Youth Travel in Taiwan - Trial Tour Project for backpackers

Hi ,

I came across this news where the Govt is looking for foreigners for a trial tour project.

Youth Travel in Taiwan - Trial Tour Project

1. Background to the project:

(a.) This project is part of the Taiwanese government

[quote=“crazyazn”]Hi ,

I came across this news where the Govt is looking for foreigners for a trial tour project.

Youth Travel in Taiwan - Trial Tour Project

1. Background to the project:

(a.) This project is part of the Taiwanese government

One thing Taiwan needs is plenty of cheap dorms and hostels, like the ones available all over Southeast Asia. One thing that attracts backpackers is the opportunity to travel on a small budget.

There are more than most people think. Almost all the major places have dorms and/or campsites where you can rent tents.

Sorry people, I goofed :blush: I did not pay attention to the dates.
My Apologies :s

what does taiwan have to offer to the international tourist/backpacker compared to other places in asia?

there are many charming pretty places in taiwan but i do not think they compare to the grand majestic scenery in parts of china (yunnan, sichuan).

there is pretty coastline and a few decent beaches in taiwan but i do not think they compare to some of the beaches in SE Asia.

the aborginal presence in taiwan is also to be valued but from a traveler’s point of view, how can it compare to a place like tibet? and what is the taiwan equivalent to angkor wat, bagan, etc?

in sum, i think there are many reasons why taiwan has not developed into an international tourist mecca in the way the people at the MOT think it should. and i don’t see that changing.

You assume travelling is a zero sum game, and once you have experienced the best beach, or the coolest temple, that is it, you are satisfied and never want to see another. Travelling is like any other experience, you always wants something fresh.

Taiwan has great scenery, some wonderful temples, a vibrant religious culture (extremely vibrant I would say), some attractive beach areas, great museums, and a lot of fantastic hiking, and in the years to come, cycling too.

Taiwan should bill itself as the safe jungle nation. Not many places in Asia you can wander around sub-tropical forests with snakes and monkeys, and be perfectly safe from bandits and rebels. Or where you never see poverty or get hustled?

Taiwan is safe, prosperous, and exotic. It’s a great combo.

When the whole national trail system is up and well-marked and mapped the island will become a hotspot for hikers and backpackers like the west coast trail of Vancouver Island. Even now there are numerous two or three day hikes you can start from Taipei City itself on the MRT. From the Muzha MRT you can be on the trails to Shiding in a few minutes by taxi (or walk if you like). Hike to Shiding - 7-12 hours depending where you start. Stay a night then hike to Jingtong. Stay the night then walk along the 18km Pingxi rail line (one slow train an hour) to the end. Swim in a waterfall pool and then return to the city. The whole route and lots of other routes like this already exist. And more are being built like the old fish trail in Yangmingshan which will soon reach all the way to Jinshan on the coast.

You don’t think young travellers would be interested in such things? Multi-day hikes they could do themselves; swims in waterfall pools; temples and tea fields; water buffalo roaming freeing; hot springs, beaches?

I’ve met a number of visitors over the past year through the hiking club and they have all gone away with a great impression of Taiwan. This place is hideous if you end up in the wrong place. But astonishing in the right places. Same as anywhere else. One difference though is that even the hideous places are usually safe.

Taiwan, get lost safely. :slight_smile: