Your views on Racism in Taiwan

quote[quote] There seems to be some cofusion between racism and descrimination in this thread. [/quote]

Well my definition of ‘racism’ (without rushing off to the dictionary) would be ‘discrimination on the basis of race’. I guess other people would distinguish between racial discrimination and racism (with the latter perhaps including hatred), but I feel they’re much the same.

Anyway my take on racism in Taiwan is that it is similar to feelings towards gays. There’s a deeply ingrained kind of racism, but it’s different from the kind of racial hatred that is present in many other countries.

Bri

Clueless…that’s the best way I can describe a lot of you guys.

You are in Taiwan and working in a Taiwanese environment - work out how to adapt or go home! Talk to people, read articles, go out and eat with your colleagues, learn how it works…

It’s pretty damn easy…

One of the more informative and useful posts I’ve read on this board. Thanks, Taipeiwalker, for your deep insight and careful analysis. I can’t believe no-one else thought of that – adapt or go home! Truly the response of a giant of an intellect.

Dear Sandi
Thank you for your thoughtful and helpful reply.

I will take it to heart when i finally go back to finish my high school education. Perhaps then I can become a cultural anthropologist just like yourself…

Yes. Generally speaking Taiwanese discriminate by race. But I believe it comes from the Chinese penchant for pigeon-holing things so that they fit into a social norm. Eg., he’s a white american, therefore he likes coca-cola.

But hey! That’s just, like, my opinion dude. I’m sure you could add some sage pearls of wisdom…?

Once I called up a bushiban and asked them, in Chinese, if they had any openings. The lady told me they don’t hire ABCs. I told her I was white, and she said, “Then how come you can speak Chinese?”
Sure, people here are sometimes racist, but do like me and feel free to pound people in the head/give dirty looks each time you hear some stupid comment on the bus or subway. Besides, I think being white, we get a lot of special privileges and these make up for the occasional dickhead things people do here.

‘Racism’ and ‘terrorism’ are two of the most widely used words in public life today but it often seems to me they’re misapplied because people don’t have the same, clear grasp of their definitions in mind when they use them. The same event will clearly be racism to one person and clearly not to another. The person who is sure an act is ‘racist’ or ‘terrorist’ when it is being done to them often will vehemently deny it is racist or terrorist when they are doing the same thing to another person or group of people.

My point being that I think that when we’re discussing ‘racism’ or ‘terrorism’ our discussions may be inherently flawed because we may not even have the same concept in mind when we use the words.

Governments are the worst offenders because they often use bogus applications of ‘racism’ or ‘terrorism’ as justifications to commit acts of injustice. The PRC, for example, is right now using the events of 9/11 in the U.S. as justification for jailing and executing autonomy-seeking Uighurs in Xinjiang province.

But governments are, in the end, just made up of us so I always shudder a little inside whenever I hear debates get cranked up about these two potent issues. I figure there’s always a chance that someone somewhere downstream is going to end up being lynched because we’re just not clear enough on the concepts.

Okay, I’m done. I feel a little better now. I gotta go. The attendants have found me. Carry on.

These posts are redundant. Racism, bigotry, hatred, etc. exists in every country around the world, and it covers all boundaries: creed, color, religion, sexual orientation, short, tall, fat, handicapped, etc. etc. etc. What a shocker!!! Geez, I mean why is it so surprising that there’s racism in Taiwan, a country that’s like, what, 99% homogeneous people of Chinese descent. They’re not used to seeing caucazoids and africans and other races. At least racist people in Taiwan aren’t generally as violent as those in the U.S. and Europe, where you can get severely beaten up or killed for being different. There’s no KKK or neo-nazi-type hate groups running around here or elsewhere in Asia, at least that I’m aware of.

quote:
...work out how to adapt or go home!

This sort of bull-headed “logic” reminds me of the two-step theory to success.

1. Learn to play the guitar in two easy steps:
    STEP ONE: Buy a guitar.
    STEP TWO: Play it.

2. Get a Harvard degree in two easy steps:
    STEP ONE: Go to Harvard.
    STEP TWO: Graduate.

You get the picture.

That’s exactly what I did Crackpot and it’s a cinch!!