Zika virus

[quote=“Icon”]

Talking about DDT and similar poisons: a new theory proposes it is a larvicide the one responsible for the microencephalic babies: theecologist.org/News/news_a … phaly.html

Now that would be ironic… But not totally unexpected. As said, Latin America has a long, dark history with these insecticides. And in developing countries, anything goes.[/quote]

That’s interesting. Sounds plausible.

They are also trying to use genetic modified mosquitoes to reduce the Aedes aegypti population. The results are promising, but the effectiveness of such technique is still unsure. It’s possible that it could kill 80 percent of Aedes aegypti mosquitoes but the remaining 20 percent would still be enough to sustain an outbreak.

Some countries may want to consider bringing the DDT back for more selective indoor use, where the drawbacks are smaller. It’s important to note that “smaller” doesn’t mean “none”.

Right now the best strategies involve trying to avoid contact by using repellent, wear long sleeves, and use window screens.

http://www.vox.com/2016/2/16/11022156/zika-virus-genetically-modified-mosquitoes

Is it possible that chemical warfare on mosquitoes is the main culprit to begin with?

http://naturalsociety.com/blame-monsanto-insecticide-pyriporxyfen-68559/#ixzz40LukD1bQ

Icon linked to such a story a bit above, and it’s getting a lot of press, but it seems there’s a lot against the possibility:

cbsnews.com/news/health-expe … rocephaly/

There was no need to find a vaccine for SARS, Chicken Flu, the Pig Virus, or any of the other mysterious viruses that have emerged in the media year after year. Why would one need a vaccine, or a ‘cure’ for this one?

Hopefully it will go away quietly without too many lives being lost.

Have you not heard about the birth defects associated with it CP? That’s the big issue here, and though I hope I’m wrong, there are indications that the cases of microcephaly are just the beginning.

Of course I heard about those things. I’m just saying that every year we have a new virus to fear, and the same race to find a cure and a vaccine for it.

The science is unclear, and at such times, the medicine can be dangerous.

[quote=“Tempo Gain”]Icon linked to such a story a bit above, and it’s getting a lot of press, but it seems there’s a lot against the possibility:

cbsnews.com/news/health-expe … rocephaly/[/quote]

That’s good enough for me. Correlations are not science anyway… :ponder:

Based on the implications of the birth defects, this is not a typical virus scare. They have to be looking for a vaccine as soon as possible.

Every new virus is Atypical by nature.

The novel virus is typical of our time.

Racing for vaccines to inject into people as soon as possible is a dangerous game.

Do you want to play?

Who will you inject first?

I’m not planning on having any babies, I’m not concerned.

Having said that, to my way of thinking, “as soon as possible” does not imply cutting any corners on the processes that are standard for introducing the many vaccines that are safely used today–though risk is always part of the equation. Balancing that risk is something that doctors and health officials are going to have to figure out–key word here is “have to.”

Zika virus: 2.2 billion people in ‘at risk’ areas
bbc.com/news/health-36090650

Zika has made its way to Miami Beach, and new York; hence, magnifying the potential for spread.

Another imported Zika case has been confirmed in less than a week in Taiwan. The island country’s Centers for Disease Control announced Wednesday that a 44-year-old woman, a New Taipei City resident, had visited Broward and Miami-Dade Counties of Florida on a business trip from July 31 to August 11, 2016. The case was also known as the first Zika case globally exported from Miami.

Supposedly Zina has been circulating in Africa for decades and the pacific islands for sometime.
One theory is it’s spreading so quickly in the americas due to lack of immunity.
This is a major health issue if becomes an epidemic in Taiwan, VERY concerning for anybody thinking of having kids and those that could accidentally conceive. Somebody could become pregnant and then the virus becomes epidemic mid way through the pregnancy.

How long as women supposed to refrain from becoming pregnant?
Also as mentioned earlier its sexually transmitted in some cases.

This has a larger societal impact than dengue for sure. It does not inspire a lot of confidence given the issues we saw with dengue control last year.

Local transmission is now occurring in Singapore, 41 positive cases detected.

Great. As if we didn’t have enough killer viruses on our minds. :neutral_face:

1 Like

Man what the fuck! We don’t need this shit right now!

2 Likes

Well, diseases do not take turns. As the heat increases, so does zika, dengue, malaria… As schools open up, we get measles, chicken pox, and the ever popular norovirus, enterovirus, etc

1 Like

So many babies ended up with microcephaly due to Zika. I wonder how they’re all doing now.