Zain Dean conviction--fatal hit & run case PART II

It might be “understood” by him and his business interests that not saying anything would be more conducive. :whistle:

Yes, I can’t find a judgment either at the high court. Maybe the result has just been announced?

No doubting. Just think this would be very interesting news indeed. Especially given the police suppression of video evidence in the Makiyo case.

taipeitimes.com/News/front/a … 2003525256

[quote=“Feiren”]Yes, I can’t find a judgment either at the high court. Maybe the result has just been announced?

No doubting. Just think this would be very interesting news indeed. Especially given the police suppression of video evidence in the Makiyo case.

taipeitimes.com/News/front/a … 2003525256[/quote]

The judge says is said to have said he is guilty according to this, which may or may not be true: thewildeast.net/2011/03/wors … 99s-trial/

It’s on appeal. Stop speculating. :unamused:

The last I heard was that the prosecution still had zero evidence to support their claim that Zane was the driver. Very interested to see how the appeal turns out.

You cannot SERIOUSLY be citing the Wild East blog as ANYTHING approaching journalistic integrity? Really. REALLY? My GOD! :astonished: :astonished: :astonished:

It’s not a blog. It’s a venerable online publication.

Isn’t one of the main authors of the Wild East a close personal friend of Mr. Dean?

It’s not a blog. It’s a venerable online publication.[/quote]
Oops! Been a long time since I looked. I thought it was a blog. Apologies.

This from the ICRT News Team ‏@ICRTNews Twitter feed (Jul 26): The Taiwan High Court has sentenced Zain Dean, whose car hit a local newspaper boy and killed him in March 2010, to 4 years of imprisonment.
That’s an increase from the original 2.5yr sentence, and after he’s served his sentence he’ll be deported from Taiwan. He has the right to appeal. For more information in Chinese see [button]here,http://www.appledaily.com.tw/realtimenews/article/local/20120726/134298[/button]and [button]here,http://udn.com/news/SOCIETY/SOC6/7253154.shtml[/button].

They should add a further 3 years for infringing on Microsoft licences with no right of appeal, because the two cases are like, related.

Wow. Bummer. Expect a further appeal.

This is his first trial, right? He has another two to go, plus final appeals. Doesn’t he? Or is it “different for foreigners?”

[quote=“Priest”]This from the ICRT News Team ‏@ICRTNews Twitter feed (Jul 26): The Taiwan High Court has sentenced Zain Dean, whose car hit a local newspaper boy and killed him in March 2010, to 4 years of imprisonment.
That’s an increase from the original 2.5yr sentence, and after he’s served his sentence he’ll be deported from Taiwan. He has the right to appeal. For more information in Chinese see [button]here,http://www.appledaily.com.tw/realtimenews/article/local/20120726/134298[/button]and [button]here,http://udn.com/news/SOCIETY/SOC6/7253154.shtml[/button].[/quote]

This was news from a couple of weeks ago. Don’t get it :ponder: .

Huh, this is his second trial. He will have to appeal to the Supreme Court for his third trial.

This case was the first appeal. And he got +1.5 years. A second appeal is really unlikely unless there’s a legal or procedural issue that Dean’s lawyer’s can successfully argue (because the Supreme Court won’t admit new evidence or testimony).

Yes - I think the next step is the Supreme court. As far as I understand, minor cases can not be heard after the first appeal. Larger cases such as this can go to the Supreme Court as Monkey specifies. He’ll need a fucking good lawyer though.

I think that’s probably true from a legal perspective, but from a practical standpoint – If you’d been convicted and sentenced to 2.5 years in prison, then the decision was appealed and increased to 4 years, wouldn’t YOU file every possible appeal and argue everything you possibly could to reverse or throw out the damn thing (biased judge, incompetent counsel, procedural errors, lack of due process, changed circumstances, it’s just not fair, etc)? I would.

Both those news reports say there is video evidence showing the Zain was the driver. Whether or not this is true, I don’t know, but just saying…

Where? I didn’t see anything in the first article, unless you mean the night club’s video of their employee returning.