You're a western kid and you find it hard to understand your teacher in the listening test

That has to be some sketch. xD

Marasan gets it. The rest of you probably don’t.
There is somewhat of a problem the way respected, even senior Chinese Speaking English Teachers pronounce English. It’s even made worse when the teachers think they are trying to stress the words exact pronunciation but in fact make it less understandable or more ambiguous. My kid did an impression of the teacher and it sounded accurate.
If the native (Chinese Speaking) English teacher suspends his or her active involvement in English, that is return to Taiwan and stops using English as an everyday language, there is a slow drift or deterioration in my opinion into typical pronunciation errors. (strange vowel pronunciations, failure to pronounce end sounds and putting end sounds where there should be none.) I’m speaking in general here.
The weird thing is, I didn’t notice American teachers of French, Spanish or Italian making similar errors while teaching.
There is really no solution except to predict what the teacher is trying to say by picking up a pattern and guessing what the correct word will be.
Other than that, the student just has to suck it up and accept how it is.

So your kid’s teacher mispronounces those words when trying to make them more clear and different from each other, and your kid fails to apply logic. And still there’s the chance of the teacher having a different yet totally valid accent.

Is all correct?

Yet they were probably doing it.

The exam itself seems useless to me. In real life, if there is a possibility of confusion between similar sounding words, we figure it out from the context.

The exam should be about identifying word from given context, not relying on the accent/pronunciation.

Sorry, TBH I had to read this again because I’m afraid that it wasn’t super clear what you meant…

Do you mean that the correct answer, not your kid’s answer is “don’t touch that dock”? If that’s the case then I think I understand were you’re coming from a bit more.

the few points of each quiz or exam are such important for your kid’s current or future life? I mean to the extent that you consider to tell something to the teacher?

Add:
THIS is not A REPLY to MM.

1 Like

Sneaky @tando

Yes, but even in real life, sometimes there is no usable context.

“The password is dockdockdock123.” :duck: :duck: :duck: :ponder:

in that case, we use alpha beta charlie etc :slight_smile:

Like D for dock/duck?

I also thought it was beta. I wanted to look up the rest of the letters and realized it’s bravo.

Like O for Oscar or U for Uniform.

Sure, if you’re saying it, but what if someone else leaves a message on your voicemail, you can’t reach the person for clarification, and if you enter an incorrect password one more time the system will lock you out?