Talk to Me about Kaohsiung

I’ve searched for a topic about living in Kaohsiung and couldn’t find one. I know it’s warmer, which is a big draw for me, and have been told it has a lower cost of living than Taipei. Does anyone live and work in Kaohsiung who would be willing to give me a rundown of what it’s like to live and teach there? Thanks! :slight_smile:

Hi Cassiopeia

The thread’s over here: http://forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=92679&start=70. I’ll merge your thread with that one in a day or two’s time.

Here are some more threads, but I’m not sure how helpful they’ll be. Mods, feel free to temp or obliterate if this post is redundant or useless.

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?t=64932

Champagne falls from the sky and the streets are paved with gold. Please stay away :wink:

2 Likes

They juggle geese there. Geese!

1 Like

It’s a silly place.

Kaohsiung is more provincial and people will stare more and make more comments about you within earshot…

Other than that, the cost of living is low enough enjoy a very nice life…

1 Like

Giants. Giants!

1 Like

Did I mention the champagne and caviar?

1 Like

Well, it’s certainly not a hyped-up city.
In fact, some may find it a bit dull.
But if you know where to look, there’s enough happening to make it an interesting and pleasant place to live. (Check out, for example, the Pier 2 Art District and surrounding areas.)
While the people may not be that sophisicated, they are, in general, very affable.
The MRT is fast, clean regular.
And if you drive or ride, the traffic ain’t too bad (once you know how to avoid a few bottlenecks).
The cost of living is very reasonable.
Did I mention the weather?

Many have come and never left.

At certain times of the year, however, air quality is one significant downside.

3 Likes

[quote=“wenli”]Kaohsiung is more provincial and people will stare more and make more comments about you within earshot…

Other than that, the cost of living is low enough enjoy a very nice life…[/quote]

Are you talking about Kaohsiung or Kaohsiung County (the rural part)?

It’s not Taipei obviously but foreigners are everywhere here. And I barely get noticed here.

1 Like

It’s not too bad living in Kaohsiung, if you can handle the pollution and crazy traffic.

The biggest obstacle you will have is finding a teaching job that will provide 14+ hours, which is what you need for a work permit/visa. It is not as difficult to find gigs that will provide a few hours here and there, but the English teaching market is shrinking and there is an excess of foreigners looking for work.

I would suggest another city :2cents:

Abacus - I live technically in the city but very near the county border…

1 Like

That accounts for the difference of opinion.

Digging this up instead of starting a new thread

I had dinner and a stroll on the Gushan side of Love River for the first time, they’re doing some work but when it is finished should be nice. The view is more interesting over there and it us quieter. There was even an outdoor beer garden that sadly had a live performer with the volume loud enough to drown out the performer across the river; probably that’s why the beer garden was empty

Also, the revitalized train station downtown has opened the east side roundabout and the ground level work looks almost done. They’ve taken down some of the fences and buildings obstructing the view and it looks really good

3 Likes

Pros:

1. weather - the sun is intense in the summer, but there is always breeze.
  2. public space - lots of nice parks, and the harbor area is becoming quite nice.
  3. lower cost-of-living than Taipei.
  4. people are friendlier and more laid back than Taipei (It can be a con too, as I find people walking too slowly and side-by-side blocking my way quite annoying).
  5. wider roads, and more modern buildings.

Cons

1. air pollution is bad in winter.
  2. worst water quality in Taiwan - people either install water filters at home or buy drinking water.
  3. lower pays and fewer jobs.
  4. people don’t obey traffic laws - crossing roads or even walking on sidewalks can be dangerous.
  5. public transportation is limited - most people rely on scooters and cars.
  6. a food desert compared to Taipei.
3 Likes

You put what I’ve always thought into good words.

That should be Kaohsiung’s city slogan

2 Likes

What’s going on with all the figurines of men sucking mothers milk straight from the teet and then getting butt-fucked by some demon inside the Dragon and Tiger Pagodas?

I’m sure this is some kind of historical depiction of something-or-other but am curious what. I also saw the man drinking human milk thing in a Japanese dojo so I imagined it was something to do with famine?

The interior of the temple quite close by to there was utterly stunning, particularly around the koi water feature thing.

It’s a big city, but IMO not as scenic as Taipei. Taipei is hemmed in by the mountains/hills, and it makes for better scenery. Kaohsiung is mostly flat. On days with no wind the air pollution just sits on top of it, making it look a bit bleak.

Definitely cheaper than Taipei. Both cities have MRT systems, though Kaohsiung’s isn’t as comprehensive as Taipei’s. Traffic near the freeway entrances/exits can be scary, but away from the city center it’s not bad.

At night Kaohsiung can be fun. There seem to be less expats in Kaohsiung, but that’s just the impression I get from riding the MRT around. Getting to the touristy parts of Kaohsiung like Meinong, or Foguangshan or E-Da World is harder than it would be in Taipei, but that’s not a big factor in living there.

I really don’t think Taipei has better restaurants. A bigger variety of restaurants, sure, but any common food seen in Taipei can be acquired in Kaohsiung.

Sometimes I like Kaohsiung more because it seems less pretentious, but that’s just a feeling.

5 Likes