Any cyclists have accident insurance?

It goes without saying that there are inherent risks involved with cycling, and I was just wondering if anybody has purchased any kind of insurance that would apply in the case of having an accident while cycling. I’m not sure if normal accident insurance would cover bike riding or not, but if anybody has an insurance company or policy type to recommend, I’d appreciate any information you can share. Thank you.

I’m pretty sure there’s no cycling insurance unless you’re a pro athlete, but I have a friend working insurance at FuBon.

I’ll get back to you.

NHI would cover most of it no? I know it does for scooter accidents.

That brings up whether Taipei govt considers bikes as vehicles or not. Last time I checked, bikes are closer to pedestrians than scooters.

Even though it should be the other away around.

That brings up whether Taipei govt considers bikes as vehicles or not. Last time I checked, bikes are closer to pedestrians than scooters.

Even though it should be the other away around.[/quote]
Yes, NHI would probably cover most of it, but I’m just contemplating anything more serious that would require more hospital visits. I can cover it out of pocket as well, but if there is an inexpensive accident insurance policy that would come in handy, I’d consider it.

I’m not trying to be a pessimist, but you see some crazy stuff out there when riding a bike (or being anywhere near a road for that matter).

ranlee, those are good points. I guess it comes down to reading the policy guidelines.

I think your question should be aimed more at having general supplementary insurance instead of cycling specific insurance. This has been on my list of things to add for the last year but I have been busy and broke. I don’t know all of the perks but things like private hospital rooms would be nice if you were in a serious accident.

I agree that the insurance doesn’t need to be cycling specific, and I tried to phrase my posts that way (although maybe not as well as I could have).

Accident insurance or another type of supplemental insurance would probably be good enough, but I was just curious from anybody who might have looked into this before. There’s a surprisingly huge number of cyclists on Forumosa and this cycling subforum has been getting a lot of posts, so I thought someone might have some experience with this. I will probably talk it over with my wife sometime soon and have her ask her insurance agent about it.

Ok I checked with my Fubon insurance buddy, he said there’s no cycling specific insurance. He said most of it is covered by NHI, if you want extra coverage, you might want to look under vehicle accidents and such.

We did also talk about how Taipei Govt doesn’t consider bikes as “motor vehicles” thus, no specific insurance for cyclists.

Thanks for that, ranlee. I’m going to look further into this. I was out of town recently, but I will resume the search soon.

Outside of a race, you’re just covered by general NHI (or private additional cover, if you have). That covers all kinds of accidents including recreational activities, or commuting. why should cycling be any different?

In a race, you’re normally covered by insurance purchased for competitors by the organisers, which is paid for by your entrance fee.

So it turns out, the insurance companies have finally caught up. Who knows what caused it, probably a lot of vehicle on bike accidents in the past year have triggered new policies.

http://fun330.com.tw/index.php

I’m a little busy in the office atm, so I’ll come back later with translation.

1 Like

To follow up, I ended up just relying on regular accident insurance (which I already had through a group insurance policy at work). I never have needed to file a claim, luckily. This new insurance looks like it could be a lot better, though. Thanks for finding that.