Anyone in Gangshan, Kaohsiung County?

Just curious, anyone live around Gangshan, or that general area of Kaohsiung county between Kaohsiung city and Tainan? I’ll be moving there from Taipei in a few months with the wifey and might just lose mind being in the country side with no foreign friends. Honestly don’t care where you are from as long as you speak english or chinese.

You’re not too far from Tainan, at least?

Nor Kaohsiung. I can’t remember how long it takes to drive my motorcycle to Gangshan but I would imagine that Tainan and Kaohsiung are only 20-30min away. And I think there are plans to finish the KMRT out to Gangshan. It’s listed as the end of the red line but the KMRT stops one stop from the end now. And that would make it really easy to get anywhere in Kaohsiung.

This does mean that on workdays you’ll be out in the boonies by yourself but every weekend (and even some workdays) is an easy trip into the city.

Gangshan isn’t that bad. It’s pretty decent, and it’s near to KHH and Tainan as the above posters have noted.

The harbour/river area is also pretty cool.

Hey jackalope. I’ve lived in Gangshan for about 2 years now. There is a Mcdonalds. There is a 3c. Oh and a wellcome, that’s new. Apparently there’s also new restaurant in town with a similar menu to smokey joe’s which is run by a foreigner, haven’t gotten a chance to check it out though. As you can see things are booming here and you’re just in time. Get ready for lots of obasans and no traffic rules.

But it is close to both Kaohsiung and Tainan…the MRT almost runs up here, but the local train is more efficient getting into Kaohsiung if Zuoying or the Main station are acceptable exits. Tainan is about 30 mins by train as well.

How many foreigners live here? Well I don’t know any who live here…I know several from work who live a town or 2 away, and I’m sure there are some in town, but really not many. If I didn’t live with my GF I’d probably lose my mind. :wink:

I think you’ll find people here generally more friendly and laid back than in Taipei (the whole area including Kaohsiung and Tainan). And the weather is superior, it’s hot but almost never rains.

Anyway drop me a pm if you like and we can chat.

I had a girlfriend down there a while ago. It’s fine as far as small towns go. There’s one place that made AWESOME grilled cheese sandwiches. Just a side of the road stand. Not sure to even begin to describe how to get there or identify it, but if you can find it…

It’s a short drive to Kaohsiung or Tainan. It’s an even shorter train ride for smaller trips.

Bismark, I believe those pictures are from Lotus Pond in Tsoying, not Gangshan. Gangshan is about 25 mins away.

Jackalope, as others have posted, you’re close enough to Kaohsiung and Tainan that you’ll be able to make a trip to either city on weekends in no time. I have friends who work in the area and make treks to Kaohsiung several times a week with no complaints.

Hmmm…ok. :idunno: I thought it was Gangshan.

Still, that entire area is ok. It’s not big city living, or anything, but at least it’s not remote country living either.

Wanted to give this a quick bump and see if there are any more foreigners in Gangshan and what they are up to? specifically interested in what kind of jobs they have

I realize that this post is rather old, but was wondering if there are any foreigners in Gangshan or the neighboring areas. I have been here for over 3 months and have not met any one in the close vicinity. Would be really nice to have a friend near by.

Tainan and Kaohsiung are both pretty close by train. Hop on one and come visit one weekend!

Moving to Gangshan in a year later from Japan, anyone around?
I have been to gangshan for several times and I enjoyed staying with the friendly people there and also the causal living style.

I still live here!

What’s up man?? My wife and I have been here in Gangshan for a few days now and have a few more days til we leave. What’s there to do here??

I can only think of two things. Get on the MRT and head south or get on a scooter and head northeast.

Hi there jackalpe,
How’s is it like to live in gangshan?
Consider to move there but afraid that will be feeling isolated

You will probably feel isolated if you move here. There are very few foreigners here.