Youtuber addresses Korean critic of Taiwan

All Korean food is good. There was one time I which that’s pretty much most of what I ate (due to the fact that in Northern Virginia a couple were open 24-7, and I have sleep apnea so I eat at odd times).

The only weakness is a lack of variety.

Have you had Korean food in Taiwan? :grin:

I’ve got you beat. I lived there for 6 years. :sunglasses:

Yes, a few… and some are very, very good. But nothing I’ve had in Cali compares to the best Korean BBQ joints I’ve been to in Seoul.

Korean food is awful here. They screw it up even worse than they do Thai food. Out of about a dozen, I’ve only ever been to one place that I would say was as good as a place you’d find in Korea. And it shut down. :sob:

2 Likes

Not a contest, but I assume they took me to places they considered good. They were OK. Like I said before, I think the big difference was in the quality of the meat. All the chicken I had in Korea was horrible.

We definitely agree on this one.

2 Likes

:flushed:

Now I know you’re messing with me. Korean fried chicken is the best fried chicken in the world… blows Southern US style out the water imo.

They probably had bad taste (or cheap tastes). Meet me in Korea sometime… I’ll treat ya right :crazy_face:

1 Like

OK. Maybe you can show me where they hide the good beer too. :grin:

The beer scene was awful when I lived there (late 00s to early 10s), but I hear from my old buddies there that it’s improved a lot. A lot of new craft beer and tap houses. It’s slowly improving, kinda like Taiwan I guess. I’d say Itaewon would be the place to go, but I’m hearing it’s gentrified now lol

1 Like

Interesting. It was seedy af last time I was there.

1 Like

Me too. See my conversation with @wakethenight up thread.

This is Bobby Lee’s father’s hierarchy.

1. Koreans
  2. Japanese
  3. Chinese
  4. Snakes
  5. Mexicans

Does your father have a hierarchy?

2 Likes

It’s not offensive but I don’t see what’s so special about it either. I prefer Japanese BBQ.

On the stand-up comedian hierarchy, I’d rank Bobby Lee somewhere in the bottom 10 between Dane Cook and Amy Schumer.

Sorry you don’t like him. He speaks to my soul.

No. When I was in town, my cousin made an arrangement for us to eat at Kim Lee Park restaurant, because she knew what I liked. But I got sick.

Pigs are exceptionally affectionate toward humans and make a good pet. They are also extremely intelligent. Yet we all enjoy a good bacon sandwich.

I have no interest in eating dog but if it’s raised and killed humanely why can’t people eat it.

Korean food in Taiwan is almost all terrible. One notable exception is Sandy Yoon’s delectable bibimbap at her upscale cafe Sugar Pea.

Someone up thread mentioned Thai food. In my experience, it’s actually getting better as more Thai people are operating eateries. There are two such shops, for example, on or just off Tingzhou Road in Gongguan in Taipei (mixed in, it should be added, with heaps of lousy places too).

Guy

2 Likes

Names?

Linda Thai is the only good Thai food in all of Kaohsiung. It’s run by two Thai and it is DIRRRRTTTY. Like one of those eateries where you’re thankful the lights are always dim, so you don’t have to see possible cockroaches or rat droppings. But the food is great! By far, the best Thai food I’ve had here. Truly authentic fare. The other places like department store chains such as Thai Town :face_vomiting: suck. Clean, but soulless… and of course the dreaded “changed for Taiwanese taste-buds.”

Linda Thai is down the street (Chongsin road) from our HSR station. So if you’re in town, even for only a few hours, it’s quick and easy to get a bite there.

1 Like

The places I mentioned are eateries, and I am unsure they even have names.

One place you can try to find—it’s not difficult—is two storefronts away from the 50 Lan (50嵐) tea shop on Tingzhou Road in Gongguan in Taipei City. In a tiny space, a Thai woman prepares made-to-order papaya salad. The basic one will set you back NT$85 and is worth every dollar. In the winter, I heard, she’s planning on making tom yam goong.

Guy

1 Like