2016 Costco Thread

Is that like Nutella? There’s a better version of that with more cocoa and less sugar imported by Foody (Xizhi), which supplies local shops like organic and fair-trade shops and ZhuFuLianMeng, just FYI. I recently used it to make hazelnut chocolate palmiers (orejas) using Anchor brand puff pastry – super easy and quick. After chopping and toasting the hazelnuts, it was literally under 10 minutes to roll out the thawed puff pastry, coat it with a thin spread of choc-haz.spread, sprinkle with nuts, roll up, slice, and then pop into the oven. Baked in 15 min. or so. Fancy result, little effort.

They had the Kirkland beers at the Xizhi Costco! Right next to the boxes of Corona. Didn’t even look in the direction of the those cervesas.

If you’d looked in that direction, maybe you’d have seen the proper spelling of cervezas. :wink:

Glad that they had the beers there. The only question is how long will they stay in stock. I’m guessing not long, so anybody who likes them should probably stock up.

I blame the school system in the US!

I’m really happy about my purchase of another pair of Kroten walking shoes. They have quick laces and I use them for running. I haven’t see the shoes for a year or so. Now this is definitely another thing that seems to go fast.

I don’t think charging system, I more believe to have the traffic jams avoided

Picked up one of the last cases of the craft ales in Guandu today. Good stuff

We got another case for a barbecue over the long weekend. They seemed to really like it. I have to say, though, I seem to prefer a lighter taste now. I only really enjoyed the Summer Ale variety. The others are too bitter for me. But definitely a great option when you plan to have people over.

After a long absence, I saw fruit and vegetable wash at Costco Beitou. Organic to boot.

About the Cheerios, I was told that they got rid of the stock because they found the same thing in it that was in the Quaker Oats.
No word on if they will ever stock it again, which makes me terribly sad.

My guess is that Quaker is having trouble sourcing oats without the herbicide residue, so supply is down, and Costco’s order is thus delayed. Q’s oatmeal squares have also disappeared from local shelves, probably for the same reason.

Q’s oatmeal squares have also disappeared from local shelves, probably for the same reason.

Ah, so they’ve not just disappeared from my neck of the woods. Those oatmeal squares + muesli + either yogurt or soy milk is my standard breakfast.

So now I’m ordering similar oatmeal squares from iHerb. And I cannot believe that ordering cereal from the United States, and having it shipped here by air, is turning out to cost about the same as walking down to the supermarket to buy cereal.

Is this the herbicide residue where the Taiwanese test is about a thousand times more stringent than that in most other countries?

hi sorry I’m visiting Taipei and wondering where is the best Costco and how to get there ie. is it possible via MRT? thanks!

I haven’t yet figured out any consistent differences in quality or amount of stock.

“Best” depends on where you are. The most convenient to the MRT is probably the one between Guandu / Zhongyi MRT stations - it’s about a five-minute walk from Guandu Station. But if you’re already in Neihu, for example, you’d probably want to go to the Neihu branch, even though it’s not particularly close to an MRT station.

Here’s a page with all their addresses, Chinese only:
https://warehouses.costco.com.tw/location_zh/location.action

This is the best English-language list of addresses I can currently find, although it doesn’t include the no-longer-that-new Beitou / Guandu store:
https://taiwanease.com/branch_list/590/Costco

Second what lostinasia said. Guandu Costco is easiest to get to. Neihu Costco, you can get there by mrt then bus. Bus 63 from song Shan mrt station will take you there. Get off at Xinhu third road.

There is one in xizhi. Take the mrt to nangang exhibition center. Then change to bus. I don’t know the numbers, but a lot of them go that way. Suggest you check google maps or download the “fun travel in Taipei” smartphone app for bus routes.

best regarding…? Neihu is the most popular, but most desirable items sell out fast because it gets pretty crowded.

Xizhi acts like an unofficial warehouse, so it has most items in stock.

Guandu/Tamsui Costco is convenient and as yet, has to get too crowded, so shopping is a breeze.

Zhonghe Costco is also easily accessible by MRT/bus connection. get off at Jingan station and then get on the Circular Line Bus (Xindian to Xinzhuang) or 262. Bus stop is the bus depot, just across the street from Costco. Coming back, bus stop is just at the entrance.

For any Mountain Dew fans, Guandu Costco has them in stock: 24 pack for 299.

Go with your co-workers. Get some free samples and make a day out of it! We do that with extended family sometimes. They are pretty ok with bringing guests. They don’t even count members of a party. Purchase things on your friends membership/credit card and give your friend points.
You really should become a member if you can. But try it out first.

They certainly do, a party of 8 was recently stopped and ended up assaulting the employee that stopped them, was all over the news last week.

Just become a member and then return the card for a full refund on month 11, like half of the Taiwan members…

That incident with the party of 8 was really awful… mainly because they assaulted the employee and allegedly management decided to push the whole mess under the rug and did not call the cops nor helped the employee. That is petty low but par de course as per Taiwanese management. However, one would expect a bit more loyalty from an “international” company.

I mean, the employee will lose anyway. If she lets the party of 8 go through, she will be scolded/fired. If she doesn’t, she gets chastised for “bad service”. The guilty party, the freeloaders, go free -I mean, you already can get 2 guests in, pushing it they may turn a blind eye to 4, 5 if one is a child, but 8?!

And yes, in many parts of the world we have this kind of behaviour. However, it is frowned upon. There would be legal consequences.

And yes, you can exchange to your heart’s content at Costco. It is one area they shine above the rest. Pity it might be getting pushed out due to excess. And yes, it does cross a line…into the ridiculous:

TAIPEI (Taiwan News) – The Taiwanese branch of U.S. supermarket chain Costco expelled a member for returning 86 percent of his purchases to the store, reports said Saturday.

One cardholder reportedly complained online that he had been expelled from the program and his card rendered invalid because he had returned 86 percent of his purchases.

…Recent media reports showed a customer in Kaohsiung returning flowers to the local Costco store because they had wilted, and another coming up with a piece of luggage covered in stickers from airlines.**

For people who love face… please don’t.

Once it’s run by Taiwanese management, it becomes Taiwanese, regardless of where it came from. Certain corporate policies may be enacted if they differ from normal cultural policies, but the overall work atmosphere changes to Taiwanese.