🥾 ⛰ Yushan | Climbing Yushan (Jade Mountain)

Given the timeline…looking at how long it took them to Paiyun cabin, this was never going to end well.

It took them 10 hours to get to Paiyun cabin from the entrance.
They left after another 2 hours. So 12 hours to get to Paiyun and then leave Paiyun and head off in the dark.

As a professional guide you have to prioritize lives over money. I’d rather get bitched at by 6 people than be responsible for 6 people’s death and have my face blasted over the news and internet on top of whatever punishments that follow.

The ladies were not physically fit to say the least, but the guide has to make a decision to turn back, not just keep pushing it and then ditch them half way down the mountain.

That is beyond unfit, are some of those 6 women injured or something?

The Taiwan subreddit also has a thread about this news too. Just saw someone comment and share this article from May that provides some more info that recent articles don’t seem to mention.

The group, 6 mothers, seem to do hiking in Taipei (郊山). It took them about 5-6 hours to just to go 2.4km where they ended up illegally camping. Some people were going very slow because knees and feet hurt. The last day many of them didn’t have warm clothes or headlights. In the morning they were given to the leader? to help take down the mountain and lighten their load. The guide didn’t come back for them as we already know.

The leader says he didn’t abandon them. Also comments that none of the ladies had experience hiking a big mountain. He also says that the first day they set off later because some wanted to get a full rest/sleep. It took them nearly double the usual time to arrive at Paiyun and the leader also says one of the ladies has a fear of heights so things went even slower.

As for the illegal camping part…he says it was an emergency measure. He also didn’t expect even on downhill slope that the ladies would walk so slow. On the way down the mountain he says he had agreed with 4 members to try and go down first and catch the last shuttle bus as the last one is at 7pm.

1 Like

That’s quite interesting - the second article. So clearly if you’re fast just depart at Paiyun at 5PM to have sunset at Yushan then walk back down would not be a problem as this 12:00 rule is not really legally binding / no one can enforce it. Better of course camp higher up if you want to have Yushan for sunset. Seen quite a few people going to Yushan for sunset but all camping at the high camp/hut.

And yeah - seems like a loophole to stay you sleep higher up then actually end up at Paiyun. They mention a fine - wonder how high.

But basically with the group being so slow - he should have turned around 4 hours in and walk back to Dongpu. Cause even very likely there are empty spots at Paiyun - there speed is so slow that this group cannot make it in 2 days to Yushan and back down. They are part of the super slow needing a full day to Paiyun - then full day Yushan return to Paiyun - then back down again a full day. Need to win the lottery for accomdation for that of course (Dongpu usually has enough space).

And yeah as a group leader if it’s not setting up tents or similar you need to stay behind and stay with the slowest people - telling quicker people to walk up front to catch the shuttle. Then if you miss transport/need another day bill it on the clients.

Another alternative if only a few people are super slow is to tell them 2 hours in I will walk back with Persons XYZ - rest continues - then we meet at the campsite later. That’s quite a sensible approach but would be forbidden with the stupid hiking rules.

And yeah quite a few people in Taiwan hiking are beyond unfit. It’s crazy they intend to go to some places… I mean even the signs usually indicates times for beyond unfit people. I had signposts telling 12 hours and walked (not trailrunning) with my girlfriend in 4 hours. Trailrunning full speed would have been 2 hours…

But then I’ve seen some beyond unfit people at Everest basecamp. Everest Basecamp trek is like the epitome of destinations for unfit people. Most of them then decide to take a helicopter down… (and EBC is like the worst trek of Nepal IMHO - totally worthless tourist trap hiking up a “motorway” to see a stupid rock with graffiti spray calling it Everest Base Camp constantly passed by helicopters and walking in cowshit all the way. Nepal has great trekking - but EBC is a rubbish bin.

A brilliant write-up in yesterday’s Taipei Times about how to walk from the plains of Kaohsiung to the peak of Yushan. This is an insanely hardcore hike! :wow:

Guy

2 Likes

How long and how many the selfie stops?

1 Like

I think it’s a Japanese hiking channel, and they were invited to make a video summiting Patungkuonʉ.