2016 Costco Thread

Nope. Just got back from the Neihu store. They don’t have any at Xizhi either. And none currently on order. I kid you not.

Nope. Just got back from the Neihu store. They don’t have any at Xizhi either. And none currently on order. I kid you not.[/quote]
I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised given the way they’ve dropped so much of the best stuff down through the years, but when you see the way they’ve taken to stocking aisle after aisle with candy and crackers you really have to wonder about what goes on in the food manager’s head.

Nope. Just got back from the Neihu store. They don’t have any at Xizhi either. And none currently on order. I kid you not.[/quote]
I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised given the way they’ve dropped so much of the best stuff down through the years, but when you see the way they’ve taken to stocking aisle after aisle with candy and crackers you really have to wonder about what goes on in the food manager’s head.[/quote]

She/he is simply meeting the needs of the majority of Costo’s customers.

I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised given the way they’ve dropped so much of the best stuff down through the years[/quote]

While I understand your cynicism, I’ve been watching their stocking for over two decades, and I can tell you that it’s quite common for them to have ‘none on order’, then within somewhere between two weeks and two months, it reappears (this has been true of their organic chicken stock, natural peanut butter, certain wines, and so on).

Personally, I’ve learned to stockpile (and of course, to make my own when supplies are nil).

My parents visited a couple of weeks ago and they don’t understand why my larder/stockpile is bigger than theirs ever was when they were raising two hungry kids. They worry I’ve become some kind of nutty prepper, no matter how many times I try to explain to them “You see, there are times when products just DISAPPEAR from Taiwan for months or even years at a time.” (The way iHerb orders work, with the requirement to spend a certain amount and fall below a certain weight, does also lead to … excessive … quantities of some products.)

One of your neighbors here in Danshui might be willing to share some of those “excessive” quantities. :wink:

Well, they probably weren’t relying on unreliable foreign sources for basic ingredients.

I was in the Neihu branch on Friday.

They are selling Levis 511 shorts for $799 NT a pair. Mostly bigger sizes - at least big for Taiwan - ranging from 34-38 inches.

They also have 511 ($1000 NT) and 501 ($1299 NT) jeans. I was a bit dubious about the 501’s being such an old style, but apparently they change the cut to keep up with the trends. I was in Sogo yesterday and the 511 jeans are $2000 NT, so it’s a good bargain.

Finally, some nice Calvin Klein chinos for $1000 NT, and they also had some nice Levis and Nike t-shirts which i didn’t buy.

Some good quality clothes for slightly bigger - western - sizes.

[quote=“tigra”]I was in the Neihu branch on Friday.

They are selling Levis 511 shorts for $799 NT a pair. Mostly bigger sizes - at least big for Taiwan - ranging from 34-38 inches.

They also have 511 ($1000 NT) and 501 ($1299 NT) jeans. I was a bit dubious about the 501’s being such an old style, but apparently they change the cut to keep up with the trends. I was in Sogo yesterday and the 511 jeans are $2000 NT, so it’s a good bargain.

Finally, some nice Calvin Klein chinos for $1000 NT, and they also had some nice Levis and Nike t-shirts which i didn’t buy.

Some good quality clothes for slightly bigger - western - sizes.[/quote]

I pretty much wear jeans year-round, and have found the Kirkland branded jeans, which are usually $400-500 last just as long, if not longer than the Levi’s they sell. I’ve pretty much given up on buying Levi’s.

And, FWIW, a lot of Levi’s are made in the same factories using the same materials by the same workers that make Uniqlo’s jeans.

[quote=“cfimages”]

I pretty much wear jeans year-round, and have found the Kirkland branded jeans, which are usually $400-500 last just as long, if not longer than the Levi’s they sell. I’ve pretty much given up on buying Levi’s.

And, FWIW, a lot of Levi’s are made in the same factories using the same materials by the same workers that make Uniqlo’s jeans.[/quote]

tbh - almost all jeans last for a long time. The reason to buy one brand/style vs another is determined by fit and style/color preference. If you like Kirkland then that is great because they are cheaper.

I also wear blue jeans most of the year regardless of the heat but I buy 1-2 pairs (usually Levi’s) every time I go home.

My parents visited a couple of weeks ago and they don’t understand why my larder/stockpile is bigger than theirs ever was when they were raising two hungry kids. They worry I’ve become some kind of nutty prepper, no matter how many times I try to explain to them “You see, there are times when products just DISAPPEAR from Taiwan for months or even years at a time.” (The way iHerb orders work, with the requirement to spend a certain amount and fall below a certain weight, does also lead to … excessive … quantities of some products.)[/quote]

Interesting that that happens here in Beijing as well, thus a need to grab things when you can. I travelled to Taiwan recently and visited the Costco in Neihu. I have to say you all are pretty lucky to have the store - I guess it is all a matter of perspective. Finally getting back to Taiwan this week, after a 16 year hiatus!

Some items that looked good (to me):
Nuts
Wild caught salmon
Gas BBQ
Spices
English muffins?
Wines

Of course, I haven’t done any cost comparisons yet.

My parents visited a couple of weeks ago and they don’t understand why my larder/stockpile is bigger than theirs ever was when they were raising two hungry kids. They worry I’ve become some kind of nutty prepper, no matter how many times I try to explain to them “You see, there are times when products just DISAPPEAR from Taiwan for months or even years at a time.” (The way iHerb orders work, with the requirement to spend a certain amount and fall below a certain weight, does also lead to … excessive … quantities of some products.)[/quote]

Interesting that that happens here in Beijing as well, thus a need to grab things when you can. I travelled to Taiwan recently and visited the Costco in Neihu. I have to say you all are pretty lucky to have the store - I guess it is all a matter of perspective. Finally getting back to Taiwan this week, after a 16 year hiatus!

Some items that looked good (to me):
Nuts
Wild caught salmon
Gas BBQ
Spices
English muffins?
Wines

Of course, I haven’t done any cost comparisons yet.[/quote]

Generally, Costco has the cheapest prices on the exact same item in Taiwan. Costco also usually stocks quality stuff. Sometimes a bigger quantity of the same (usually food) item will be the same price or cheaper than elsewhere.

the biggest reason to shop at Costco is for a larger selection (esp more of a western diet selection) of higher quality items. Typically you can find things cheaper at local supermarkets but the quality isn’t as good. For example the wild caught salmon is significantly more expensive but it is really, really good.

Well, just a follow up since this is a Costco thread. Been in Taiwan a week now and been buying a lot of stuff. I’ve found that Costco is the cheapest. Our vacuum cleaner was about 3,000ntd cheaper than at Carrefour. It is just tough to handle the quantities, I have around an 8 year supply of Q-tips. Some nice stuff though - avocado oil, Himalayan salt… Things go quickly, last week I could buy a bulk virgin oil oil but not this week, also a toaster. Anyway, fun shopping - incredible place Da Zhi and Neihu, nice buildings.

I tried using costco online shopping, but apparently my card doesn’t quality for it (I got the card in the US).

Is it safe to assume the switch from amex to visa also starts today in TW?

[quote=“Robotea”]I tried using costco online shopping, but apparently my card doesn’t quality for it (I got the card in the US).

Is it safe to assume the switch from amex to visa also starts today in TW?[/quote]

In Taiwan, Costco online only accepts their Cathay United Bank co-branded credit card.

That holds true for in-store shopping, too, doesn’t it?

Yup, no Amex anymore, only the Cathay Co-branded card

Blueberries (fresh) are at their cheapest now, just FYI. Around $200.

PRIMO hot Hungarian salami is back (finally!) in the Zhongli store. Add some Tillamook extra sharp cheddar… :notworthy: