A foreigner’s rant: the agrochemical abyss of rural Taiwan

Many waiguoren residing longterm in the ROC develop thorns in their sides. These are often things beyond our control: air/noise pollution, traffic, mystery ailments nurtured by the climate and food/water, rotten neighbours, chabuduoism, animal abuse, etc.

Approaching a decade and a half living mostly in semi-rural northern Taiwan, the thorn in my side is the ubiquitous misuse of agrochemicals. The majority of “farmed” areas (anywhere with more green fields than grey buildings) are a pastoral dystopia.

On Monday, I returned from abroad and opened my rear balcony window to be greeted with the distinctive stench of the pesticide terbufos (托福松). Looking down, I saw piles of brick red terbufos granules outside next door’s corrugated metal extension. The neighbour, A-Huang stood outside smoking, so I went to ask him what was going on.

He didn’t know the name of the stuff, just that it was insecticide for centipedes, not pesticide and he insisted it was harmless. He added that the strong smell demonstrated its efficacy: no more centipedes had entered his casa.

Anyway, terbufos is a 戲毒 (highest hazard category) organophosphate, banned in China and the EU. It is intended to be buried underground to control soil insects when growing crops like bananas and sugar cane. He’d laid a kilo of the stuff in a 10 metre line, typical use might be kilo per hectare. I explained the danger, and that it was volatilising into the air we were breathing, but he refused to remove it for fear of the centipedes’ return.

I want the stuff gone and I don’t have the PPE to do it safely. Next step: call the EPA. After explaining the situation to the guy on the phone, he just says “農藥的話我們沒辦法” but that they’ll send someone. He added that if its herbicide they can enforce laws, but for pesticides I would have to call the Agricultural Development Department. The EPA fail to show up, so I call the ADD!

Get put through to a helpful guy at the ADD, Mr. Zhou. He says that he’ll come and talk to A-Huang, but that he can’t fine him or get him to clear it up. Mr Zhou shows up and is clearly well versed in identifying pesticides by smell, he says that its terbufos to A-Huang who’s now louder and more defensive of his ignorance. The chat goes on for a while and A-Huang concedes that he knows its poisonous, hence “not using much” and says that he’ll clear it up and dispose of it.

Saturday, and he’s not cleared it up. The air quality is adversely affected and I’m sure if the surrounding air was tested that it would be way over PPM limits… I have been given different extensions at various departments of the EPA, to report what is clearly a case of 化學農藥廢棄物, but there has been no follow up.

After logging the complaint online today, I received a phone call from the EPA saying that they can only deal with “smell problems” not clearing up stuff/pesticides. Apparently, they also sent their agents on Monday, but they “couldn’t smell anything.”

Am I going nuts here? Or is this all a bit too damn 離譜 outrageous? Centipedes, terrible poisons, and the EPA relying on smell tests?

Rant over. I would appreciate any suggestions of where to go with this, especially from any other rural dwellers/scientists/environmental warriors.

Cheers.

19 Likes

@Explant

3 Likes

Here’s an entry for Terbufos at the COA.

It seems that you can use 20 kilos per hectare, so he might be OK on the quantity. But I wonder if his use could be out of scope? There is a list of crops and insects that it can be used for in the flier. For example, it can be used against tomato root-knot nematodes on (番茄根瘤線蟲). Could his use be out of scope and thus illegal?

A group of resident farmers in Dajia, Taichung signed a group petition to their city councilor complaining about an outsider who rented land to grow sweet potatoes. The city councilor was able to get people from several departments at the city government to investigate. The sweet potato far operator ended up being fined and ordered to stop using the pesticide. It seem that his use was out of scope.

Maybe you could take a similar approach? I do see some differences in your case that might affect the optics though.

Also, are you talking to city/county government departments? The central government doesn’t do enforcement, so going to them doesn’t usually help much.

3 Likes

2g per square meter then. If he really has put “a kilo” just in his front yard, he’s obviously using about 100x too much.

Taiwanese farmers, as a lumpen bunch, do indeed seem to enjoy making a godawful mess and there’s nobody prepared to rein them in or educate them, despite laws being on the books for that purpose.

Unfortunately I reckon the OP is going to get his tyres slashed because a-Huang, in his own head, is entirely justified and the foreigner is a bad person who doesn’t understand the culture.

