A favour to ask from my fellow Forumosans

The Research, Development and Evaluation Commission of the Executive Yuan’s Division of International Affairs has created an International Living Environment Project Office tasked with “building an international environment that would strengthen the nation’s global competitiveness.” This committee’s mission includes:

*Design an overall strategy for building an international living environment
*Draft proposals on raising the level of English proficiency among Taiwanese and define the methods and facilities needed to achieve objectives.
*Evaluate the plans made by each government organization to build an international living environment
*Review the results generated by each government organization from their work of building an international living environment

They have been consulting Forumosa and other international organizations over the past year to help them understand the best way forward.

[color=#BF0000]Here’s where you come in. Can you please click on the link below and fill out the questionnaire? It’ll take some time, and it’s not a particularly interesting process, but they feel it will be useful to them. And on Question No.31, (the last question), be sure to tell them you heard about them through Forumosa. We are trying to keep a good relationship with the powers that be, and robust participation in this questionnaire will help. Thanks very much in advance![/color]

1. Occupation:
    Government organization
    Academic institution
    Service industry
    Unemployed
    Embassy/trade office
    Manufacturer or other businesses
    Student

Quite a narrow selection!

[quote=“itakitez”]27. Occupation:
Government organization
Academic institution
Service industry
Unemployed
Embassy/trade office
Manufacturer or other businesses
Student

Quite a narrow selection![/quote]
Yes, but “academic institution” certainly sounds a lot better than “buxiban.”

1. In terms of a “one-stop” portal website with useful information for foreigners, which country has done an impressive job, in your opinion? (multiple answers are okay)

Where’s the “none” option for this question and the following couple?

Errr, forgive my dumbness… but where’s the … nevermind… doh… :blush:

Hey, where the hell have you been??
What’s going on, dude?

We are pleased to present, for the very first time in Taiwan, A One-Stop English Information Portal for Foreigners.”

Run! :runaway:

Does anyone actually use such websites? I think it’s great that they are seeking the opinions of foreigners but . . .

Nevermind.

The survey requires an email address: won’t this just scare everyone off? It doesn’t require a valid one though, so I just typed some words. It’s always depressing to see such ‘head in the box’ thinking.

[quote=“Jaboney”]17. In terms of a “one-stop” portal website with useful information for foreigners, which country has done an impressive job, in your opinion? (multiple answers are okay)

Where’s the “none” option for this question and the following couple?[/quote]

and it wont let you proceed unless you do add something. I think Singapore is gonna get really high votes (first on list) so they will make their website look just like this

http://app.sgdi.gov.sg/index.asp

Look forward to colour changes to blue and red and lots of Merlions soon!!!

[quote=“Thelonlieste”]“We are pleased to present, for the very first time in Taiwan, A One-Stop English Information Portal for Foreigners.”

Run! :runaway:

Does anyone actually use such websites? I think it’s great that they are seeking the opinions of foreigners but . . .

Nevermind.

The survey requires an email address: won’t this just scare everyone off? It doesn’t require a valid one though, so I just typed some words. It’s always depressing to see such ‘head in the box’ thinking.[/quote]

Its very useful for telling family when to come since it lists all gov. holidays, that is, unless they change them 1 week before

I’ll admit it’s carried out in a piss poor manner, but considering one of my current work projects I’m neither surprised nor expecting much.

[quote=“itakitez”][quote=“Jaboney”]17. In terms of a “one-stop” portal website with useful information for foreigners, which country has done an impressive job, in your opinion? (multiple answers are okay)

Where’s the “none” option for this question and the following couple?[/quote]

and it wont let you proceed unless you do add something.[/quote]

You can just click “Other” and type something in the box like, “I don’t use gov websites!”

Well, that’s what I did.

This survey appears to be only about certain websites (none of which I browse), and little about making Taiwan a more international place. To make Taiwan a more international place, I’d suggest the total purge of Tongyong Pinyin, and a serious, concerted effort to correct the English on pertinent signage (road signs, interpretive signs, etc.) throughout the island.

A “One-Stop English Information Portal for Foreigners”? Wouldn’t that be Forumosa?

Not a particularly useful questionnaire. I haven’t visited any of the government websites because i didn’t know about them. there’s no option for telling them that.

Done. Survey is as disappointing as the relevancy of information on their “portals”. Hopefully it’ll help to make it more relevant and accurate, but I doubt it…

Which NT$400,000 a month city councillor came up with this one? Would it be from the Office of Making Life Difficult for Foreigners? You know, the one that ensures we can no longer get 6-year driving licences, or do the normal stuff we used to be able to do without “guarantors”.

Their websites are crap because they don’t give a damn. This sort of fake interest in making Taiwan more “international” makes me want to puke. Seen it all before. Astonished Forumosa would validate such obvious window dressing. Dear oh dear.

I loved Question 19 (or so) where you are asked to describe your status:

Foreigner with ROC Nationality :roflmao:

[quote=“Feiren”]
Foreigner with ROC Nationality :roflmao:[/quote]
For FUCK’S sake! What a bunch of utter and complete fucking twats.
I’m not even going to click on the link. The less the government knows what I want, the less I won’t give a damn when they totally ignore what I want and continue with their merry peasant fucktard xenophobia.

Another clean sign that govt. thinks ‘international’ equals ‘English proficient’. The mentality that brings us, “Let’s stick some Chinglish signs up around the place and then pat ourselves on the back for being international”.

:unamused:

Well, that was… poor…
I mean, is that really the best hey can come up with?

Thanks! It’s not like they support Forumosa financially. Oh, wait - they do. It’s not like you haven’t wasted time on useless surveys before. Oh, wait - you have.

Jeez. What’s the big deal? And you know what? The feedback in this thread is getting back to them directly. I have a face-to-face meeting with them in two weeks where they’ve asked me to be the keynote speaker. Do you think I’ll mince my words? Hell no. They are IN AWE of Forumosa’s reach to foreigners in Taiwan. Their numbers pale next to ours, and all they’re looking for is some feedback. Will they ever succeed? Probably not. But at least they’re going through the motions.