Zizek v Peterson Embarrassment

So:
A believes in god
B believes in the absence of god?

More like:
A does not believe in God
B believes thereā€™s no God
Is A and B the same thing?

I think theyā€™re basically equivalent if we have a fixed and clear definition of something. The problem here is that ā€œbelieve there is no godā€ could either refer to one particular god which a theist has defined, or the set of all possible gods. Iā€™ll happily agree to the first one (so far at least, willing to listen) but the latter is an impossibility. I donā€™t have the knowledge to rule out every possibility we might think of as a god. Iā€™m only aware of gods from peopleā€™s claims, and I think itā€™s more accurate to say that I donā€™t believe those claims.

1 Like

Right, this is the old ā€œwhat shape does your god take?ā€ kind of question. Where the word ā€œgodā€ becomes a semantic discussion.

The universe is vast and much is unknown or outside of our understanding, the idea their may be sentient forms of life that are beyond our understanding or capability to comprehend and may be defined in some form or another as god like. I donā€™t think can be ruled out, but by the same notion I donā€™t see evidence for an existence either. Which leads to the question of ā€œhow do you prove a negative?ā€.

One can be open minded yet base their reality on what they can perceive without leaps of faith based on no evidence whatsoever.

2 Likes

In my understanding, there lies the distinction between an atheist and an agnostic.
Atheistic do not hold a belief in the existence of any deity.
Agnostic claim that the existence of a deity is either unknowable in principle or currently unknown in fact.

In other words, an atheist believes in the absence of God, while an agnostic has absence of belief in God (or any deity presented by any religion to this day).
But thatā€™s my understanding, which could be wrong, hence the poll above.

1 Like

If you all accepted acintyabedhabedha (simultaneous difference and non-difference), you wouldnā€™t ask (yes / no) questions like that.

Professed agnostics would probably be okay with that, but most professed atheists wouldnā€™t agree. You say thereā€™s a god. I really donā€™t believe in that god. That makes me an atheist with respect to that god, and by extension, in general. There are a lot of things about the cosmos I donā€™t and probably canā€™t know, and Iā€™m agnostic to that degree. People often use the term ā€œstrong atheistā€ to describe the ā€œthere are no godsā€ position.

Honestly, do you think everything that comes out of Petersonā€™s mouth is going to be life changing and extremely profound? He has had some sub par interviews, talks and debates. The first Peterson and Sam Harris one was not so great. They just werenā€™t on the same page and were not vibing. Sometimes it just isnā€™t there. Even Kobe and Jordan had sub par games.

I donā€™t envy the microscopic scrutiny placed on Petersonā€™s words. People try so hard to take him down, they straw man him over and over again like the Kathy Newman interview. Theyā€™ve said heā€™s a nazi, white supremicisr and all sorts of nasty stuff. Heā€™s talking about a lot of sensitive topics and complicated topics as well.

All this semantics. An endless chain of signifiers. Hereā€™s a distinction that actually mattersā€¦

There are two types of atheists: the kind that leave everybody else alone and the kind that donā€™t.

And two kinds of theists.

Thereā€™s two kinds of everybody.

Except agnostics. The great thing about agnostics is theyā€™re never pushing their beliefs on you. God bless `em.

Maybe they are not sure if they should :smirk:

I swear, Iā€™m going to send teams of Buddhist missionaries to knock on all yā€™allā€™s doors.

You have them at your beck and call?

Just as long as there are no self-immolations. I have enough trouble with my neighbors

1 Like

I didnā€™t realize that Forumosa was about discussing the poster. Forgiven as this may be simply a situation of a poster who lacks basic comprehension (of the rules)

hahahaha ā€˜globalistsā€™ are the ONLY reason you are in Taiwan.

nope, completely within the rules to criticize what other posters said.