Zhu Geliang

Funny watching him on TV tonight, old as hell now and couldn’t be the total wiseass he was back then but still hasn’t totally lost it. Yu Tian and his wife–quote “I thought you were dead”–came out, hehe, hoping to seeing some more of the old crew on there.

How is it that I suddenly see him everywhere: TV, ads, newspapers, etc.? He hadn’t been around for years.

Who are these people? I never heard of them.

Horrible soap opera, has been playing for months now on TV news -competes with Chen’s in the rummor, made-for-TV “news flashes” and about same “quality” reporting. For instance, now the press is after his daughter -left to fend for herself since young- because she has a love child 12 years old… the want to know who’s teh father -or rather, fill up time especulating who is/could be the one.

Zhue Ge Lian was on the run from gambling debts for how long? 20 years? Finally made up with the gansgter he owed money to on TV. How much pathetic how can you get?! Sightings of him were reported as if he was Elvis…

About 10 years or so I guess. He was the big TV host star of the time, like Hu Gua and the rest of these guys now rolled up into one in terms of popularity. Way funnier than any of them too. So coming back is big news from a media standpoint. If you ever flipped the channels on cable 15 years or so ago you couldn’t have missed him.

[quote=“Icon”]
Zhue Ge Lian was on the run from gambling debts for how long? 20 years? Finally made up with the gansgter he owed money to on TV. How much pathetic how can you get?! Sightings of him were reported as if he was Elvis…[/quote]
Almost. He had huge gambling debts he couldn’t pay off and was in hiding for all time. I think he finally got fed up with hiding. Through some intermediary he negotiated with his creditors to make a public comeback if someone would put up a lump sum to guarantee he would pay off those debts. Someone did, and he’s back.
Kinda amusing to see his old schtick again, even if I never did think it was that funny.

He looks like Ken Dodd.

Yep. They were talking about the daughter-father relationship. They’ve been stranded for quite a while. A “friend” said the girl took a plane to Kaohsiung and the flight attendant told her: oh, your father took this plane to Taipei just before. So, deadpan, the girl replies: if you see him, tell him I’ve been looking for him.

I just can’t stand that people like this guy and the woman who abandoned her child who was found wwondering around in a supermarket become such fussed over celebrities.

Spot on. He also made a series of films in which he always played a hick from down south in the big city. His nightclub act was extremely raunchy–there are some VCDs floating around then. Far and away more talented than anyone else on Taiwanese TV. I think he rarely speaks Mandarin which was one reason he is less well known to foreigners. Although his Prince Valiant bowl cut was pretty distinctive.

He apparently spent ten years on the run living incognito as the caretaker of a temple somewhere down in Pingtung.

OK. Bowl cut. I remember seeing him touting athlete’s foot cream or mosquito bite ointment or somesuch once. So he was an actual TV star, eh? Thank Christ I don’t watch TV, is all I can say.

[quote=“redwagon”][quote=“Icon”]
Zhue Ge Lian was on the run from gambling debts for how long? 20 years? Finally made up with the gansgter he owed money to on TV. How much pathetic how can you get?! Sightings of him were reported as if he was Elvis…[/quote]
Almost. He had huge gambling debts he couldn’t pay off and was in hiding for all time. I think he finally got fed up with hiding.[/quote]
It would be easy for him to hide: just take his wig off and nobody would recognize him.

That was a wig?

Given his age, I can’t imagine it being anything but.