Zimbabwe defends trading captured wild elephants to China

Horrible, selling baby elephants from the wild to a lifetime of captivity.

If there would be elephant firms, selling baby elephants could be accepted by western countries?

May not be a bad thing. When Zimbabwe has wiped out all its wildlife, at least there will be a gene bank elsewhere.

1 Like

so how much is an elephant on the Zimbabwe market, like Z$1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000, give or take a few Zim dollars

4 Likes

And not regular, cheap elephants but wide ones.

I think they cull them don’t they? Thousands have been culled in South Africa and other areas. Death does seem the better choice than a Chinese zoo, anything but a Chinese zoo

Thats where the west got it all wrong in africa up through southern europe/asia
They tried the moral game and killed people who dont like it (western morals) Whereas china pays them by the truckload of cash and makes them die via starvation/financial suicide if they dont keep up.

I only hope we can manage maintaining even just 10% of our natural habitat and species by the time china either plays nice or dies off. None of those 3 options seem likely :frowning: looking back, always being taught that the american/western style was destroying the earth. I sort of wish we could go back to those times. Give them poor elephants a breakable cyanide tusk so they can end the misery while en route in a container.

1 Like

Disgusting stuff.

Interesting.

yeah well, what can you say. it is actually an improvement from Zim.

but that’s starting from zero.

you should read a book from a long term African correspondent from Poland:

Ryszard Kapuscinski

The Shadow of the Sun

Amazing insight. I lived in Africa for ten years and later spent two years travelling through it. His words ring true indeed.

1 Like