Zain Dean conviction--fatal hit & run case PART IV

I don’t know Mr. Dean. I don’t think I’ve ever met him. So in the past, when people have disparaged his character without going into detail (I’m referring to the kinds of characterizations that don’t seem to refer specifically to his escape, which I consider to be a separate issue), not having the specifics, I don’t know what to make of those kinds of remarks.

But to me, as a criminal matter–that is, as a matter that involves police and courts–the thing seems to have sort of got started off on the wrong foot, and stayed that way:

A Personal Statement from Zain Dean

I don’t know if the scene depicted in the video linked below is the scene, or part of the scene described above, but in any case, for me it serves to illustrate the above account (I could not get the video to work using Chrome or Firefox, but it worked for me in Internet Explorer–in that browser, I played it by clicking the button that says “播放”):

http://dava.ncl.edu.tw/MetadataInfo.aspx?funtype=0&id=534624

A side note: If you can get the video to work, then about two thirds of the way through it, you should be able to see a still image of a person who does not look much like Zain Dean, or at least, not like the Zain Dean under discussion.

1 Like

Dean should not have been allowed to be attacked while under the cAre of the police and even less so his wife. If in fact that occurred.

The death was an accident.

I think the Taiwan court is still after him because his escape made the tw govt lose face.

But since Dean under his new name is out on bail and presumably is allowed to function in society. Not sure if he has the freedom of travel.

Eventually the Scottish court may release him for time served. And the only thing is that he can’t return to the rock. Because the chArge remains on the books.

I think he has been punished and should be released.

And at this stage if the tw govt wants to gain face it would be more magnanimous for the tw court to retry the case , sentence him to time served and the chArge of escApe also sentenced to time served.

Nice guy or dodgy ( I’m thinking dodgy) the crime of manslaughter carries only six months to two years in most cases in Taiwan

Dean has served that.

And in fact let him back if he wants to return.

Will show the world that the TW govt and people are not monsters.

1 Like

I think tommy525 should be allowed to return and live on his “Rock” as a citizen if he wants to. :slight_smile:

1 Like

yeah, would be quite interesting to hear some of those who have met him to share some details. it’s easy to call someone a big stinky pile of poo but you have to explain it.

i know there’s that weirdest foreigner in tw thread. maybe you could give us a hint which posts might relate to him;)

I don’t know of anything in that thread that relates to Zain Dean.

Anyway, I’m afraid to post anything in that thread, because after reading some of my posts, some people may have “see[n] [my] brains” and come to think I’m the weirdest foreigner in Taiwan.

1 Like

They ought to try seeing a few more brains (mine included) before jumping to a conclusion like that. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

The time should fit the crime and not the persona.
A micky burger should cost the same to a Prince as to a pauper. Understanding of course that the real cost may differ here as the prince is likely to be richer.

Now an upgrade to business class can be selective

i don’t care about the hit&run. whether he did it or not, i’m not in a position to judge that. and as many have states before, by tw law standards, he’d done the standard time long ago. whether that is just is another question.

i’m just curious why quite a few users here who knew him first hand are so negative about him.

This is an unfortunate reality of Taiwan’s legal system for locals and foreigners alike. America has the perp walk, Taiwan has the “perp attack.”

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2018/07/26/2003697403

Sentences are getting stiffer for drunk driving causing deaths this woman deserved all of her jail time

4 Likes

yeah and random testing is increasing. Seeing a lot of people being grabbed by the cops.

I remember that one. To me it feels driving in Taiwan has become safer in the last few years. It might just be me adapting though.

“In June 2016, Yen was again arrested for drunk drinking

Tough laws uh

1 Like

Hopefully she will actually do the time now and not get off with paying her way out. She still hasn’t compensated the previous victims of her drink driving.

probably spent all her money on alcohol.

“Yen left the scene of the accident and when found, tried to cover up her crime, insisting that someone else was driving and that she was in the passenger seat.”

Gee, this sound familiar to anyone?

At least she didn’t have the car carted off to the wreckers yard the next morning.

Meanwhile, not mentioning any names, a number of ZDs friends are still maintaining his innocence on other Taiwanese social media.

1 Like

From his own statement very shortly after.

I mean, the nerve of them to suggest such a thing!

1 Like

Nice piece of fiction isn’t it?

I admit I didn’t follow the whole ordeal closely through the years, but yes… pretty silly.

Good.

When we talked about social issues in Taiwan in my class, drunk driving was second only behind the shitty job market. Tired of seeing assholes in their economy model BMWs screech past red lights thinking they’re hot shit while I’m trying to push my daughter in her stroller across the street.

3 Likes