Your Top Ten Bob Dylan Songs are

Okay, it seems to be the season of the “Top Tens”, so since I want to know who other Forumosans are Dylan heads like myself and what their opinions are, I will bite and start another that is almost as gargantuan a task as the Beatles thread. What are your top ten Bob Dylan songs? Though I could probably do a top 25, mine (limiting myself to one per album) would start with:

Simple Twist of fate – Blood on the Tracks
The Groom’s Still Waiting at the Alter – B-side of a single 1981
Bob Dylan’s 115th Dream – Bringing it all Back Home
Corrine, Corrina - Freewheelin Bob Dylan
Make You Feel My Love - Time Out of Mind
Black Diamond Bay – Desire
Slow Train - Slow Train Coming
Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door - Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid soundtrack
All Along the Watchtower – John Wesley Harding
Forever Young - Planet Waves

Though, unlike the Zepplin, Beatles and (more or less) Show Tunes top ten threads, this one has the possibility of being added to in the future as Dylan is thankfully still putting out product.

No No No. Its an IMPOSSIBLE task.
Dylans work is too remarkable for a top ten.

I think I have some perrennial faves, but in no way do they reflect what I would consider to be his BEST.

1. Every grain of Sand - Shot of Love
  2. Abandoned love - Biograph
  3. Country Pie - Nashvile skyline
  4. Billy1 and also 7 - Pat Garret
  5. Dignity - Greatest Hits 3
  6. Lonesome whistle blues - unreleased
  7. Diamond Joe - Good as I been to you
  8. Positively 4th Street - Greatest Hits 1
  9. Cold Irons Bound - Time out of mind.
  10. Suze (Cough song) - Bootleg series.

Inter, you have some good choices, but ‘On a night like this’ is my fav from Planet Waves. The groom’s still waiting, is on Shot of Love. There is a different version lyrically, available on Ten of Swords, a very hard to come by release. And on “Slow Train” I love ‘gotta serve somebody’.

With the exception of “The spirit of Rock n roll” I would have to say every song by Dylan is a worthy song.

There are over 400 songs ‘officially’ released which can be easily bought. And probably another 100 which are considered ‘rare’ i.e. Thank God, City of Gold. It is an uncontainable subject. I have only been able to put down a few faves. My apologies for all the many i didnt mention.

Tangled up in Blue

My favorite performance of a Dylan song is Joe Cocker singing “I Shall Be Released.” Try to find it somewhere - it’s amazing.

Bob Dylan could sing ? :astonished:

The best Dylan cover-ers were the Byrds, IMAO, particularly their ringing version of “My Back Pages”.

You mean today?

This changes day to day for me, and it depends on which of his CDs hits the player on that particular day, at that particular time. Let

I like the song where he mumbles so much you can’t understand him. Oh that’s most of his songs.

“Early one morning the sun was rising, and I was still in bed…”

Tangled up in Blue.
Lily and the Jack of hearts
The Hurricane
Damn You Masters of War
Like a rolling Dofu…

This is too tough, It really depends on my mood.

Chou

Which Bob Dylan song are you?

Don't Think Twice

Personality Test Results

Click Here to Take This Quiz
Brought to you by YouThink.com quizzes and personality tests.

I really like the one that goes “something something something something,
Tweedly-Dum and Tweedley-Dee.”

Well, there’s more words than that, obviously. I think its on a very recent album, but I’d like to find out the name of it and buy it on the strength of that song alone, although the other tracks are also shit hot.

i’ll just give you my fav. dylan track of all time…“most of the time” as featured on the hi fidelity soundtrack (god i’m thick…i only just picked up on the pun in the title to that book/movie)

“Most of the time
My head is on straight,
Most of the time
I’m strong enough not to hate.
I don’t build up illusion 'till it makes me sick,
I ain’t afraid of confusion no matter how thick
I can smile in the face of mankind.
Don’t even remember what her lips felt like on mine
Most of the time.”

oh and fav. all time cover…shawn colvin doing “you’re gunna make me lonesome when you go” live (on the cover girl album but haven’t found it on kazaa)

EDIT: oh and fav. outtake…blind willie mctell…left off the infidels album; jeez the guy can afford to leave off a song anyone else would kill to have written…

“Well, God is in heaven
And we all want what’s his
But power and greed and corruptible seed
Seem to be all that there is
I’m gazing out the window
Of the St. James Hotel
And I know no one can sing the blues
Like Blind Willie McTell”

oh and fav. alternative version…you’re a big girl now…as included on biograph…listen to it after you’ve been dumped by the love of your life; but keep the kleenex handy

BTW if you want to search his back catalogue go straight to the horses mouth: bobdylan.com/songs/index.html

1 Like

sandman wrote:

[quote]I really like the one that goes “something something something something, Tweedly-Dum and Tweedley-Dee.”

Well, there’s more words than that, obviously. I think its on a very recent album, but I’d like to find out the name of it and buy it on the strength of that song alone, although the other tracks are also shit hot.[/quote]

The title is “Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum”, the first track from Dylan’s most recent release, “Love and Theft”. (It actually goes “Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum, something something something something", but I digress.)

Good taste sandman, one of my favorites off that CD also. For me “High Water” is the highlight of that album though.

Sorry to get back to the covers but . . . Hendrix doing All along the watchtower. Waasay!

Thinking of Blueface’s long ago move to Bali I’d add Shelter from the storm. Bastard! Almost did my damned head in.

Suddenly I turned around and she was standin’ there
With silver bracelets on her wrists and flowers in her hair.
She walked up to me so gracefully and took my crown of thorns.
“Come in,” she said, “I’ll give you shelter from the storm.”

HG

Top 11: :sunglasses:

Restless Farewell-The Times They Are A Changin’
Mississippi-Love and Theft
Dignity-Greatest Hits Vol. 3
Shooting Star-Oh Mercy
Visions of Johanna-Blonde on Blonde
Chimes of Freedom-Another Side of Bob Dylan
Desolation Row-Highway 61 Revisited
Jim Jones-Good As I Been To You
Every Grain of Sand-Shot of Love
Not Dark Yet-Time Out of Mind
Shelter From the Storm-Blood On the Tracks

love minus zero , no limit

positively 4th street

it’s all right ma, I’m only bleeding

idiot wind

tangled up in blue

buckets of rain

lay lady lay

i shall be free

1. Positively 4th Street
  2. Series of Dreams
  3. Standing in the Doorway
  4. Tight Connetion to my Heart
  5. Precious Angel
  6. Trying to get to Heaven
  7. My Back Pages (live version from his anniversary)
  8. Most of the Time
  9. Jokerman
  10. If not for you

and many others

I had the chance to see many Dylan songs performed by the Grateful Dead, and right before I came to Taiwan in 1994 I saw Dylan live in Saratoga NY.

Live Dylan: Tombstone Blues.

Dead Dylan Covers:

Tom Thumb’s Blues
Desolation Row
I Shall Be released: Garcia Band

…and Positively 4th Street by Jerry Garcia (the long version, almost 8 minutes) is great too !

Favorite Dylan songs? Just about any not sung by him.