new industry that is just starting to show real returns.

OK. I get that. In my experience (20 years in and doing very well) is that it just takes one good burn to get you out of that speculative market. lol

Mine was losing US20K in flat screens overnight. :doh:

Good lucky!

Just curious how much you have in the game with this one?

2k dollarydoos or so plus the remainder from last time
It went up almost 50 percent last night but I only had 200 bucks in that lol
I’ll be laffing when it goes to 10 bucks