Your view on avoiding Conscription

As most of us are presumably already aware then an overseas taiwanese who has dual nationality elsewhere can avoid conscription by leaving the country once every four months.

Should this be allowed, if a citizen wants to come back usually for financial gain so that they can obtain work, as well as participating in all aspects of Taiwanese life, why should they be allowed to be exempt from serving their military service as the ‘true’ locals are expected to.

Thoughts and comments please.

'Cuz, it means these guys are richer and better than the mere one-passport locals!

The guys I’ve met that do this are wimpy, spoiled babies.

I won’t let my kid serve in the Taiwanese military. He is Taiwanese and a New Zealander. Well, not let, is a little strong. I will let him be able to make his own choice but hope that he won’t serve.

The Taiwanese military is one of the most dangerous peace time armies in the world, in terms of accidents that is, not strength or power

[quote]I won’t let my kid serve in the Taiwanese military. He is Taiwanese and a New Zealander. Well, not let, is a little strong. I will let him be able to make his own choice but hope that he won’t serve.

The Taiwanese military is one of the most dangerous peace time armies in the world, in terms of accidents that is, not strength or power
[/quote]
I couldn’t agree with you more. I also agree that if they choose to be a citizen of this place they should pay the same price as everyone else.
The slave army of the Republic of China is totally useless in warfare, it has never achieved victory in war. The only purpose for conscription is to keep the old mainland generals in power.
Taiwan has less than six years to reform it’s military or face capitulation in the face of overwhelming force.
Somehow I think they will start conscripting the migrant workers before they allow that to happen.

[quote=“Flicka”]
The guys I’ve met that do this are wimpy, spoiled babies.[/quote]

That may be true, but if you were in their shoes and did not want to do military service, would you act differently if there was a legal way to avoid it? I agree that it’s not fair for the one passport guys and maybe the law should be changed. But, if I were a two passport guy, I’d probably do the same. Military life isn’t for me.

Guys, i accept that where available a legal loophole can and should be used, i suppose my real question is should it exist. Why should holders of two passports who have the same rights in Taiwan as those on one, avoid something their counterparts cannot ?

To me it is wrong, if a person can vote on an issue, then he should be forced to back up that vote with if necessary joining the forces voluntarily or not if circumstances required.

i dunno. taiwan is ready to boast of being a democracy when such suits it and then claims tradition when it suits it as well. ever hear of “equal treatment for all under the law”? let me know when women are required to spend two years of their lives wasting time defending a country that the upperclass has already sold out.

yes, the poor guys are getting the shaft. should this come as a surprise to anyone?