7 Likes

Is there a lizhang or other community leader with whom you can speak? Getting that kind of key person aboard would definitely be a plus.

Guy

6 Likes

This probably explains why something was done in that case, and why OP (presuming a foreigner here) is struggling so hard to get something done

4 Likes

Yes I had the same thought. I don’t think OP is being unreasonable at all but I assume A-huang is from the area and the OP did mention “On Monday, I returned from abroad and opened my rear balcony window”.

Also. "Looking down, I saw piles of brick red terbufos granules outside next door’s corrugated metal extension. " These are all ominous signs of potential trouble.

The suggestion of talking to the cunzhang/lizhang is a good one. Of course A-huang is a constituent and OP is not so…

3 Likes

Of course there’s also the possibility that A-huang is the lizhang! Certainly in New Taipei, the house with the biggest land grab and illegal extensions/additions is often the LiZhang or a family member…

7 Likes

Thanks for your reply. The departments so far have all been local to Yilan. I read about this case down Dajia ways, and in “our” case, the scope as a barrier for centipedes is definitely not permitted use.

Not sure if I’m replying in the correct spaces here, but…Yes, I am a foreigner, and man, there’s some odd land /power situations in the sticks… I have spoken to the Linzhang 鄰長 who until recently was “farming” peanuts on someone else’s land out the back, his method was to scatter the same stuff all over after planting… A decent chap, but his take on it is that Terbufos is pretty mild, he was telling me about other nefarious chemicals that could be procured “elsewhere”…Will seek out the lizhang, I figure this will be a slow process, but no-one wants to be slowly, or swiftly poisoned, do they?!.. Cheers.

4 Likes

My only suggestion is to have some video you putting some into a bag for testing. This type of situation is pretty annoying and all too common. I also find the EPA rather useless outside of collecting their fees/taxes.

If you have animals, keep them inside. Not because of that poison but because he might rat poison your pets if you piss him off enough.

Generally speaking it’s always better to make friends. Taiwanese are easy to become enemies. Usually uneasy to become friends. But this situation is problematic, especially with the loss of face already experience. Glass hearts and low emotional maturity will ensue.

If you get it tested, your dollar, you can probably insist on either the the epa, or more likely some agriculture department to escalate it.

At the same time, if the land is zoned farmland, you probably won’t get far legally. The leg work of becoming friends and the slow, many years process, of glacial like change .

If you grow anything, you could also get your “product” tested and then go that route of he is polluting your land/crops type thing. Do make sure you get records of everything where possible. But it would be very advisable to avoid court.

Good luck!

2 Likes

Thanks, Explant. I have kept things as civil as I can, de-escalating wherever possible, A-Huang seems genuinely nonplussed by my complaint.

There’s a lot of animals around the area, and, there have been a few poisonings of dogs in recent years, but A-Huang himself keeps a dog, so I doubt he’d be go that route.

Not zoned farmland, its a residential area.

The root of the problem isn’t A-Huang, the Nonghui shouldn’t sell such toxic stuff with minimal hazard labelling etc to the barely literate.

TBH I am not going anywhere near “the spill,” but will keep records and hopefully get the ball rolling in the neighbourhood for the glacial pace of reform that you mention!

Cheers.

6 Likes

This may be helpful
V. Total organophosphates

https://law.moj.gov.tw/ENG/LawClass/LawAll.aspx?pcode=O0040004

https://pesticide.aphia.gov.tw/information/Query/Userange/?pestcd=I054&cidecd=GR%20%20&pescnt=10.000%20&compno=99653092&regtid=10&regtno=04343&newquery=true

If animals are being farmed there, might be a possible route (unlikely)

https://law.moj.gov.tw/ENG/LawClass/LawAll.aspx?pcode=L0040078

I didn’t read this but have some interesting stuff for referrence

https://www.moa.gov.tw/redirect_files.php?id=23648

If it’s residential, perhaps there is a regulation that doesn’t allow pesticide use of certain forms in residential zoning?

2 Likes

It seems to me that you are already doing everything you can. Are there any socially and envoronmentally conscious people around who you might be able to enlist as allies? The Lizhang seems like a sensible next step.

I do share the other posters concerns that you may cause more trouble for yourself than it is worth. A-huang and his neighbors probably went to elementary school togther, have lived there for decades, and have all kinds of shifting alliances and disputes. You are an outsider with strange ideas.

