Your tax dollars at work: fengshui & the Taipei RR station

The Taiwan Railway Administration has added a glass hallway to the main entrance of the Taipei train station to, um, ward off evil spirits.

source: Railway uses ‘feng shui’

I would say withhold judgment until we see the hard data. Who knows, if suicides decrease, it would be a good investment.

Once the ripple effect calmly washes the peace and tranquility coccooning Taipei Main Station onto us all, we shall benefit in ways untold. Our rides will be smoother, our companions that much more willing. No more frantic sweatiness, nor hurrying to the finish. A satisfying, more fluid experience.

I fuckin’ knew it was the white tiger demon’s fault. He’s such a dick.

But I don’t pay taxes, so I’m ok with superstition :unamused:

hey, if there’s a white tiger demon, you deal with it. forget it and the same guys would be criticising you for disregarding chinese culture.

I just googled “white tiger demon” and this is what came up:

Scares the hell outta me!!! :astonished:

[quote=“Comrade Stalin”]I just googled “white tiger demon” and this is what came up:

Scares the hell outta me!!! :astonished:[/quote]

Why? Because she has a Ak 47 under that knitting project? :slight_smile:

I’ve done fung shui before. It can’t hurt to try something that would bring beauty to a space.

This is exactly why they should ditch the feng shui guru for a professional architect. Master Hun Yuan knows nothing about urban architecture nor the design requirements for a busy transportation hub.

“The worst practitioners of feng shui manipulate the psychological needs of their clients and confuse them with all kinds of “technical” terms such as “chi”, “yin and yang”, “five phases”, “dragon at the left and tiger at the right”, with factors such as name, orientation, or hour, compelling clients to accept as neccessary absurd adjustments”

and … we live here? … time to move on … :laughing:

Bring back the footbridge that connected the station directly to the Asiaworld department store! I get claustrophobic in those crowded tunnels.

[quote=“chung”]
This is exactly why they should ditch the feng shui guru for a professional architect. Master Hun Yuan knows nothing about urban architecture nor the design requirements for a busy transportation hub. [/quote]

There were no architects involved in the design or the construction of the Taipei RR Station. It was a civil engineering project. One month before the opening, William Pai, head of the Taiwan Architect Association was given a tour.

[quote]
There were no architects involved in the design or the construction of the Taipei RR Station. It was a civil engineering project. One month before the opening, William Pai, head of the Taiwan Architect Association was given a tour.[/quote]

I know that CECI did most of the design work, yet there are also references to Sen Ju hai as the lead architect. Are you implying he didn’t have any role in the project or that he was not a member of the architect association?

[quote=“chung”]
I know that CECI did most of the design work, yet there are also references to Sen Ju hai as the lead architect. Are you implying he didn’t have any role in the project or that he was not a member of the architect association?[/quote]

I’m simply stating what the TAA said at the time. If Sen is a real architect, he’s a piss poor excuse. One can only wonder where or if he was actually trained as an architect. And did he really design it or did he simply put his name on the design? Two of the main complaints the TAA had were

(1) The station was already obsolete before it was ever constructed and would be unable to handle the passenger load on opening day.

(2) The location of the toilets. Anyone with common sense would know putting them down 2 flights of narrow stairs isn’t very good for the elderly, children, pregnant women or the disabled. Bai said the station was designed for KMT officials…not the people.

ecct.com.tw/euroview/issue83 … icle13.php