Kaohsiung vs Taipei

Which city out of the two do you prefer and why? Also, which city according to you is better for the long-timer? More liveable and better to settle!?!

Kaohsiung is gonna get their own MRT system sometime late this year. I think that’ll make it a really sweet place.
It’s the same old story: land is cheaper in Kaohsiung so stuff is cooler and more spacious. And don’t forget the beach.

I really like it down here. The weather’s great and so are the people. I prefer the slower pace of life. The only thing I miss about not being in Taipei is the salsa dancing and the Saturday night theater tickets for international, Broadway-style shows. In Kaohsiung the performancews are usually held on a Thursday night, interfering with my work schedule.

Going to have to say Kaohsiung. The people in KHH seem to be nicer and the cost of living is lower.

1 Like

I vote for Taichung! (I know it wasn’t in the question, but I had to put in my 2nt’s worth)

KHH beats Taipei hands down, namely because its not, well, its not Taipei.

I’ve lived in both places…and I agree, KHH is a much better choice.

• cost of living is cheaper
  • better weather
  • nicer people
  • close to Kenting

Plus KKH is on the ocean and there are many water related sites and activites to do. My wife and I love it there and her family lives there.

Check the pollution index. Kaohsiung has cleaner air than Taipei recently also.

KHH has great weather (if you’re into heat and sun, I am). More laid back than Taipei, and I liked the fact that it was on the ocean. I used to go to the university beach almost every weekend, it wasn’t a great beach by any means but it was cool to be a 10 minute ride away from relaxation on the sand with a few good mates and a few beers and the waves in front of you. Monkey Mountain is also decent for day walks, and the traffic in the city wasn’t too awful (comparatively).

I have traveled between the 2 cities pretty often in the last few years as I have business in both, but have esentially been living here in the South and travelling to Taibei often.
For Taibei I like the choice of foreign restaurants, bars etc, the subway, the English language bookshops like Page One. I dislike the rent, the weather and the traffic jams and difficultly for getting a parking space although I prefer the way people drive in Taibei. Since I speak Mandarin pretty well but only very limited Taiwanese I always found it easier to talk with and understand people in Taibei. Also I can’t say I agree with the notion that people are more friendly in the South. I have virtually never seen or heard of the types of unprovoked beatings on foreigners that have been common down here at times.
Ulitimately for a long time I prefered staying in Taibei but business and other factors kept me in the South. That said just where you live in the city can change your view of things quite a bit. Last year I bought a place in KHH (Gaoxiong). Only 6 km from WuFu Lu (one of the biggest roads in the city), but it is right on a beach surrounded mostly by trees rather than the usual white tile buildings, scooters etc etc. Ever since then I have prefered staying down here. Now time for me to let myself do some free advertising. If you go to www.escape41.com and go into the photos section you can see some pics to get more idea of what sort of place it is and why I prefer staying here.

Looks like a great place!
What are your opening times?

wow looks like a great place !! I would go if i was there.

On weekdays we open at 3:30 until at least 11 pm. On weekends we open at lunch time (ie about 12) and stay open until at least 12 on Fri and Sat nights. If we have customers come in before the closing time we are quite willing to stay open for a while longer. We hope to extend the opening hours in the future.

I’ve lived in both Taipei and Kaohsiung. First Taipei, then Kaohsiung, then back to Taipei.

Hands down, I prefer to live in Taipei for a number of reasons. Here’s one: as a foreigner, I get a lot fewer stares and comments in Taipei than I did in Kaohsiung. As a runner, people were constantly yelling things to me, which got really annoying. Maybe it’s because I lived right in the city, so there were always a ton of people around.

I liked the cheap food and rent in KH, but getting around was a hassle since I don’t drive a scooter. I had to walk everywhere. After living in Taipei, it just seemed really inconvenient to go anywhere that wasn’t within walking distance. Also, the slower pace of life kind of bugged me.

I’m glad to be back in Taipei!

I got sick of hearing about the “Love River” and the “wide roads.” Puh-lease.

Yup being a Taipei-ite myself, the good thing about Kaohsiung was that it wasnt Taipei, but the bad thing about Kaohsiung was also that it wasnt Taipei.

ONe cannot replace the other. But at least there is now the high speed train to go hither and thither , for those not happy to wing it and a little too chicken for the wild chicken buses.

Vive la difference !!

[quote=“Gym Rat”]
I liked the cheap food and rent in KH, but getting around was a hassle since I don’t drive a scooter. I had to walk everywhere. [/quote]

I think this says it all. There’s 90% of your frustrations right there. Surviving outside of central Taipei without a scooter? - impossible.

As an cosmopolitan urbanite, Taipei is really the only place to be. Kaohsiung and Taizhong are a good places to visit.

[quote=“Quentin”][quote=“Gym Rat”]
I liked the cheap food and rent in KH, but getting around was a hassle since I don’t drive a scooter. I had to walk everywhere. [/quote]

I think this says it all. There’s 90% of your frustrations right there. Surviving outside of central Taipei without a scooter? - impossible.[/quote]

Last time I was in KHH, I believe I saw buses on the roads like in Taipei.
Choose the right neighbourhood and it should be just as convenient as any central city.
Of course if you are teaching English, no matter where you are, you’ll need some kind of transportation…to get you from one end of town to the other and back and forth day in and day out :laughing: .
KHH will also get an MRT which should make things much more convenient.

If you don’t speak or read Chinese, the buses in the city are for all intents and purposes useless. Most foreigners in Kaohsiung and Taipei don’t speak or read Chinese.