Youtube + Forumosa = Oops

Hey guys,

I don’t know if this is affecting anybody else but ever since the Youtube thingy has been embedded at the bottom-right of all Forumosa pages my browser (Opera) crashes with more than one tab open. There seems to be a memory leak in the flash player which isn’t Forumosa’s fault but it’s still a royal pain in the wazoo.

Also, if there’s a problem with Youtube it slows down the whole of Forumosa while my browser blocks new connections waiting to receive data for the Youtube flash player (even using IE).

I dunno, if nobody thinks they couldn’t possibly live without it could the embedded player thingie be removed from the site template?

Cheers!

Don’t have that problem, but there’s a big pause loading the front page while it gets data from spa.snap.com, whatever that is.

I’d like to keep it there as much as possible. Is this a relatively recent problem for you - because it has been down there for well over 6 months. This is the first report of it being a problem

I don’t use Opera, so it wasn’t tested there. As much as I like Opera and what those guys are doing, Opera isn’t used by a significant number of Forumosans (according to our Google Analytics). Heck, there are more Safari users than Opera users! This may sound discouraging. I hope we can find a fix to address the problem (maybe on www.phpbb.com ?), but at least you know where I’m coming from

Is your snap preview thingie switched on? If it’s off, maybe it will load faster

No probs here with Opera (latest version 9.20)

[quote=“Goose Egg”]I’d like to keep it there as much as possible. Is this a relatively recent problem for you - because it has been down there for well over 6 months. This is the first report of it being a problem

I don’t use Opera, so it wasn’t tested there. As much as I like Opera and what those guys are doing, Opera isn’t used by a significant number of Forumosans (according to our Google Analytics). Heck, there are more Safari users than Opera users! This may sound discouraging. I hope we can find a fix to address the problem (maybe on www.phpbb.com ?), but at least you know where I’m coming from[/quote]

The problem has been here for ages but I just put up with it before and tried to remember not to open any links in new tabs. I know there aren’t a lot of Opera users, but then how many people even use the Youtube thingie? :wink: I can’t say for sure that it’s the embedded Youtube player messing things up but when Opera kept crashing I fired up my debugger and tracked the problem down to object embedding (flash player etc.) and forumosa.com. I might just try updating flash player later or something.

I’m running Opera 9.20 on a English-language Win2K system but have not experienced this problem.

Is your snap preview thingie switched on? If it’s off, maybe it will load faster[/quote]

You’re lucky I so steadfastly refuse to read the rules, otherwise I’d be quoting them back at you now! I’m pretty sure you’re supposed to post in English though. Can you translate the first sentence into something I understand?