Apple Pay, Google Pay, Samsung Pay

Which one/s are in use or soon coming to Taiwan on smartphones?

I asked about Apple Pay in this thread:

I’ve got one of my credit cards signed up for it, but because that’s basically my “Costco only” card I haven’t even used Apple Pay yet. My main hope was to use it in Quanlian / PxMart, but it’ll only work there with a couple of banks’ credit cards, not mine.

My wife is using 街口 and loves it. She’s signed me up too but I’ve yet to use it.

They’re like all otg now. Apple Pay has been here the longest tho. As well Line Pay is also accepted at a lot of places although it doesn’t work for the majority of overseas credit cards and you still have to show a barcode every time, but they have a really good points system so I use it quite a bit. (Works at Family and seven) As for where to use Apple Pay this is a current list.

Who pays the 3% fee? The customer or the store?

Would using Apple pay cost me more than just waving the actual credit card?

The store.

Are you guys using any one of these?
Which one and why?

1 Like

My girlfriend always makes sure to remind me to use Apple Pay at restaurants for the extra 0.5% cash back with my credit card :man_shrugging:

Other than that, I feel that handing over a credit card is easier than handing out my phone.

2 Likes

I’m on Google Wallet that is replacing Google Pay.

Haven’t used it in Taiwan as my currently registered cards, credit/debit/etc are from outside Taiwan.

I’m also trying to find contactless ATMs that can accept cardless transactions (Contactless ATMs, No Card Needed)

1 Like

I’m thinking about setting up a Samsung Pay just for the convenience of not carrying many credit cards around.
It seems it also works with Easy Card, so that’s a good thing, I guess.

1 Like

I think generally they all work with everything, if you can set them up correctly.

Credit cards, local or international, for example, shouldn’t be problem.

Easycard, Yoyo card, not a problem, as long as have local Taiwan bank, I believe that’s necessary.

1 Like

Wanted to avoid creating another thread; Does anyone have up-to-date information on which methods work for FamilyMart, Seven, PX-Mart and any other convenience stores which works with credit cards + debit cards from the US?

Also any digital payment services that work with Carrefour, RT-Mart (大潤發), and other hypermarkets/supermarkets?

Was hoping there is a way to maintain credit usage in Taiwan for my US credit cards.

I am using my US credit card with Google Pay at RT, Carrefour, Ikea and at major shopping malls.

Can only use local cards at Family Mart, 7Eleven. PX Mart only takes specific local card. I am using one from CTBC.

2 Likes

I thought so, but I’m having difficulties setting up my Fubon credit card. Which is a problem because it’s the card I use the most due to the 3% cash back.
Were you able to do that?

I pay for most things with my Apple Watch which is tied to my US debit card (I get paid in my US bank account). It’s been working great for me so far. This even works on the Kaohsiung MRT (but not Taipei). Good thing I live in KH.

So far the only places that don’t accept my Apple Pay are the KH Light Rail, buses, ferry, and FamilyMart (WTF?), so for those I use Line Pay which is tied to my local bank account. This can get quite annoying as I have to regularly make sure my local bank account is funded.

3 Likes

I use Samsung Pay, Google pay, LINE Pay, 街口, just for the convenience and ease (dont have to take out my CC’s all the time). These are accepted almost everywhere (Gas stations, McDs, convenience stores, hypermarts, 生活百貨’s, almost all restaurants etc) .Very easy to set up and super easy to use (just scan your fingerprint or type your p/w). My Samsung phone can only use either Google pay or Samsung pay (depends on which one you set as your default) and since Google pay doesn’t support Citibank Cards, I have decided to stick to my Samsung Wallet.

For those big stores which have their own app like PX Mart, Carrefour, COSTCO, QBurger, Watsons, POYA, I downloaded their app and set up all my CCs to use with their app…it’s really convenient! :+1:

2 Likes

Do you see any advantage between Samsung Pay and Google Pay?

Not much difference between these two…It’s just that Samsung pay seems to accept more banks than Google & they update their list of co-operating banks faster than Google. It’s been more than 2 years since I’ve installed Google Pay and they still haven’t co-operated with Citibank!

The good thing about GP is that it is faster than SP when I have to make a payment. Just open the app, select which card you want to use, beep it and you’re done while with SP, I have to Scan my fingerprint or enter my p/w one more time before making the payment.

1 Like

I use Samsung Pay and Google Pay since some cards are not supported by Samsung Pay.

Unfortunately being my phone a HK version Samsung I cannot add the Easycard on Samsung Pay (only phones bought in TW with TW software can do that).

I also use Line Pay, OpenWallet, PX Pay, Jiekou Pay, Taishin Pay. Line Pay mostly at places where no card is taken, Openwallet only at 7-11 linked to the Cathay Cube card. PX Pay only at PX Mart not to pay the stupid card fee they add when paying with credit card. Jiekou and Taishin very sporadically only when there is a promotion or only non-cash payment method allowed.

1 Like

I think I need to re-clarify my question; if I tie any digital payment methods to my US CCs; do any of these digital payment methods allow me to use my US CCs for everything in Taiwan?

If there is no single, magical payment that allows me to use my US CCs for everything, is there at least one of the digital payment technologies (Google, Apple, Samsung, etc) which allow me to use attached US CCs at the following: FamilyMart, Seven, and PX-mart?

I wish to keep any Taiwanese bank accounts I open to minimum usage as possible.

1 Like

Not that I know of. Many shops simply refuse cards not issued in Taiwan. Line Pay can sometimes be used to get around this, but I’ve had less luck with Google/Apple pay.

2 Likes