Arguably, you came to the nuisance since everyone knows that all kinds of legal and illegal pesticides and chemicals are used in the ‘country’. It might be best to just shut your windows until the smell goes way and get involved with whatever environmental activism/projects there are in your area to slowly build a network of allies who can counsel you.

6 Likes

In my opinion, 99 times out of q00 environmental angles don’t work with traditional farmers. Money works real fast. Given its residential and he isn’t using it on a farm, it will be hard. But offering an even better solution, that actually works, for centipedes might be good. Also identifying the centipedes might be wise. One might be shocked how many mix up centipedes and millipedes. Or stick insects and mantuds etc. If he realizes it isn’t venomous, maybe a change of heart. There are very very few medically significant centipedes adhere as well, most are nothing as far as venom. An insecticidal angle of they kill cockroaches might be a good seed to sow over a tea.

1 Like

This is wise advice. Locally, I keep a low profile, and will be enlisting allies, will see what the Lizhang says next week. It’s tricky, because the area has become a popular tourist spot in the last few years, while hanging onto land grab farming, trash burning etc…

The environmental groups I have encountered so far seem to be focussed solely on beach clean-ups, the agrochemical chaos up the beach isn’t on their radar.

Over the weekend I have linked up with a scientist in Pingtung researching the deliberate poisoning of birds with various nasties. He’s provided a raft of advice, and requested I send him any dead critters in the area by refrigerated courier.

5 Likes

Some serious reading material here, thanks. Are you a farmer?

1 Like

It’s no longer the EPA. It has been upgraded to Ministry of the Environment. You would think they’d have more authority now to control toxic substances.

5 Likes

The centipedes, I’ve seen them, they’re the big fast ones that bite and occasionally end up steeped in Gaoliang. Yes, money, the great motivator. I will see if there’s a cheaper option, such as spraying a barrier around the house.

From what I’ve seen, the granular formulations of terbufos, phorate, and the like, while intended to be safer for those applying them, often end up in the hands of desperado"farmers" growing on government/grabbed land who don’t want to invest in a sprayer and other equipment.

Outside of this incident, the prevalent coastal method of peanut agriculture is covering the sand in terbufos and fertiliser at planting time. This is probably a larger, more damaging “tradition.” Any advice on how to approach this? Money and not education/harm reduction, now you’ve got me thinking.

For referrence. The big species of medical significance are these guys, Chinese names for your referrence. Note that myriapod taxonomy is far from decent, globally, so expect the list to grow or change as time goes on. Some really cool stuff about semi aquatic ones in Taiwan, but I will shut up haha. Just note taxonomy is understudied and even the government/universities still are not doing amazing work (anywhere).

赤蜈蚣 Scolopendra morsitans
多棘蜈蚣 Scolopendra multidens
模棘蜈蚣 Scolopendra subspinipes

蜈蚣屬 Scolopendra | 分類群 | 台灣生物多樣性網絡

Basically, if they are the big ones proper, good luck changing his mind about killing them. One way forward, which I do truly HATE to suggest. Because, well…obviously. but he is killing them (and many other species) anyway. Is to catch and sell them. It’s a long shot because he probably sees under 10 a year. But money talks, even just the idea of it. 1 route is Chinese medicine. It would likely be illegal (poaching type of thing, wild fauna) but I think we all know that isn’t of importance to him. They do use them for medicine, but they are mostly from farms in China. Meaning cheap and lots available. Hard sell here without quantity and cheap by the kg dried. Second is the pet industry. More than a few people keep centipedes as pets, myself included. The price would be higher and can sell one by one. This route, although I am not a fan of pet stores, also keeps the poor bastards alive. Offering him a couple sales venues like “I know a guy that will buy them” would probably cement this idea in his head. Would require leg work on your end, and you just missed the big Insect fair. But there is a reptile one coming in June you could go network and collect business cards (and don’t tell them ehat your doing).

He could trap them. We can chat how that’s done if interested. Probably best for pm.

Yes, farming is a significant part of my work. I am in agriculture/forestry/food and various nursery and animal husbandry before. But should note I am organic, so I fight the same fight as you haha. It’s an uphill battle, not always won. Key thing is stay patient and work with people, not against them. The surest path to failure is get them angry haha .

As always, just my opinions.

Edit. I type for shit. FYI. I will edit the important typos after :slight_smile:

1 Like