Zain Dean conviction--fatal hit & run case PART IV

So is this an indicator that they will also uphold the extradition, or is this instead of the extradition?

Hard to say if this has an impact on the extradition case, however the latter is still ongoing.

Seems fairly logical to think that if the fine/penalty has been upheld, extradition would be a similar story, no?

Well, logically yes, I would think. Lets see what the Scottish judge says.

The Scottish judge says he can be extradited to Taiwan.

chinatimes.com/realtimenews/ … 852-260408

According to the article, the Ministry of Justice in Scotland has eight weeks to decide whether or not to extradite him and he can appeal that decision.

I just saw this on the news and it was reported on a local Chinese station that it’s a done deal, Zain Dean is going to be brought back.

Could be that the local news didn’t understand the opinion or it could be that his appeal is not likely to take hold.

Yep. They even quoted president Ma. Game over or misunderstanding?

According to one article, unless there’s a mistake in the judge’s ruling, the appeal is unlikely to go through.

Well that is a victory. He should be brought back to serve his time. And maybe as punishment, time served elsewhere NOT to count?

And then booted out for life.

The delivery man is still dead though. And I doubt Dean has a whole lot more then bus fare.

The tW govt will have to give the delivery man’s family some money, a couple million NTD or something , just for goodwill.

I still don’t know why his friend even helped him in the first place. Like helping a fugitive escape? Who would’ve thought that was a good idea?

Probably some money was involved…

I’m still surprised…of all the convicted fugitives Taiwan has out there…this is the one they really go after. Or maybe I’m not.

If I understood the statement last night, it can still take several months to several years to have him extradited. So, the fat lady has not sung yet, even if there is a concrete step in that direction.

Are you really? Have you taken a moment to ponder the seriousness of what this person has done? And please don’t continue with that “he’s innocent” nonsense. He’s had two trials which were monitored by the UK representative office. Not a peep out of them or any human rights organization. The UK then signs an agreement to extradite, enforces the civil judgment and now Dean has been ordered extradited. That says a lot. No one has offered any reason to believe he’s innocent, apart from unproven, blanket statements about supposed corruption or gangster KTVs. There’s been no concrete evidence offered to substantiate any of these claims from Dean and his supporters, but we’re all just supposed to believe it.

Fact is, he drove drunk, hit someone, fled the scene and left that person to die. Afterwards denied everything and left the country to avoid his sentence, leaving his friends to face the music. The mere existence of other fugitives does not make it somehow unacceptable for Taiwan to pursue this particular one.

But he’s going to release that video evidence he was going on about some time ago. Any day now… :laughing:

Yes there are other fugitives but a lack of diplomatic ties and extradition agreement makes things hard. For example, Taiwanese with US citizenship feeling from justice… but if the case is serious enough something could work out. Until now they really have no legal way of extraditing fugitives.

Elegua is correct. Regardless of whether he is guilty or not, there are still several high profile killers, fraudsters, gangsters and general criminals on the run in certain countries and Taiwan knows where they are - one of them has even returned to Taiwan to try his hand at politics - and yet they go after Zain Dean. Nice to know Taiwan has it’s priorities correct when chasing down fugitives.

Attacking the credibility of the Taiwan court system isn’t really a defense for a crime, the trial/extradition hearing is about whether or not he is guilty and if extradition is justified. Taiwan court system may be flawed but I think the courts in Scotland is more interested in whether or not he got a fair trial in his case, not whether or not others had a fair trial. Also if he wants to complain about the condition of the prison in Taiwan he should have thought of that before he did the crime.

Also if you think Taiwan’s court system is so flawed then who’s to say if those fugitives that Taiwan refused to go after were actually guilty of the crime they were convicted of or if they were just a scapegoat?

Taiwans most famous outlaw armed dealer is most likely living in London where his daughter runs a PR company. So they have an extradition agreement, it’s enforceable, why don’t they extradite him?

He is wanted in connection with massive bribes and a murder of a navy officer.

Because he is Taiwanese, or rather, a son of the Yellow Emperor. Not the same as atoga.

Meaning lot less political fallout.

Yeah white wolf is ‘out on bail’ but allowed to run his own political party (supported by PRC) and hold protests shown in national media surrounded by black suited thugs.