Zain Dean conviction--fatal hit & run case PART IV

Well the court seems to think it’s a big problem otherwise they would have sent Dean’s ass back here.

Taiwan’s prison conditions are not to European standards that’s a fact. Prisoners sleep in the floor together , I recall four or eight could be in a cell (some places have 20 people to a cell supposedly), with no proper separation from the toilet and very little outdoor time. It is indeed hard time and not in a good way. Just because you claim that the prison conditions here somehow match European standard doesn’t make it so.

You seem very prejudiced yourself inferring the thoughts behind the judges decision. May I remind you it is the media in Taiwan who use such prejudiced and racially charged language all the time!

This (and lack of jury trials) counts toward my insistence that Taiwan is not yet a first-world country.

Major slap down to Taiwans justice system.

http://www.scottishlegal.com/2016/09/28/british-businessman-found-guilty-of-negligent-manslaughter-in-taiwan-wins-human-rights-appeal-to-stay-in-scotland/

Serious egg on face from justice at all costs brigade.

'In a written opinion, Lady Paton said: “I am satisfied beyond reasonable doubt on corroborated evidence that the main detention building in Taipei prison suffers from gross overcrowding, significant understaffing, problems of unchecked and uncontrolled abuse and bullying of weaker prisoners, inadequate ventilation and toilet facilities, and inadequate opportunities for prisoners to exercise in the open air.

“Further I am satisfied beyond reasonable doubt on corroborated evidence that the appellant and his past offending behaviour have received such widespread adverse publicity in Taiwan that he is at particular risk of being the focus of hostility from prisoners within the prison.”

She added: “I am satisfied that substantial grounds have been made out for believing that, even if all the undertakings and special conditions were to be fulfilled, there remains a real risk of treatment of the appellant incompatible with his human rights in terms of article 3 of the European Convention on Human Rights. Accordingly the appellant’s extradition to serve his sentence in Taipei prison would not, in my opinion, be compatible with the Convention.’

Well they found the complaint of criminal offense lodged by Taiwan of sufficient merit to hold him in detention for a period roughly similar to his Taiwan sentence

Thus justice is served

To send him back to Taiwan brought up too many other legalities and other considerations that would have dragged the case on and on

He served and thus should be freed

He ended up serving 3 years behind bars anyway, which is longer than his initial sentence. (The 4-year sentence was given after his appeal. I find this to be a miscarriage of justice: appeals should not be allowed to result in increased penalties.)

The Taiwan system has a double or quits mentality, i.e. you want to roll the dice again and challenge the ruling, you better have a damm good reason for doing so or you will serve more time as a consequence.

Prosecutors can keep appealing almost infinitely, at least until recently. Hsinchr trio is a famous
Example. Also no jury trials. It’s not a good system.

New trials have started in the UK. James Wolffe, Lord Advocate of Scotland, apparently found that the High Court of Justiciary’s verdict of not extraditing Mr. Dean back to Taiwan unacceptable, and started a new round of trials.

This case just runs and runs…

I like it, it’s like a classic Twilight Zone episode, where the bad guy gets away with it…

Or does he???

This is so screwed up. Especially since Taiwan harbours people such as this asshat:

https://taiwanease.com/en/forums/warning-convicted-sex-offender-wesley-lu-looking-for-work-in-taipei-area-t14147.html

There is a 1.5 million dollar US bounty on this gent and yet Taiwan refuses to hand him over. And they get angry when other countries don`t play ball. :joy:

Don’t forget insisting that any Taiwan nationals pinched in other countries be immediately repatriated…

That dude obviously has some pull. That kind of info should be news, yet there is absolutely no report on the subject from any Taiwanese media, especially not in Mandarin. There’s not even a way to identify the dude’s Chinese name.

What blows me away is that there has not been any kindy-teaching bounty hunters going after him…think about it…hire a boat, sail the twit to Guam and fly him back to Seattle, get 1.5 million…that is a lot of kindy classes one would not need to teach!!!

Here’s a recent Liberty Times article on the Zain Dean case:

It could also be jailtime when you are done for kidnapping.

Yeah, in Taiwan. The US would not see it that way. I guess that is the risk for people considering bounty hunting.

But would Taiwan authorities be willing to charge someone with kidnapping a person to return them to a jurisdiction (a jurisdiction that has pledged to protect Taiwan in certain circumstances) that has a 1.5 million reward for the capture of the criminal? I doubt it because any arrest would be front news and would put Taiwan in a very negative light.

It’s all that weird emphasis that the culture places on contrition. It’s like no crime is too great…as long as you’re really really sorry you did it. Kind of like Catholicism.

TAiwan wants its crims back but wont give up its crims.

Shouldn’t they sign some sort of treaty regarding this?

(regarding Wesley)

As for Zain. So he’s up for a new trial of some sort? NO double jeopardy in the UK then?

And would he be imprisoned while waiting for this new trial or only subject to notice for court appearance.
And I suppose like other Brits not working he has been provided a monthly stipend?

Many Brits don’t work or want to work as they can live ok with their govt stipend .

any link for the 1.5M us$ reward???
i can’t find it on the net